Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-03-2016, 2:15 PM Reply   
Been looking through the this forum for some info but can't seem to find anything for the budget I'm looking in. Looking to buy a boat in the fall or spring in the range of 60k-70k. This will be our family's first wakeboard boat and want to get the best bang for our buck. We do some wakeboarding and kneeboarding but want to learn to surf as well. My local store is a mastercraft dealer so we have looked at the nxt20. Could possibly stretch our budget to the nxt22. We really liked the extra space up front and the width of the 22. My questions is what other options should we explore? Really like the idea of having new with warranty and getting the latest technology but would I be better off buying used? When looking at some entry level boats I like the fact that mastercraft will actually put their name on their entry level boats. Other manufacturers have an entry brands like Malibu (Axis). Any advice would be appreciated.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-03-2016, 2:48 PM Reply   
If you want new in that range look at the Supreme's. Incredible waves for a price point boat.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-03-2016, 3:29 PM Reply   
Axis A22 or T22 would be my recommendation. I personally own a Malibu LSV but wouldn't hesitate to trade it for an Axis. Great wakes and performance for the price. Not as much bling as other boats but if you are looking at getting into boarding and surfing it would be a great option.

I don't have any experience with the newer Supremes or MB boats but I've heard good things about both.

For me personally, the NXT20 would fall near the bottom of the list.
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-04-2016, 2:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post

For me personally, the NXT20 would fall near the bottom of the list.

That's not the first time I've heard that around these forums. What are the cons of this boat, and why do people have them at the bottom of the list in this price range?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-04-2016, 9:35 AM Reply   
1. You can get an a/t22 for the pice of an nxt 20

2. The Axjs have better wakes.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-04-2016, 9:54 AM Reply   
I would look at a Moomba Craz or Axis at that price. I have a MasterCraft but don't like the NXT line at all.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       07-04-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
Check out the Tige R21 as well...Z1 hull (so awesome surf wave) without the Z1 price tag....I just sat in an Axis A22 and T22 this past weekend and both boats were awesome and both under $70k fairly loaded....
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-04-2016, 4:08 PM Reply   
buy a 3 or 4 year old boat with minimal hours. you can fond 50 to 100 hour boats that are like new and get a really nice boat and save your money. 70k you have so many options
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-05-2016, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrinse View Post
I have a MasterCraft but don't like the NXT line at all.
Can you elaborate? As I stated above I do hear a lot of people say this but I'm just trying to educate myself before purchasing something and want to get others experience and ideas as to why they don't like this boat. Some people may say they don't like the look or the layout or something of that nature. With that being opinions, I can live with that. What I'm trying to figure out is if there are issues with this boat. i.e. doesn't have enough power, or doesn't have a good wake, etc...
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2016, 5:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrlee View Post
Can you elaborate? As I stated above I do hear a lot of people say this but I'm just trying to educate myself before purchasing something and want to get others experience and ideas as to why they don't like this boat. Some people may say they don't like the look or the layout or something of that nature. With that being opinions, I can live with that. What I'm trying to figure out is if there are issues with this boat. i.e. doesn't have enough power, or doesn't have a good wake, etc...

I just think the NXT is not a good value. I would choose a Moomba, or Axis, or MB or a lot of other options at the NXT price point. Their materials, layout, style, performance are all better at that price in my opinion.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
What he said ^^^ none of the builders make a bad boat some just give you more bang for your buck. It comes down to what is important to you. For us we only surf so the surf wake, size of the boat rough water ride ,and price are what is important to us. We like supreme and are on our second one. We love them but they are not for everyone.( you need to like the way it looks your paying for it. ) just go demo what's in your price range and buy the one you like best. Here is a pic of our latest supreme. I personally think it looks nice for a budget boat LOL
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2016, 6:14 PM Reply   
Ok thought about it some more. Don't forget about the dealer. The dealer is in my opinion more important than what you buy. It does not matter if you are buying a budget brand or a G23 if you do not have a dealer that stands behind what they sell and will go the extra mile for you chances are you will not be happy with whatever you choose. I would change brand's before I changed my dealer.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2016, 7:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Ok thought about it some more. Don't forget about the dealer. The dealer is in my opinion more important than what you buy. It does not matter if you are buying a budget brand or a G23 if you do not have a dealer that stands behind what they sell and will go the extra mile for you chances are you will not be happy with whatever you choose. I would change brand's before I changed my dealer.
How does that work for the people that have the nearest inboard dealer 6 hours away but have the best Bayliner dealer down the street. Do ya go with the best inboard dealer 6 hours away?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2016, 9:06 PM Reply   
Drive the six hours then use the bayliner dealer for service.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-06-2016, 4:06 AM Reply   
If sticking to NXT20, I would recommend skipping it and looking at a20, or moomba mondo. If you are going to stretch to the NXT22, I would go with it and not look back. Wake/wave on the 20 is kinda "meh". The 22, on the other hand, is awesome for both. A22 is also a great option in the 22'er value segment.

