Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-17-2014, 10:13 PM Reply   
I pressure washed the carpet in my boat out today. I left all the seats out and every seat flipped up to air it out for the night. 10% chance of rain so I thought why not surely it won't rain...look at the radar and this HUGE patch of green is headed our way. It's midnight, and I'm 25 mins away from the boat. I hope all the non waterproof amps and electronics are okay
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-18-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Been there a time or two. All of my stuff was fine, but my amps and other non-marine electronics were in places where they can get wet. Hopefully the moisture in the air won't cause any problems
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2014, 6:44 PM Reply   
Just don't rush to power it up. It's not good for them but they can get wet if there is no power to them.

If they got wet, you can pull them and out them in some Tupperware with white rice for a couple f days to absorb the moisture.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-18-2014, 10:18 PM Reply   
Well what's the verdict?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-20-2014, 9:26 AM Reply   
Everything came out fine!! I got lucky! For sure won't be taking a chance like that again!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-20-2014, 10:07 AM Reply   
I never rely on the weatherman more than the same day or next day if I look in the evening, especially here in the PNW. It changes so much, if you check the weather and screenshot it every day and compare you will see that the temps, if it's supposed to rain, etc. are always changing as the day gets closer.
On days it might rain or might not rain and are questionable, it is extremely hard for them to predict with certainty if it will or not.
Check this study out
http://freakonomics.com/2008/04/21/h...her-forecasts/

Basically it comes out to days where it may or may not, they have a less than a 60% accuracy on those days, just one day out and it drops dramatically after that. A coin flip is more accurate most of the time (once again, especially here in the PNW).
In other areas like Arizona or some places with known dry days or known wet days they have it easier, but when it's iffy, they really have no clue and might as well just be guessing.

We have had days that the weather is set to be nice and right when we're heading to the launch it starts pouring and thunderstorms.
We've had days where we scrapped plans because the night, about 10 hours before, it said it was going to be stormy and it turned out to be a very nice day out.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2014, 7:23 AM Reply   
I get caught in 2-3 good soakers every year and it that is not enough water gets dumped or spilled into the boat way too often. I don't know how anybody could survive with electronics in potentially wet locations or these crazy systems with equipment all over the place and it seems there are more electronic devices added to boats every year.

A good dose of sun does wonders for water, mold and drying electronics. I have also found that a drying electronics spray brings things back to life and helps protect. Good luck with it.