Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (boyjones7878)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-27-2016, 5:56 AM Reply   
i was out riding on ft. loudon this weekend in knoxville and my friend had on this black wristband. its like a livestrong wristband but it says "taking life back one profile at a time" so i asked him what it was and he said he got it through leavesocial.com because he decided to get off facebook after some stuff he read on there. seems like a pretty good idea. also, who all is going to fire on the water this weekend on norris? i hope it doesn't rain
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2016, 6:51 AM Reply   
Leaving social media!

I give your post 50 Thousand LIKES.

I don't have Facebook/Instagram Ect. Can w/w be considered social media?
Old     (boyjones7878)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-27-2016, 7:40 AM Reply   
haha man i'm right there with you. its like having a second job that you never get paid for. can't leave wakeworld though. been following it for years but never posted until i saw that wristband. felt like it was important enough to share. i say we get behind whatever they are trying to do. take my $5 and i'll wear the crap out of it. peace out facebook
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2016, 8:34 AM Reply   
I saw the wristband more as a reminder for people that are addicted to Facebook To stay away. The yellow liveStrong bracelets were more of statment IMO then a Reminder to the person wearing it.

Back in the day people used to tie a string around the wrist or finger as a Reminder, that they had somthing to do. That's how I saw the Black wrist band.

BTW don't have or never had a FB account.
Old     (boyjones7878)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-27-2016, 9:02 AM Reply   
yeah definitely. i have a fb right now but i find my self asking "why?" almost every day now. my family just booked a cabin in pigeon forge and we've decided to get back to the roots and just bring board games, cards, food, tubes to float the river, etc. and we're leaving our phones at the house. couldn't be more excited.

i've never heard of that string thing but that's pretty clever. whatever works!
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       06-27-2016, 9:58 AM Reply   
I'm defiantly on the loosing side of this one and completely understand the argument. Especially given the number of people who can't put their phones down.

But from working in the digital space for sometime now I'll chime in with my thoughts.

Facebook - It has changed over the years to the point that if you actively "like" and hide post it will alter the content of your feed to post that are only relevant to your interest. Ultimately, It takes some active management to filter out the ****. IE: if someone sends you a Farmville invite and you accept to be nice, well then your going to start getting more. Alternatively, if you like pages that you're genuinely interested in, then you will receive more relevant content. I just checked my feed and it's all news articles and friends vacation pictures.

Instagram - simple, don't follow your friends. There are some REALLY good content providers that gives me something to do while on the can or in the back of a cab. It is up to you to curate a feed that interest you. Some of my favorites: ****jerry, tank.sinatra, collinharrington, natgeo, drpimplepopper, carinstagram, car_vintage, all the board companies, all the boat companies, and all the reps in the industry.

Snapchat - It's used to rub it in peoples face when you do something cool, or sexting. So when you open it, expect to see that.

Tinder/Bumble - I'll claim the 5th on this one......

enjoy.....
Old     (boyjones7878)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-27-2016, 10:11 AM Reply   
haha well said. love the snapchat and tinder comments. you're right about fb and instagram though. i do think there will be a movement (if you will) of people that just get fed up with it altogether. i'm just happy to see that at least one company is actually organizing something to help people rather than contribute to the nonsense. women will literally dress (or not dress) in anything for a selfie if they think it will get more likes. men like to post stuff like "loving my new shaker bottle" when its obvious that the posted the picture because they are in the gym flexing. basically, everything nowadays is about "look at me and how awesome i am or how attractive i am". this youtube guy named JP made some super funny video about it all. check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOnKO5KDubc
Old     (boyjones7878)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-27-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
the covert exposure selfie is savage. too funny
Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-27-2016, 10:56 AM Reply   
I'm so done with FB. It hardly ever chooses to feed stuff about people I care about and almost always feeds stuff about people I don't. My daughter will post a bunch of stuff and I won't see it. Some random person from High School posts one thing and I see it at the top of my feed. There are probably ways to fine tune it, but I don't have the time to learn how to do it. It also bugs me that I have to keep modifying my privacy settings to keep my stuff private. Does anyone else feel a little uneasy when FB suggests someone you might know that is 5 people removed and think to yourself, "How does FB know I may know that person?"
I might be getting old...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
It's funny how people are Down on FB but promoting other Social Sights? Example. Remember when people were all over MySpace. They were Blasting My Space and promoting FB. Is FB the new MySpace? Is Instagram the New FB.

