Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2014, 8:34 PM Reply   
Next weekend I am heading over to a buddies place to help him winterize his boat. If anybody can give me some ideas of what needs to be done and what tools I might need it would be appreciated.

Since his boat is a direct drive with no ballast I am assuming it should be pretty easy. Basing off of winterizing past boats here is what I am thinking I have to do:

-fill fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer
-Remove drain plugs/knock sensors from each side of the block to drain water.
-Remove drain plugs on manifolds to drain water.
-Remove plug from transimission cooler to drain water.
-Remove at least one water pump hose to drain water.
-pull heater hoses and blow water out of heater hose and core.
-Remove plus one at a time and spray with fogging solution. ***is this still something people do and what are the correct steps if it is.

-Does anybody know where all the drain plugs are on this motor and how many there are?
-My buddy only pug 10-20 hours or so on his boat this year so we aren't going to change the oil or replace the impeller. Is there a trick or way to make sure all the water is out of the raw water pump?

I am assuming I am going to need a fake a lake(or back the boat into the water), an assortment of standard wrenches and sockets, fuel stabilizer, fogging spray. Anything else?

Your help and suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks

polarbill1999
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-12-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
I think you will find some that say fill the tank and some empty.
My opinion is that they use to fill the tank when the were metal to stop condensation and rust.
To me especially with today's ethanol fuel I want it as empty as possible. A couple of years ago I had a little. More than half a tank. I treated it but I still had phase separation in the spring. I try to run it as close to empty as possible.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-21-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
So we got to it last weekend. We only drained the water though. We ended up not being able to get the knock sensor out so my buddy has to head back in a couple of weeks to do that. If there is anything we missed as far as draining please let me know:

-both manifolds
-there was a fitting in the port side of the block that had a red hose. we removed the hose and water drained from the block. does this hose go to something that needs to be drained?
-drained the transmission cooler
-drained the red circulation or raw water pipe that is at the front of the engine.

That is 5 things we drained with a 6th that we know needs to get done. I did read a thread about someone winterizing a vdrive with the same motor. He mentioned that you drain the water in the vdrive. Seeing how a direct drive lacks that is there anything front he transmission back on direct drive that needs to be drained outside of the transmission cooler?
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-21-2014, 7:16 PM Reply   
Given that your buddy isn't sure on this one, I'd just run some antifreeze through it. I've done this one of two ways. 1. I just popped the intake hose off of the through-hull fitting, and rigged up a fitting to a bucket of antifreeze. 2. Now I have a fake a lake, and it simply sucks antifreeze through a short hose out of a bucket. I've never been comfortable that I was getting the trans completely drained. Before I run antifreeze, I drain the block, manifolds, and trans cooler. While I have the hose to the trans off, I stick my shop vac in there to suck out what I can. I know it's probably over the top, but it beats the alternative.