Get the 22
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-06-2016, 7:56 AM Reply   
I was leaning towards the 22. I can't imagine wishing I had a smaller boat but I'm sure wishing I had a bigger boat is highly possible if I had the 20.
I was able to look at a moomba mondo yesterday. Nice 23' boat. Great space and nicer tower than the nxt. I felt like the the vinyl seemed nicer in the nxt and even on the show room floor the moomba had a couple of places where the foam pads were peeling. Other than that I felt like it was pretty comparable. Moomba's 23' boat would end up costing right around the same (maybe slightly less) than the nxt22. Warranty was 3yrs vs Mastercraft' s 5yr warranty.
Although I haven't seen either boat in action they both seemed nice on the showroom floor. Next step would be to demo both. I do have a supreme dealer nearby so I'll check it out soon too.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2016, 8:06 AM Reply   
It's sad when I open a thread that the title say "Best value for a budget boat" and the budget price point is 60K-70K. Why not buy a used Malibu LSV or Supra 24ssv (which is what I have) or 230. For a even better budget in the 30K-40K
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-06-2016, 9:24 AM Reply   
Fully agree. I would buy something used in the 2008-2010 range. You can find lots of great low hour boats for 50 to 55k. I'm not selling mine but my 2009 24' Supra has throws a fantastic surf wake, wakeboarding wake, and we ski behind it. We regularly have 12 people on the boat and there is still a ton of room to move around. I'm guessing this boat would run about 55k right now but sold for over 100k new. I'm betting you can find similar deals on other brands too. You could be in a ncer boat for 60k and you will take a much smaller depreciation hit purchasing a boat a few years old. Mine is still in brand new condition and I'm sure others are too.
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-06-2016, 9:38 AM Reply   
What's sad is that the market has labeled these boats "budget boats".
When top of the line boats go for double that price, 60-70k is considered budget friendly.
I have not counted out buying a used boat. I just know there is a lot of new technology out there that I would like to take advantage of and a warranty is very important to me. Once I spend the initial money on the boat I want to feel confident that I'm not going to have any major expenses that aren't covered.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-06-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
B o a t - means Break Out Another Thousand.

I think you have "the market" confused, why used prices are so strong.

Last edited by denverd1; 07-06-2016 at 9:46 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2016, 11:11 AM Reply   
I agree Zac it's sad to think what the market says is a budget boat. I just want you to know I'm not calling you out.

But I wouldn't be scared of a used boat because boat are fairly easy to work on and the only new technology I would really want is some kind of surf gate.
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-06-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
I, by no means took it as a "call out". I know there are some benefits to a used boat. Less depreciation and someone else has already worked out the quirks. I'm also new to the boating world as this will be my first true wakeboard/surfing boat and I'm still getting educated.
Old     (Throwaway1)      Join Date: Nov 2013       07-06-2016, 11:51 AM Reply   
If you have a dealer nearby, I'd be looking at the MB.

