Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
Ok guys, the nearest fresh water is about 45 away from my house. The bay well like 10 minutes away. I want to dunk the boat to do all my checks and make sure when I get it to the lake it will all be fine. But I was thinking. why not take my beat hydroslide board out and do some wakeboard in the cold SF bay? ANyone done this? Let me know
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-02-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have seen some absolutely sick footage in the video "Authentic" of guys like Aaron Aubrey and Josh Smith killing it in the Bay underneath the bay bridge, out in McCovey Cove...actually some of my favorite footage of all time only because of the scenery, and me being from the bay gives it extra nostalgia....I dot know if its legal, but u could probably get away with it. And I dont see why you couldn't ride your regular board (not the hydroslide) the salt water wont hurt the board...
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
it will hurt the hardware in the hinge tech bindings i have will rust
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-02-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
I'd be more worried about the boat and trailer in the salt. In my experience, all it takes is once.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
dont take your boat into the bay if its not internally cooled, you dont want salt water in your block.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
yea that is what i thought. I will just run it on the hose and call it good lol
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-02-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
the trailer would be my biggest concern the painted trailers dont like the salt at all.

(Message edited by kko13 on May 02, 2008)
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-03-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Rick you know you've had that thing the bay before, just run it on the hose and spray EVERYTHING down with fresh water and you will be fine. Try to bring a wet suit though.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-03-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
dude, you have a four winns. just flush it out good with the hose when you get done. i work on a ton of bayliners and stuff that have been in saltwater. and they are all fine. just take the boat to a carwash afterwards and rinse then run the engine on a hose for a about 15 minutes and you are good.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Erik I know. You got any better spots since san leandro is silted up?
Old    walt            05-04-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
Rick,
Unless you have experience in the bay it's probably a bad idea. The bay gets BIG really quick when the wind comes up and the tide is going the other way. You should also have a VHF radio,depth finder and GPS IMO.

I'm not familiar with the south end of the bay but if it's anything like San Pablo bay there are plenty of places to get yourself in trouble.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
yea I have been in the bay many times. I have a hand held vhf and depth finder.
Old    walt            05-04-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
Good to hear Rick. I've seen a lot of people get stuck in the mud out there because they didn't stay in the channel/no depth finder/didn't know the area. I think the fall is the best time to go if you want butter.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
yea for sure. I use to have a centurion and I took it out in the bay. Embarrasing to admit I got my fourwinns almost stuck in the mud even in the channel comming out of the sanLeandro marina last year. Then the depth finder got installed. What is a good marina out there Walt because the san leandro one was awesome but its silted up and the hegenburger one is ghetto. The other one not sure what it is called I think jack london didn't seem the safest either.
Old    walt            05-05-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
Rick,
Richmond has a pretty good ramp. Stick to the channel markers on the way out/in.
Old     (saltsk8)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-08-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
I hit up the last SF Giant home game last year and then took a set out of the cove and it was epic!!! There is also a small body of water in the San Mateo/Foster City area that you can hit up for $40 launches. Really small but if you live in or near San Mateo hit me up.

(Message edited by saltsk8 on May 08, 2008)