Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (TRey19)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-10-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
Our family is looking for a new boat and have come across an '05 Supra Launch 21v with 198 hours. Boat is in good condition, with a brand new battery. Asking price is 32,000. What are everyone's thoughts on this boat and is it a good deal?

My family enjoys all being in the boat at the same time, which is usually around 8 people. We do a lot of wake boarding, and are interested in starting to surf, but that's not a huge deal.

Any thoughts
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-10-2013, 10:41 AM Reply   
Thats really low hours for an 05. I put that on my 05 21V the first year because we had so much fun with it. One of the deepest boats back then.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
My thoughts are the boat is a little small for 8 people to fit comfortably. With that being said, if the upholstrey is still in good condition and it comes with some tower speakers and ballast system, I would look at trying to pay 30k or less if possible for it. Make sure it has Perfect Pass. That is an extra 1k and it is nice to have.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2013, 11:06 AM Reply   
http://tricities.craigslist.org/boa/4022497044.html

Comparable one.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-10-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
I have an '07 which for all purposes is the same boat. the wake is great behind it, but I have never been able to get the boat to produce a surf wave worth anything. I have all but given up on attempting to surf behind it. Hope that doesn't ruin it for you. I love mine. I do think you could get it for 29-30k.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-10-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
I used to have one. Loved the boat. Put gravity games ballast in it and hold on!

having said that, I sold mine in 2010 for 29K, but it sold in a week so I think I asked a little too little.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
I have the exact boat you're looking at. WE LOVE IT. No regrets. Mine came with Perfect Pass Stargazer, no tower speakers, stock ballast, a cover, 2 axle trailer and a bunch of docking/anchoring goodies. I've had multiple people tell me it feels like a 23 foot boat inside. The super deep freeboard makes my wife feel very safe when taking on rollers from A-hole powerturners on the Delta. Seating capacity is 13. 8 people would be nothing. We have 6-9 people (4 kids)at all times and there's plenty of space. I've never seen a boat with more storage. With the tower collapsed it fits in my standard garage (barely). The wake with no ballast is rampy like a Sanger. With the ballast full it resembles a 04ish Nautique 210. A nice combo of ramp and vert. In my opinion this is a very good price point boat. Here's a link to the thread I started when I bought my Supra.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796579
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
Couple newer pics
Attached Images

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
Interior
Attached Images

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
Freeboard
Attached Images

Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-10-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
i have a 2013 and we can fit 8 or 9 convertibly but any more no
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-10-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
Great boat for sure. That was the first year of the 21V, but has been a long proven hull concept. Great wake and lots of ways to change the ballast configurations. There is no question you will be happy with the boat. I saw Jamie said he has a hard time making it surf.... It is a better wake boat than surf, but you can surf it for sure and we did it for years. Not the longest wave, but I can make you a huge steep face that is very clean...
650 in the rear corner
Only fill the front bag 1/2 way (always had a hard time cleaning it up full)
All your people and lead in that back corner if you have them
Wake plate half way to all the way up
10.5 MPH and make sure you GPS the speed cause the PP speed is infamous for being off when you weight it like that
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-10-2013, 3:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Great boat for sure. That was the first year of the 21V, but has been a long proven hull concept. Great wake and lots of ways to change the ballast configurations. There is no question you will be happy with the boat. I saw Jamie said he has a hard time making it surf.... It is a better wake boat than surf, but you can surf it for sure and we did it for years. Not the longest wave, but I can make you a huge steep face that is very clean...
650 in the rear corner
Only fill the front bag 1/2 way (always had a hard time cleaning it up full)
All your people and lead in that back corner if you have them
Wake plate half way to all the way up
10.5 MPH and make sure you GPS the speed cause the PP speed is infamous for being off when you weight it like that
Im going to give this a try this weekend and see how it works out. I normally end up with too much in the nose tryignt o get the pocket longer.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-10-2013, 6:23 PM Reply   
My board might be too long. When i get in the pocket the nose is just about over the edge of the platform
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-10-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Yeah it is not a long pocket like the boats of today, but it will give you a big clean steep face. Try not to load too much up front. Get people on the side or even standing on the side holding the tower and you can get it to roll real easy. Like I say not the level of surf waves today, but we have gotten some very big nice ones out of it. Just not real long
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-12-2022, 5:41 AM Reply   
Now how does a super perform with all of the sub gate technology out there and also how does that boat ride and rough water?
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       09-14-2022, 6:54 AM Reply   
This thread is super old but here is my info for you typhoon. I would recommend going for a 2009 model Supra or up if you don't want to worry about upgrading the ballast. I had this exact model and we liked it but it is not large inside. We eventually upgraded to a 2009 24 SSV (same as the later 24V) and had much more room. The 24SSV has a much larger rear locker where you can put huge wakemakers bags for surfing. The front bag is already just over 1000lbs on the 24 SSV. You also have reversible self priming pumps in 2009 so the ballast system is ready to go with the exception of upgrading the rear bags for surfing. You will need a wake shaper for sure but you can get a suction based wake shaper for $150 - $300 depending on the brand.