Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-09-2016, 7:18 PM Reply   
Anybody used one on a Malibu? Looking to clean up my '05 LSV surf wake and saving $175K by not buying a new M235.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2016, 9:36 PM Reply   
I made one of these but haven't had a chance to give it a whirl yet (we have an 04' LSV) .... for $50 I figured it was worth a go. Otherwise the new mission wakesaper looks really nice buts its $500. Figured worst case I can test with the cheapie and if it works well but is a PITA or really ugly I could pony up for the nice one.

Biggest problem with this setup is the little jog in the hull, I either need to shim at the bottom, or mount below the jog and have ~3" hang below the bottom of the hull.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-10-2016, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Anybody used one on a Malibu? Looking to clean up my '05 LSV surf wake and saving $175K by not buying a new M235.
My local dealer Marine Products did, think it was a 05 BU also. Click on the link for the shop number and give Ryan Lewis a call. They tested a surf gate vs Wake Shaper. On the MP site you can use code DFTR2016 and get some coin off the shaper if that's the route you are going.

Last edited by downfortheride; 05-10-2016 at 7:22 AM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-10-2016, 7:47 AM Reply   
I never knew people double stacked the skateboard ramps. I thought it was supposed to be just one. Two seems extreme and way more out there than surfgate even goes.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-10-2016, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I never knew people double stacked the skateboard ramps. I thought it was supposed to be just one. Two seems extreme and way more out there than surfgate even goes.
neither did I, although the angle looks good IMO
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-10-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
A few people on other forums chimed in a mentioned that a 30* angle was the magic number, two ramps puts you at like 32*. I haven't tried it though, but with the release of the mission stuff the knock-offs of that started too.

This looks likes much less hassle. Hopefully I can whip up a plywood trial of this tonight:

or this

I like the thought of suction cups much more. With this style it seams that angle and surface area are tied together. the Mission one is almost at 90* from the boat but as small. The ramp(s) are large but only at like 30*.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 05-10-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2016, 4:40 PM Reply   
I bought one and I'm going to try it out. It has shims but I'm undecided if I should use them or just mount the shaper lower.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2016, 6:13 AM Reply   
Which one did you buy? Mission or Ronix?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-11-2016, 11:43 AM Reply   
Ronix
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2016, 4:38 AM Reply   
My attempt at a DIY - hopefully can test it this evening.
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2016, 4:39 AM Reply   
few more
Attached Images

Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-12-2016, 9:13 AM Reply   
The talent and desire I read on this site is great
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
few more
Nick, Is that a cutting board? lol
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2016, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Nick, Is that a cutting board? lol
Yes! Haha, The suction cup holder plate and main "blade" of the wake shaper is a $9 walmart cutting board. The gussets are 1" HDPE I had laying around.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2016, 12:46 PM Reply   
Innovation
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2016, 1:11 PM Reply   
Assuming it works as shown ... my BOM:

* Suction cups from home depot - $6.50 each - $13 total
* 1/4-20 bolts / nuts - $2
* Scrap HDPE - $0
* Cutting board - $10.00
* Screws - $1.00
* Clip + rope for leash if it pops off - $4.00

Grand total: $30 and about 45 mins of my time
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-13-2016, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Assuming it works as shown ... my BOM:

* Suction cups from home depot - $6.50 each - $13 total
* 1/4-20 bolts / nuts - $2
* Scrap HDPE - $0
* Cutting board - $10.00
* Screws - $1.00
* Clip + rope for leash if it pops off - $4.00

Grand total: $30 and about 45 mins of my time
Damn impressed by this Nick. Any chance you could shoot me over the dimensions?
wakeboard1@gmail.com I can going to crank one out this weekend. Brilliant design man!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-13-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
Is anyone setting up a bet pool on if the suction cups hold? LOL

And another if it sinks after then let go.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
We built a device with just ONE of the skate board ramps and some 2" suction cups from amazon. Super easy. Works amazing...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2016, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Is anyone setting up a bet pool on if the suction cups hold? LOL

And another if it sinks after then let go.
All those betting on the cups not working win. I think the biggest problem is from the boat's hull ... the side of our LSV's hull isn't flat, the whole thing has a "bow" to it .... so the cups I had almost had too big of a diameter and it peeled off every time I tried (about 45 mins worth of attempts).