For the money, you are buying way more boat, and way less fluff (magazine ads, big national events, sponsored A List riders) That stuff all adds up, and you are left with the bill.
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-06-2016, 12:50 PM Reply   
I think the 23' Moomba, as you mentioned, is worth a strong look. But maybe I'm biased

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-06-2016, 2:05 PM Reply   
Supra24, thats a damn good looking boat. Is build quality or anything else much different than your supra?
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-06-2016, 4:10 PM Reply   
Checked out the supreme boats today. Understand that they are coming out with a new 22' for 2017. Anyone have any info on that? Looks like a great boat at a good price point. Any supreme owners here that can chime in. What are the pros and cons of the supreme boats?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2016, 5:01 PM Reply   
Zac: Would you rather have a new more basic boat or a boat that is a few years old but loaded with options? sure, maybe not the latest and greatest but you'd be hard pressed to tell anyone that a 2012 ______ (name the boat) isn't a nice boat still. I wouldn't get caught up in warranty either. Any boat can have issues. You can buy new and have a warranty or you can save yourself thousands and buy and older boat and pay for the unseen issue.....if it arises. Most issues are service or lack there of related or user error at which point new or used means nothing.
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-06-2016, 8:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Supra24, thats a damn good looking boat. Is build quality or anything else much different than your supra?
Thank you. The overall quality has improved greatly, imo. I also spend some time around a Supra SE and see the drastic improvements from my 06 in it, obviously. With the Moomba, though, I like nearly everything about it in comparison, but mostly the simplicity. It is hands down an easier user experience and a big reason for the upgrade.

If you find value in new with warranty, Moomba is making a solid boat. Lots of great options if looking used.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2016, 10:01 PM Reply   
The 23 ft Moomba you looked at was the Mojo. Not the mondo. The Mondo is their 20ft'r. The latest 23 ft Mojo is absolutely awesome. Wakes are top notch and Autoflow works much better than their old manual surf gadget.

The Craz is also top notch in the 22ft length in wakes.

And if you're looking 20ft range still I can only imagine what the new Helix from Moomba gives you. If it follows suit to the Craz and to the revamped Mojo(which no doubt it does) its A heck ifs price point. Moomba has put out some killer new hulls and top deck designs over the past 4-5yrs. Performance is on par with just about every boat in its size category. Hard to not give them props from where the started to what they are pumping out now.

Axis is no doubt built a great reputation on wakes. I just think interior wise Moomba gets you little more modern styling and little better interiorsfor the $$
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2016, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
The 23 ft Moomba you looked at was the Mojo. Not the mondo. The Mondo is their 20ft'r. The latest 23 ft Mojo is absolutely awesome. Wakes are top notch and Autoflow works much better than their old manual surf gadget.

The Craz is also top notch in the 22ft length in wakes.

And if you're looking 20ft range still I can only imagine what the new Helix from Moomba gives you. If it follows suit to the Craz and to the revamped Mojo(which no doubt it does) its A heck ifs price point. Moomba has put out some killer new hulls and top deck designs over the past 4-5yrs. Performance is on par with just about every boat in its size category. Hard to not give them props from where the started to what they are pumping out now.

Axis is no doubt built a great reputation on wakes. I just think interior wise Moomba gets you little more modern styling and little better interiorsfor the $$

Agree with all of this. The Craz and Mojo are both awesome boats.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       07-07-2016, 8:14 AM Reply   
This might be a boat to look at.
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5671341607.html
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-07-2016, 9:15 AM Reply   
Should be able to score a 238 supreme for your budget or a 226 supreme for sure.
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-09-2016, 9:07 AM Reply   
Looked at the S211 and S238. Very impressed with the quality and features. Hopefully going to do a demo soon. S211 is prob more my speed. The S238 is just a little too big.
Any new owners of an S211?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2016, 9:39 AM Reply   
Look hard at the 226 over the s211 not much more $$ for more boat
Old     (zrlee)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-09-2016, 11:44 AM Reply   
I have not seen one in person but don't really like the pickle fork front design. Also was told by the dealer that it takes away some of the depth in the front bow area which is where my kids like to sit. I really liked the deep hull design and having the depth in the seats. Safer for young kids. Although it would be nice having a little extra room. I will try to check one out in person before I pull the trigger.
Old     (Spotless)      Join Date: May 2016       07-09-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
Fully agree. I would buy something used in the 2008-2010 range. You can find lots of great low hour boats for 50 to 55k. I'm not selling mine but my 2009 24' Supra has throws a fantastic surf wake, wakeboarding wake, and we ski behind it. We regularly have 12 people on the boat and there is still a ton of room to move around. I'm guessing this boat would run about 55k right now but sold for over 100k new. I'm betting you can find similar deals on other brands too. You could be in a ncer boat for 60k and you will take a much smaller depreciation hit purchasing a boat a few years old. Mine is still in brand new condition and I'm sure others are too.
Looking back at the 13 boats I have bought over the last 20 years, the answer to used premium or new budget question changes from year to year. I just got back from driving the 2017 Supra Moomba line up. The technology changes seems to be growing exponential today. Unless I was limited by credit restriction or just could not spend a dime more than X$, I would look new Moomba over a used Supra. There is just way too much difference Raptor motors, bigger better ballast, bigger wake plates, surf systems, integration of surf systems for launch control, audio controls, snap out carpet/seadeak, much more solid towers.
Old     (mojo16)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-09-2016, 6:49 PM Reply   
We are going to test out an S238 early next week. Local shop here has one fully loaded going for 95K Canadian ... so about 70Kish USD.

