Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Deeznutz)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
My gutt is telling me keep it full during winterization, but I just want to make sure!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-27-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
full with stabilizer
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2011, 8:18 PM Reply   
i've done it all throughout the years, and nothing ever went wrong, but I'd say any level with stabilizer. Actually of the opinion as little in the tank as possible, and fresh gas when the new season begins, but that's just me and my opinion.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
Full fights condensation
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-27-2011, 9:27 PM Reply   
I was told by a marine mechanic that condensation is only an issue with metal gas tanks, the plastic ones don't build moisture. Makes sense, it doesn't happen in plastic gas cans or newer car fuel tanks. Another thing to remember is that Stabilzers have an effective life of about 90 days I think, so if your winter is longer you'll need to re-add stabilizer to the fuel.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-28-2011, 4:17 AM Reply   
Non ethanol gas keep the tank full with treatment.

E-10 gas keep the tank empty with treatment.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2011, 5:34 AM Reply   
Something I always consider on that is how far I have to tow it to store it. If I don't have to take it too far, I fill it up. If I have to tow it a couple hours away and then a couple hours back come spring, I try to leave it lower to keep the weight down.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-28-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
Never fill your tank just before storing it. Gas goes bad the longer it sits. Condensation is not an issue with plastic tanks, as a previous poster stated. Just put stabilizer in for the proper amount of fuel in the tank, preferrably during the last run of the season.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-28-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
1/8 of a tank plus stabilizier for me
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-28-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
Either fill it with stabilizer, or have it completely empty. If you have it only partly full the fuel has a better chance of going stale even with stabilizer in it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
I was told by a marine mechanic that condensation is only an issue with metal gas tanks, the plastic ones don't build moisture. Makes sense, it doesn't happen in plastic gas cans or newer car fuel tanks.
As was I. I just leave whatever is in there and add Stabil. I also use blue Stabil all summer long to combat the effects of ethenol.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
As was I. I just leave whatever is in there and add Stabil. I also use blue Stabil all summer long to combat the effects of ethenol.
+1 Hate is a wise man.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-28-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
Same here. I treat the last tank or two of gas, and run it down. Typically I end up storing with around 1/4 or 1/2 tank. Gives me room to top it off with fresh gas in the spring. Never had a problem.

Also, if for whatever reason I end up having a problem with the gas turning to varnish (which should take a lot more than a few months), then I sure don't want a full tank of it to deal with.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-28-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
Never drain completely. That can be bad for your fuel lines if left dry. Like said above 1/8 - 1/4 fuel + stabilizer for winter and fill er' up first ride next season. You'll be good to go.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
I like to leave it about 1/4 tank or so. I usually try to put the sta-bil in on my last outing with some fresh gas to make sure it's completely in the system. This year I just put the sta-bil in, put in 5 gallons of fresh gas to get it mixed up and then ran it for about 15 minutes. You can smell the difference on when it's running through the system.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hate is a wise man.
+1
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-29-2011, 9:58 PM Reply   
This will be my 12th year with a boat, and I have always just added Stabilizer for whatever amount of fuel is left in the tank. My last boat and my current Malibu both have plastic tanks. My old boat was 22 years old when I sold it, no fuel filter, and never had a fuel-related issue the entire time (and many, many hours of use) I had it.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-11-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
Like most have said, with stabilizer it really doesn't make too much difference. However, most of the marine guys I've talked to say that you should now store with as little gas as possible in the tank. Back in the days before ethanol, the rule was to store with a full tank, but now with ethanol it's the exact opposite because ethanol draws water from the air into the gas, so the less gas (and therefore the less ethanol) you have the better.

Last edited by phillywakeboarder; 11-11-2011 at 6:35 AM.