Also it would have sank, but I ran a leash to a lift jacket so I could snag it when it ripped off. I think if I had a flatter surface or smaller cup diameter it might just work. I'll maybe try and whip up Mk2 with a less severe angle on the gate and maybe a few holes cut to help let some water pass through (like the mission)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2016, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
going to crank one out this weekend. Brilliant design man!
I'll message you, but it didn't work well for our hull.... but it was at least a starting point.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-13-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
Did you try under the swim step? I can remember if mine is rounded either.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
All of the mounting attempts were on the side of the boat, 75% below the water line from the start (below the LSV hull jog). .... the arrow on the photo below shows the piece I wanted to attached to, but it the slight crown on this piece might keep it from working.
Attached Images

Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-13-2016, 12:27 PM Reply   
It should be attached at the waterline when the boat is all sacked out. Try drilling a couple holes in the top of your suction cup's to release water that gets trapped between the rubber suction cup and the plastic housing. Guys on the MC forum are having problems with "hydrolocking" during the suction process that gives a weak hold. When attached above or at the waterline, this problem isn't occuring.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2016, 3:04 PM Reply   
I also tried attaching above, but didn't clear out the water, so I'll give that a go when it stops being winter here.... we might get snow tonight !!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-13-2016, 9:17 PM Reply   
Just made one myself.... going to test tomorrow.

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2016, 11:00 PM Reply   
^ Looks awesome!

I ordered the "Handle on Demand" tonight, the cups I have were only rated to lift 12 lbs, the HOD says its good for 200 lbs .... that plus a smaller blade and I think I'll have some results.

Excited to see how it works for you!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-16-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post

Looks RAD! How did you get those screws thru the suction cups and not have them cause issues with the suction cups attaching?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-16-2016, 9:45 AM Reply   
The plastic around the cup is just there for support,.... you can peel the rubber back and slide a bolt though easy enough as long as your holes are near the edge.

I'm going to be building Mk2 this week with the HoD cups, seems like a better setup than my two individual cups.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-16-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
Thanks Nick I just ordered some HoD Cups from amazon, like $9.00 not bad ad all!
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       05-17-2016, 6:09 AM Reply   
And if you make that plate too big...

I had this problem then after replacement I had a problem with it popping off. Too much curvature in my hull at the water line.
Attached Images

Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-17-2016, 6:23 AM Reply   
So winter is coming to www.facebook.com/SnappersWakeCrew

Still trying to get out wakeboarding but keen on a little more surfing too.

I dont mind the $'s for the delta - awesome looking peice of kit and the $'s we spend on boards, boat etc mean we need to keep it in perspecitve but how do i onow it works?

Introducing SnapperShape V1 - hoping to test this weekend
Attached Images

Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-17-2016, 6:25 AM Reply   
Still a little work to do tidying up some bolts but its too late to use the angle grinder over here
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-17-2016, 7:06 AM Reply   
Good Idea with the hinge to help create the correct angle.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       05-17-2016, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by feral View Post
So winter is coming to www.facebook.com/SnappersWakeCrew

Still trying to get out wakeboarding but keen on a little more surfing too.

I dont mind the $'s for the delta - awesome looking peice of kit and the $'s we spend on boards, boat etc mean we need to keep it in perspecitve but how do i onow it works?

Introducing SnapperShape V1 - hoping to test this weekend
I'd be a little scared for the size of that plate. I see the holes but it looks big compared to some of the other designs that are working. What are those dimensions?
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-17-2016, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
I'd be a little scared for the size of that plate. I see the holes but it looks big compared to some of the other designs that are working. What are those dimensions?
Yeh mone is 7x9 which sems common, but i have 2 more chopping boards to experiment
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2016, 4:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
How did it work?
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-18-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
Worked Great.

Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-18-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
That was just me as the driver in the boat, 750lb bags in each locker, and about 5-600 lbs up in the bow. Can't wait to load the boat down and give it a try.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-18-2016, 12:42 PM Reply   
The first pic is mine and here is the wake: http://youtu.be/X8BD_u6Y84U
Attached Images

Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-18-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
So the sk8 gate works really well, but takes up too much space when not in use so I'm going to try the suction cup (suck gate) next. First test I think I'm going to use a bigger surface area than the Mission product, but not nearly as much as the skate ramps, and use a 45 degree angle. The video and pics above were evenly weighted with 750s in the back, 300 in ski locker, another 750 in the bow, and 10mph. 2 skate ramps nets me roughly 32 degrees of angle. It seems the devices that use smaller surface area needs more angle. The Mission product looks smallest of all, and it's nearly at a 90 degree angle. I would just buy the product from Mission or Ronix, but I can't pay $500+ for something I can make for roughly $50. If they would come down to around $250 then I would probably bite.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-18-2016, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Worked Great.