My point is Their will always be a new "social media" the next One being better then the Next. No matter how good/bad the Next one is, it will never solve the issue with people being addicted to Self Promotion and people being obsessed in others business/lives and people not being able to put down the phone.
Old     (boyjones7878)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-27-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
self promotion in general isn't healthy. its a constant search for some form of happiness you'll never find. i remember back when i was in middle school (wow that was forever ago) i wore a rubber band around my wrist and if i caught myself cussing i would snap that rubber band real hard as punishment.....a little weird but it worked. wonder if that wristband they are selling will sort of work the same like grant said about it being a reminder to make better decisions
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       06-27-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyjones7878 View Post
self promotion in general isn't healthy. its a constant search for some form of happiness you'll never find. i remember back when i was in middle school (wow that was forever ago) i wore a rubber band around my wrist and if i caught myself cussing i would snap that rubber band real hard as punishment.....a little weird but it worked. wonder if that wristband they are selling will sort of work the same like grant said about it being a reminder to make better decisions
That is actually a really good point. I hate, HATE self & paid promotions. Last month my girlfriend showed up in some of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen. Its not that I have good taste, but I knew these were ugly. Her defense: "Kylie Jenner wears these all the time" when I asked her how she knew this she cited Instagram.

Psychologist have found similarities in from getting "likes" and "followers" to the same high you get from purchasing something new. Some test show the same results in humans that mice do from hitting a button to get hits of nicotine. All-in-all creating social media celebrities.

PS - If anyone is thinking I shouldn't be talking **** behind my gfs back about her shoes. Don't worry, I tell her all the time how bad they are and that Kylie is laughing all the way to the bank.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2016, 12:56 PM Reply   
This is going to show my age but I grew up on AIM when it first came out and everybody would get on there and just put you down for no reason because it was the first time you could talk crap and not have to hear the other persons voice or face them. Lets just say it put a bad taste in my mouth for social media. So I never had a myspace and still don't have a face book. Just over a year ago I got a instagram just so I could post pictures of my (9 month old now) son and boat LOL. But I hate political crap on there and also when some girl I might barely know get dumped and post a bunch of crap old how she is better off now. I'm like I know the guy and he's the one better off. LOL
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       06-27-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have not heard of "leavesocial.com" but i'm all in!!

does it count if I deactivate my personal account, but then monitor my companies facebook page? I can't deactivate the companies facebook page...
Old     (boyjones7878)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-28-2016, 6:24 AM Reply   
yeah the girls getting dumped posts are always hilarious. "oh i'm so much stronger now than i was before blah blah blah". I like how on leavesocial.com it says

"You weren’t surrounded by drama or relationships that ended with cheesy, melodramatic song lyrics."

so dang true. i ordered my wristband yesterday and deactivated my fb about 15 mins ago! got an e-mail saying its already shipped so i'll let you guys know how it goes. my last post on fb was about leavesocial and apparently quite a few of my "friends" had heard of it and were planning on doing the same. i sort of hope this takes off, it'll be nice to be around my friends on the lake without them taking selfies or not enjoying being out there because they can't put their phone down long enough to enjoy the beauty. If any of you all have ever been on norris you know what i'm talking about.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-28-2016, 11:50 AM Reply   
First, I don't condone FB addiction or phone obsession at all. But you guys saying you don't, never have, and never will have a FB account sound the same to me as the people back in the late 1800s must have sounded bashing the invention of the telephone. As long as you use it a reasonable amount of time in an appropriate manner, it's just another form of communication.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-29-2016, 3:17 PM Reply   
I completely unfollowed every single person on FB and only like and follow sports teams, athletes, boats, hotels, cars, yachts, basically all my hobbies.
My FB experience is awesome now. Its like reading a magazine of all my favorite stuff in one place.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2016, 9:33 PM Reply   
Facebook tracks you enough said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-you-...ebook-feature/

Keep playing with Facebook folks keep making Zuckerburg rich!

He needs the Money so he can build the wall around his house in Hawiia and Track You LOL LOL LOL suckers!!!!

Last edited by grant_west; 06-29-2016 at 9:35 PM.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-29-2016, 10:58 PM Reply   
I kind of find the idea of leavesocial.com a little humorous. "Don't be like the herd mentality of people on Facebook, be part of the herd mentality of people off facebook."