From what I have read (unfortunately biased in one way or another) it throws a pretty mean surf wave. Very little space under the seats though which could be an issue for adding weight etc.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2016, 7:30 PM Reply   
you could get a 2013 sv233 or sv244 for less than 70k equal technology, if not less in the s238 than a 2013 or 2014 centurion. I would really shop 2 or 3 year old top end boats before buying a "budget boat"
Old     (Tryathlete)      Join Date: Mar 2015       07-09-2016, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrlee View Post
What's sad is that the market has labeled these boats "budget boats".
When top of the line boats go for double that price, 60-70k is considered budget friendly.
I have not counted out buying a used boat. I just know there is a lot of new technology out there that I would like to take advantage of and a warranty is very important to me. Once I spend the initial money on the boat I want to feel confident that I'm not going to have any major expenses that aren't covered.

My neighbor has a 2005 Nautique Super Air Team Edition 220 with the Z06 engine and she paid $40k 6 years ago for it. You could add a surf system easily and be under $45. I'd challenge anyone trying to justify spending more to try to get a better boat. It's simply gorgeous.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2016, 8:55 PM Reply   
J lot's of room under the seats to add extra weight in the 238 look at the pic the seats are deep. Doug is right more technology in a 12 or 13 enzo but the 238out surf's it. Another thing to consider is after this year the classic enzo is being discontinued which will affect resale value
Attached Images

Old     (mojo16)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-09-2016, 9:25 PM Reply   
OK thanks for the pic. My '14 Mojo seats are a lot deeper but there is still room in that 238 for sure. We are nothing but surf so for the price I don't see how you can go wrong with the Supreme.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2016, 11:21 PM Reply   
So now a budget boat is 70k? Wakeboarding is lost, so far from its roots
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-11-2016, 9:18 AM Reply   
Darren: Agreed, but that is the price to pay if you want all the "toys". If you just want to wakeboard, you don't need a LOT of the extra niceties that come these days.

You can be wakeboarding EASY with an SN2001 and have a killer wake, room for four. Hell, you can wakeboard behind any I/O or outboard with 150-200 HP.

But these are luxury items and bells and whistles cost. Plus with the rise of surfing the boat hulls are different or we're adding systems to make better waves.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-11-2016, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
So now a budget boat is 70k? Wakeboarding is lost, so far from its roots
+1
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-12-2016, 10:36 AM Reply   
If I were you I'd look closely at Sanger, http://www.sangerboats.com/
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-12-2016, 12:30 PM Reply   
Sanger V237 all the way.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-12-2016, 12:37 PM Reply   
^ yup. might as well have a custom boat
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-12-2016, 12:39 PM Reply   
The Supreme wakeboard wake sucks, from what I've heard. Great Surf boat, but IMO, even if you're not planning on wakeboarding, the resale value of having a "do it all" boat would be much preferred than having a "surf only" boat.

Sanger and MB might be good boats, but their dealer network isn't even close to that of Axis, Moomba, Supreme.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-12-2016, 1:01 PM Reply   
I definitetly wouldn't buy a lesser boat because there's a building full of sales-douches right down the street
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-13-2016, 2:57 PM Reply   
Buy something with surf gates for sure; you will appreciate this now (and later when you try to sell). We've got a 2015 T23 that's fully loaded with stock 350, and it's within your budget. It provides the space, necessities, surf gates, and most importantly for us is the wake itself. Whether you're wakeboarding or surfing, I don't think you'll find a paralleled experience with any other boat in your price range.