What dimensions did you go with for the plate itself?
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-18-2016, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Still a little work to do tidying up some bolts but its too late to use the angle grinder over here
Tidied up a few bolts, changed the bottom ones to longer so angle is adjustable (with small spanyard).

Pretty happy with the result, planning to test Saturdee
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-18-2016, 5:13 PM Reply   
My Mk2 worked great.

I think the HoD cups were the difference... I popped it on just below the waterline, got up to speed 4-5 times, and it held great. I also made my main blade/plate/whatever smaller ... I ran 6.5"x9" and that seemed to work well. I have a 8x10" one I'm going to keep in the boat and give a try sooner or later too.

.... My wife is out of town but with ~1000 lbs in the rear, and 250 in the front (my mid tank pump kept tripping the fuse), and the wedge, the wave was better than I have ever seen it while trying to run the boat listed. I'm pretty pumped. I didn't have my phone so no pics, but hopefully this weekend it will be warm enough to actually surf on.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-22-2016, 2:05 AM Reply   
This was just me in the boat with all standard ballast full (2x250kg rears, 350 centre and 250 front).

I reckon it will lift in size heaps with piggy back surf bags (i only have one at the moment) and or a heap of people in boat.

Much easier than my ghetto gate and more effective.
Attached Images

Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-22-2016, 2:09 AM Reply   
Not sure why i cant post multiple pic's. - ballast full, just me in boat
Attached Images

Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-22-2016, 2:12 AM Reply   
Snap-suck just at water line
Attached Images

Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-22-2016, 2:14 AM Reply   
And the wave is .......
Attached Images

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-23-2016, 11:52 AM Reply   
Let's see some more results. I am planning on making one and what to know the outcome on some of the other wave makers.

Which angle seems to work the best and what size main plate.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-26-2016, 9:59 AM Reply   
Ok here is the one I built. Haven't tried it yet, but will do so this weekend.

Any suggestion? Should I drill holes in the plate? Should I make it slightly smaller?

I am going to add a hold for a rope, but haven't decide where yet.

Any suggestion on the project.

It is approx. 60 degree slope. The plate is 11 3/4" x 8". I think maybe I should cut the tallness down to maybe 9-9 1/2"?

The holes on the side are so you can flip the lever easier.
Attached Images

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2016, 6:31 PM Reply   
We have a 2001 VLX. It is kind of surf able. We switched stock tanks for 400s and added a delayed convergence device. Some 2" suction cups with bolts on one of those skate board ramps. Stays attached unless G23 surf rollers come by and pop it off...

What do you guys think?

Attachment 41096
Attached Images

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2016, 6:33 PM Reply   
Sorry, can't post more than one pic for some reason:
Attached Images

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2016, 6:35 PM Reply   
It's much better than listed. 3x's the wave surface area to surf on, more wave like than the "wall" like wake we used to have. Have some more tweaking to do, but it's FUN!
Attached Images

Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-26-2016, 9:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
And the wave is .......
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806336

Dear Moderators - can we merge these two threads? some awesome info but lots of repetition?

cheers.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-27-2016, 7:50 AM Reply   
I just ordered my HOD from Amazon yesterday. Still trying to decide how I want to make this gate and what angle. It seems people don't list their boats with these gates on, wouldn't you still get a better wave if you listed the boat in conjunction with the gate? I just upgraded the ballast in my boat to 1100lb bags in the corners and trying to decide if I am going to try listing with the gate. I an not sure the boat will handle both bags full. Its a Sanger V215. Also has anyone put the suction gate on a Sanger? Where did you mount it? The Sanger hull is a little more awkward down at the bottom.
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-31-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
I built one last week based on reviews and pictures from various forums. I built this one from scrap steel i had laying around. If it works well then I will remake it from aluminum. I still need to cut and mount the plastic to the frame but I am waiting until I take my boat out of storage before I permanently mount the plastic. The suction cups I used are roughly 4.5" diameter. I tried to use them on a friends 2008 X2 and there wasn't a flat enough spot to mount the suction cups near or below the waterline. I'm exited to try it out but likely won't hit the lake for another month due to my work schedule.

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-01-2016, 8:46 PM Reply   
I had posted this in another thread that was deleted, so I'll share it here again.

As I've watched all kinds of homebrew surf tabs come along on various forums I've never seen much on a Sanger V210, and I wasn't willing to do any kind of permanent modification without knowing the results would be decent. I'm glad I waited until these "Suckgates" came along, and I decided to give it a go.

