Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (astonestreet)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-15-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
I have tried, many times now, to resize photos to post here (1025x1025). The problem is the camera that we are using is taking incredible pics but they are always 2400+x2400. Should I adjust the settings on the camera or Just suck it up and keeping trying to cut and crop sections out of pictures in paint?

Thanks in advance,
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-15-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
download a program like "The Gimp"

I'm assuming you have windows.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Ok, might as well explain...the Gimp is an open source editing program that will easily allow you to resize your pictures. Don't even think about decreasing your cam quality, that would be a terrible idea.

On another note...my 1001 post!! Come celebrate w/me!

(Message edited by garret_s on April 15, 2008)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
If you have Windows XP, go to www.microsoft.com and download the Image Resizer Power Tool for Windows XP. All you will need to do is right mouse click the image icon and select Image Resize from the list.

Simple and easy without installing any additional large software packages.
Old    Ben Kerran            04-15-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Another option.
1. Rt click on photo
2. Open with
3. Choose paint
4. Once picture opens, choose Image from the toolbar
5. Select stretch/skew from the drop down menu
6. Change horizontal and vertical percentage (I usually choose 50% or so)
7. Click OK
8. Save as
9. Check properties to confirm picture is small enough.
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-15-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
The easiest way that I have found is to email the pic to yourself. when it asks you to keep the pic same size or resize smaller I resize smaller then send. Then I save the emailed pic as it is and then its all good. It is kinda a pain in the a$$ way to do it, but it works for me.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-15-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Do what Garret suggested. It is so easy, you can resize 500 pics all at once with a simple right click. Don't mess with all that other stuff, life is too short.
Old     (astonestreet)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-15-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
What a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE THAT TOOL MAKES!!!

Thanks Garret
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-15-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
GIMP rocks, enjoy!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       04-16-2008, 1:16 AM Reply   
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
Old    dabigkahuna            04-16-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
what about us mac guys? Any free programs out there for us?
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-16-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
Gimp worked great, thanks for the info.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
bigkahuna:

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-17-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Macs are easy. iPhoto is free. Import the picture if it's not in your library. Export the picture when it is in your library. Choose the export size you want.
Graphic Converter is and excellent and powerful shareware program too.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-17-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
use picasa if you don't know what you're doing. My mom can use it and I find it useful for basic stuff.

http://picasa.google.com/

Mac users...iPhoto kind of blows but works well.
My fav part about picasa is it NEVER edits your original photo, it just saves the changes. iPhoto sort of works like that except they make copies of the photo to do this...total waste of space.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
brooke,

that "feature" is actually the reason I don't do simple editing in Picasa...I hate the way it just saves the changes! I wish it would just ask you, "Do you want to save this over the original?" or something. Other than that, I use picasa for everything.