Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-26-2016, 9:39 PM Reply   
Bringing this thread back to life.

Some of the links don't work for the parts.

I'm gonna do this with a customers Tige, looking for the parts.

Any day figure anything out? I messaged Dennis on Instagram since I as already following him.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-27-2016, 10:20 AM Reply   
I don't have a LED rub rail and if I did just like all of my other projects I would share it and provide links. I know a few people who are doing them but they seem to be pretty tight lipped about how and what they are using for some reason. Not sure if they are trying to get a pattern or what? I'm not Intrested in doing one or I would find out so sorry to say I can't help you
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-27-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
I'm not sure Dennis will tell all the secrets. There were some rumblings with a patent pending I believe. He will tell you a couple of his secrets though!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       12-27-2016, 4:08 PM Reply   
I've been trying to find some information on a DIY led rub rail with no luck yet either. Hopefully someone can post some pics and a how to
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-27-2016, 5:06 PM Reply   
It's not brain surgery. If you wanted to do one IMO it's no big deal just $ Just looking at its $800-$1200 in parts alone. Removing and reinstalling a rub railmis NO JOKE. Not for the timid! so I can see $1000 in labor to install a rub rail. I'm pretty sure most W/W'rs will choke at a 2k rubrail
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-27-2016, 8:43 PM Reply   
This is for a demo boat in my shop, so it's not like I'm paying someone, just using my own time after hours. I can figore out the led part, I just want to know how the led's are covered. Would help to know a little more about the led programming and control. I can do addressable led's, but that's still something new for me.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-28-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
So this tige' rubrail is a lot different then the Malibus that have a pocket. I think to do led's here it may need a whole different rubrail.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2016, 8:00 AM Reply   
Sorry but that's Never gonna work.

The Tacco rub Rails have a deep recessed channel. You can see the white. This is the hard plastic
Back bone of the rub rail. This deep channel is where the SMT led strip sits down and into. The strip needs to be or should be Counter sunk so if you bump the rub rail the LED's don't get damaged. Both the rub rail and the SMT LED's are common. What you need to source is the clear insert. The Round tubing or Side admitting fiber optic that will replace the black round tube that I'm holding in this picture.
Attached Images

Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-28-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Look at this forum below. I had looking into this a while ago and save this site. It might help.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...pictures/page6
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-28-2016, 9:38 AM Reply   
You for sure need the deep channel like Grant is showing. Tige, Malibu, Mastercraft and any of the stainless steal rub rails would need to be fully replaced with the style that Grant is showing. Then you would need to install some waterproof LED's with a programmer like the Wetsounds 4 Zone. ($450.00) Then finish it off with a product like this. https://www.altecweb.com/home.asp?cat=RangeE02

Not sure if this is UV resistant or not but you for for sure want one that is so it doesn't yellow in less than one season.

I was going to try this but once I found out I would have to replace the rub rail I said Nope.
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-28-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Look at this forum below. I had looking into this a while ago and save this site. It might help.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...pictures/page6
He just stuck them under the rub rail. If you are going to do that just buy some crap LED's off Ebay and stick them on that night, have fun and rip them off in the morning. You could do that about 20 times and it will cost less then replacing the rub rail and putting in a Zone controller.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-28-2016, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobs0222i View Post
He just stuck them under the rub rail. If you are going to do that just buy some crap LED's off Ebay and stick them on that night, have fun and rip them off in the morning. You could do that about 20 times and it will cost less then replacing the rub rail and putting in a Zone controller.
Yeah that makes sense. You could get a new rubrail and remove the center and put the rope lights inside as an option. They show some other rub rails on line that you could use.
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-28-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
https://www.yescomusa.com/products/f...ing-50ft-blue#

Someone should buy this and try to jam it into the rub rail. I think it is 120 volt though.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-29-2016, 8:29 PM Reply   
I understand about them being recessed, read my comments above please.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-30-2016, 9:29 PM Reply   
i think you're screwed as far as a "normal" rub rail led install goes as the only ones we've all seen are are smack dab in the middle like g posted. You're going to have to think outside the box and maybe you'll end up with a patent of your own. Might actually be easier. I bet someone makes a round lexan stock you could cut in half then router out the middle to make work. It appears your insert doesn't need to be flexible, only able to withstand some impact and fit the width dimensions. Led's are great but the wow factor is gone and all of the above look to be more money and time than i'd be willing to ever invest- but to each his own.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-31-2016, 11:53 AM Reply   
Um Detox sorry to burst your Bubble, but these 2 things are never gonna happen. #1 Lexan as a rub rail, they Make 1/2 round lexan but it would NEVER hold up for a Rubrail application by the time you milled it down to a reasonable size and shape it would never hold up + you would have to do it in 6 foot sections. And #2 John coming up with something creative. LOL
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-31-2016, 2:05 PM Reply   
I don't think I've been clear in this. The rubrail on the boat won't work for what I want to do. I knew that when I posted the pics above. I guess nobody reads the boring words anymore.