The pics above show the wave with two passengers, approximately 300 pounds in each rear compartment, and the ski locker bag full, probably 300 pounds at best. This was with no tweaking of the angle, which is adjustable on my design. I think its a great start and the wave looks as good or better than when it had an equal amount and was listed. I run a lot of weight in the front normally, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when I start piling that on.

I have only been on the port side wave once for less than two minutes with that setup minus me in the boat, and the wave had the same push I'm used to with my normal setup, but there is plenty more testing to do.

The last two pictures are of my storage setup, which is just a piece of UHMW screwed into the back of the rear seat in the engine compartment. The cups have held solid in there from temps in the 30s at night to full operating temp with no sign of moving. In a smaller boat like the V210 storage is precious, and not having to disassemble the device is very handy.

I don't have pics of just the device out of the storage area right now, but I can post that when I get one. It has a stainless hinge on the front, that is a Walmart cutting board, and the frame is aluminum angle held in place with 1/4-20 screws. The adjustment comes from a turnbuckle which I found at Home Depot.

You can also feel free to comment on how good the brand new interior looks on the ol' 97, but please don't let it derail the conversation
Attached Images

Old     (boarder82)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-03-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Finally got to test mine on our 03 VLX. Pretty happy with the results. I'll replace the wood blade with hdpe now that I know it works.

Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       06-03-2016, 2:18 PM Reply   
Nice word guys!
So general consensus is 30* angle if using a larger "wedge shape" or 90* if using a smaller flat plate Mission style?
I'm going to buy a HOD this weekend & cut a 7"x 9" cutting board to try & make my own Mission style wedge :]
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-07-2016, 5:56 PM Reply   
My friend Stan Tanner in Wisconsin made me a DIY wake shaper and I finally got to try it out for the first time last night. I'm pretty pumped with it since the older Nautique 210's are notoriously bad for surfing on the port side, and it was definitely was a huge improvement. Here's some pics. Sorry I don't have before and after pics, and that the surfing pics are sideways.
Attached Images

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-08-2016, 10:00 PM Reply   
I've done some updates to my design, going a bit overboard to make everything I can either stainless or aluminum to prevent corrosion. At this point the only thing I can't change out is the post that goes into the suction cup. I have stainless springs showing up Monday, they should fit in place of the original ones, which I've found out will rust.

I'm getting just over 20 degrees of adjustability, the design allows easy changing of the plate if a different size is needed, or if it needs to be broken down for storage.

I bought parts to make a few up for friends, these things are catching on fast!
Attached Images

Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-12-2016, 2:01 PM Reply   
Hey Nick, gonna order my HOD right now, Have you found what angle works best on your V210? I have 750's in the rear and the 300 lb bag in the skilocker. Thanks, yours is my fave design so far. any issues with releasing under power?
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-12-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
I would just make a simple one with a 90 to 80 degree angle. It will work great. Harbor freight handle. If it rusts then get another 6 dollor handle. Mine has yet to show any signs of rust and has never came loose.

Last edited by gravity; 07-12-2016 at 2:23 PM.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-12-2016, 6:39 PM Reply   
Seastow handle, 6x9 plate at 100 degrees
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-12-2016, 10:09 PM Reply   
Lemonade, I'm running a plate with approximately 80 square inches surface area at 52 degrees for starboard (goofy) side and 45 degrees for regular/starboard. It seems like a lot less than what some of these other boats are taking, but I guess the v210 is smaller than a lot of them. The handle hasn't budged at all, at this point the safety rope is only there in case someone drops it.

I'd recommend finding a way to get more weight up front, you'll get a longer wave and more push in my experience.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-12-2016, 10:45 PM Reply   

Just an idea for anyone going the adjustable route, I used a rubber grommet to keep the turnbuckle from rattling in the mounts and it's a nice addition.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-13-2016, 8:32 AM Reply   
Ha! That rattle risk was gonna be my next question. My local hardware store has a cast handle (50$) but anything on amazon is gonna be close to 40$ with shiping to canada anyways. Can you show me your mounting location Nick? are you putting it on before launching or when on the water? I'm pretty jacked, was out last night (listed) and with 750's and my borther in law and his kids my goofy wave was awesome. Nephew finally got the hang of going ropeless.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-13-2016, 10:11 AM Reply   
You'll be delighted not to list anymore, I assure you of that. Put it on in the water, it's particularly easy on the v210 since it rides so low. I'm going almost all the way back with mine so that it uses as little deflection as possible. I'll get you a pic or two when I get get the chance.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-13-2016, 12:29 PM Reply   
dammit. my HOD (cast aluminum) is a hair too long. I have a decal back there that impedes suction. any ideas? I'm debating between removing decal or trying a single suction cup design with feet on the angle iron to support... Will my gelcoat be discolored under the decals?
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-13-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
Nick, when mounted does your suckgate sit at a slight angle? If so it would sort out my fitment issue I belive
Attached Images

