Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
Posted on here a while ago about my new purchase. 2017 MB Tomcat F22, raptor 400. Having lots of fun on the boat so far, there are some issues with the boat that are concerning considering it is brand new. This is my first time owning a NEW boat so was just curious if it's normal to have a little issues, or if I should be concerned. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

1) RPMs seem crazy high. Surfing or wakebording, I'm running 4500-4700 RPMs. Consistent. And even sometimes get as high as 5000. My dealer said that's within range, But that seems high to me. We ride pretty much at sea level. Prop 2275. Not sure I have enough space to add a bigger prop.

2) MIL alarm keeps beeping. All gauges seem fine and it doesn't go into limp mode, but something about a red beeping alarm is concerning.

3) 2 of my tower speakers and one cabin speaker stopped working. I have four tower speakers, xm 9s, The middle two stopped working. I swapped the outer speakers with the inside ones to determine it is the connection and not the speaker itself. But not sure where to begin, is it the wiring? Or is it something on the amp? Or is this something I should just send back because it is new in should be under warranty? Or should I just problem solve myself .

4) I try not to pull on straps for the back compartments, just a habit I guess. But I do have people in the boat who will grab the straps because it is there and it seems like the logical place to grab, but I had one rip off already.

5) cav plate almost seems useless on this boat. On my old boat , 03 Supra launch ssv, the wake plate helped shape and Cleanup both wake and Surf wake. On this boat, if I use the Cav plate at all
It is just pure wash. Destroys any resemblance of a wake.

None of this keeps us off the Water and the boat produces phenomal wake and surf wakes. But for new boat I am just curious if these are all normal. Or five should be calling my dealer or troubleshooting myself. The problem I have is taking it to the dealer knowing it's going to keep me off the water for a little bit . Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-30-2017, 11:03 AM Reply   
Yes you call the dealer and maximize your warranty. You get to pick the boat apart and make them fix it. No need to do anything except complain. It's all included when you buy something with a warranty, enjoy!
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-30-2017, 11:50 AM Reply   
RPM's seem high for a 15.75 pitch prop. My Buddy runs the 2315 12 pitch and only runs 3900 RPM'S @ 23mph 3k ballast on his 15 22 Tomcat with Raptor 400.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2017, 2:22 PM Reply   
Did you demo the boat before purchase?
Old     (ProvoMB52)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-30-2017, 7:11 PM Reply   
Your transmission is a 1.76, rather than the older boats which came with 1.50's usually, so your rpm's will be higher. Our '17 F24 with the Raptor 440 cruises at about 29-30 mph at 4200-4400, but we're at about 6000' elevation. When we are surfing our rpm's are very close to what you are reporting, but we can pull a tree off the bottom of the lake with the torque being created by the prop. We could probably prop up, and have lower rpm's, and a higher cruising speed, but at this point it's not something that is bothering us. We also use more gas on our '17 than we used to on our '12, which had a PCM 410, but again, not something we didn't anticipate with the new motor attached to the higher geared trannyl.

The MIL issue is fixable by your dealer, as well as the other issues on the boat which are broken, or not working. The Cav plate actually does do a great deal on the 23', and 24' boats, but I can't speak to the F22.

If you'll go to the MB Owners forum website, you can find all kinds of users who have dialed in your model, and I think you'll find some good info there.

Boats are mechanical items, and as such, things to break. They can be fixed, but yes you are right, you can either accept a time inconvenience, or live with things until you can't, and then get them fixed.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-30-2017, 8:47 PM Reply   
Talk to your dealer and document the issues...if not keeping you off water, you can arrange to have them fix the boat this fall once the season is over...that is what I always do with "non important" warranty work.
RMS's you can change with a prop swap....doesnt have to be bigger in size to reduce rpm, you can also change pitch. Seems too high to me, I surf on 7k boat with 5k of ballast....and run 3400 rpm with 1.48 gearing. Call Nettle Prop in Austin, TX or ACME.
Other stuff, I cannot speak too as I know nothing about MB since I am on East Coast, we don't see them here
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       07-31-2017, 7:12 AM Reply   
I would get that boat to my dealer. The alarms could be many things, O2 sensors, misfires, bad cats. I would want the issues resolved. All new boats have a punch list of items and it takes 30-50 hours to get misty dialed in.