Some of you say that the wow factor is over, or they're played out. Are they on your lake? Or are you tired of seeing them on the internet? LED's are just beginning to be a big thing on my lake. I've been doing most of this for a few years, even though I'm not creative as the egotistical people may think. But forgive me, I've never touched a rubrail. Like anything, there's a learning curve. I don't have shops on every corner that sells anything you want. I can barely source local materials like ABS and plexi in my own town. Forget tools and anything else. The local hardware stores don't even have 3M double-sided tape. There are no stores near me that's for anything more than general consumerism.

I'll just call taco marine next week and talk to them.

Last edited by jonyb; 12-31-2016 at 2:10 PM.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-31-2016, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Um Detox sorry to burst your Bubble, but these 2 things are never gonna happen. #1 Lexan as a rub rail, they Make 1/2 round lexan but it would NEVER hold up for a Rubrail application by the time you milled it down to a reasonable size and shape it would never hold up + you would have to do it in 6 foot sections. And #2 John coming up with something creative. LOL
Thanks for thinking of me in that reply.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-31-2016, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
lol smoked us both! As far as lexan i may or may not have had my fair share of moonshine and gingers last night haha happy new year fellas!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-01-2017, 8:44 AM Reply   
I do find if kinda funny/ironic that jonyb is on here asking for help when he's one of the biggest naysayers of anything DIY because of how great professional installers are. Have yet to see him EVER post anything to share with others himself, only tell us how great he is and how anyone doing it themselves is going to have a sub-par product.

(guess I already broke my New Years resolution to stop being snarky). Happy New Year!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-01-2017, 8:48 AM Reply   
I posted on here all the time in the past with things I've done - either to share or help others. I got tired of all the bull***** and arguments, and then all the smarta$$es came along. Everybody knew everything and when you tried to pass experience you were an a$$hole.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-01-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
As for the DIY'ers, I'm not against that if they half-way know what they're doing. BUT sometimes people just shouldn't be doing things on their own. There are certain questions they ask that indicate they really have no clue, then the've gone out and bought parts without research or actually hearing things for themselves. A perfect example is a guy that brought something to my shop once. He bought a single Kicker 4ohm DVC sub and a cheap amp that won't do 2 ohm mono. Some of these guys here do the same thing. I choose to stay out of those conversations.

On the other hand, if there's a thread asking for help, I'll respond if there hasn't been several people that have already answered, which is the case mostly. There's no reason to have 10 people post the same thing.

Last edited by jonyb; 01-01-2017 at 9:00 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-03-2017, 6:15 AM Reply   
I will vouch for JonyB being very helpful. I think he help's a lot more people through PM's than you realize. I think most of the post you are referring to are just JonyB trying to guide somebody in the right the direction so you only have to do it one time.

I'll give an example, when was putting my system together I wanted to do Rev 10's with PPI 900.4 for the tower then a second PPI for the interior and a cheap Mono for the sub.

He tried to talk my into using better amps like wetsounds because they won't be as hard on the charging system and they will be marine grade. Well I didn't follow and my system sounded good for an amateur.

But TWO alternators later and chasing electrical problems for 1-1/2 summers with perfect pass. I realized even while under way my charging system could keep up with the demand. So I had to add a third battery.

I also lost two channels on one of the PPI's this summer. From really bad condensation that dripped on the amp. I had an old cover that let to much water soak through.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-08-2017, 9:50 AM Reply   
Think about it... Jony is a professional DIY'er... A lot of people on here shouldn't be doing some stuff themselves and like he mentioned, you can tell by the post or their response. he asked a valid question and gets crap from certain guys because he's a installer... All your DIY knowledge came from people like him, show some class...

Is it spring yet??
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2017, 4:46 PM Reply   
Your right what's with all this JohnB bashing! John show these fools the $400 Yeti you destroyed because you wanted to make people "butt hurt" people Put some Speck on it!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-09-2017, 7:30 AM Reply   
That's not why I built it, but you're gonna speculate and spew your assumptions any way you want.

And that mess from Shawn about me not helping - look back at some other threads on here from the last 2 weeks. I did, everywhere I saw a check that I had replied was a friendly post with free tech support - and it was made before I was accused of being a dick.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-09-2017, 9:32 AM Reply   
speaking of coolers check out Alpine's $1,500 cooler
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GLRUKlY...e-PWD-CB1.html
Attached Images