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-13-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
I played around with angling it like that, seeing if it would provide any lift/roll to the boat when underway. It held fine, through I never went quite that far with it. I think you'll be fine, these things are surprisingly solid.
Old     (LiquidObsession)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-14-2016, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagman View Post
I've done some updates to my design, going a bit overboard to make everything I can either stainless or aluminum to prevent corrosion. At this point the only thing I can't change out is the post that goes into the suction cup. I have stainless springs showing up Monday, they should fit in place of the original ones, which I've found out will rust.

I'm getting just over 20 degrees of adjustability, the design allows easy changing of the plate if a different size is needed, or if it needs to be broken down for storage.

I bought parts to make a few up for friends, these things are catching on fast!

This is the design I had in my head... Clean and well engineered... well done! Any chance getting the specs/dimensions/materials list of what you used?
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-14-2016, 9:43 AM Reply   
Nick did you remove the cups for drilling? What's the length of the aluminum angles you used (to make sure you had clearance for the cutting board).
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-14-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
Liquidobsession:
●1×1/8 aluminum angle

●Home Depot stainless hinge, 3.5 inch wide

●Eye straps, stainless

●Plate size approximately 8x10, Walmart in my area has a cutting board close to that size. About 3/8 thick, 1/2 is overkill and 1/4 is a bit flimsy.

●Turnbuckle pictured is M6, all stainless. 1/4 inch turnbuckles with aluminum body are available at Home Depot

●Stainless springs are only available in quantities of 10 from what I've found. If you want to go that route 1.5 inch long conical springs is what you're looking for.

#10-24 hardware all around. The nuts in the plate are called Tee nuts or blind nuts and can be hard to find in stainless.

Lemonade they can be done either way. If you leave them on just put something thin between the rubber and the housing. You have to break the rivet to disassemble though, so you'd have to replace it with a #8 screw.

Last edited by shagman; 07-14-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-14-2016, 11:04 PM Reply   
Well v.1 is done. Need to swap a couple bolts to clean it up. Will have to remove the V decal at the back to make it fit at the rear. Beta testing tomorrow I hopes. Thanks for your help nick
Attached Images

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-15-2016, 5:05 AM Reply   
Cut some angle in the hinge brackets to allow your plate to come back while you're at it. Just eyeballing it I'm thinking that turnbuckle isn't going to allow you to reduce the angle enough, but I could be off. Play around with it and don't be afraid to trim that board down if you need.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-15-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
Well v.1 is done. Need to swap a couple bolts to clean it up. Will have to remove the V decal at the back to make it fit at the rear. Beta testing tomorrow I hopes. Thanks for your help nick
That's close to the angle I have mine at but the surface area of you board might be too much. The close to 90 degrees from the boat, the less surface area needed.

Attached a rough drawing of mine and it works great.
Attached Images

Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-15-2016, 8:51 PM Reply   
Mines about 10 x 7 1/2

wave was great, i didn't get to ride it but my niece did and she said it was better than listed. I had some rooster tailing going onto the sunpad, wonder if the cutouts on the Mission are meant to relieve pressure and reduce this, gonna try drilling some holes on the edges and might cut a taper to it, more delta shaped than ellipse as shown above. I cant wait to give it a ride. All in under 100$ Canadian, at current exchange rates thats 65$ USD.
I'll load a pic once my phone is charged.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       07-15-2016, 10:01 PM Reply   
Here's the curl. Angle goes back to about 45 deg when the turnbuckles turned all the way in. I had it about 80 deg tonight. Does anyone have any info about what reducing/increasing angle effects on wave qualities?
Attached Images

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-16-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
Back in the day On my V210 we spent days loading up the back of the boat, having people sit on the rear hatch and all that. The wave looked impressive and had a gnarly looking curl, reminiscent of what I see going on with yours. But that wave never pushed even close to as well as when we put a triangle bag up front to hold the nose down.

What I'm saying is I think you have too much weight in the back, But I'm basing this on one pic so I could be mistaken. As far as the plate goes, not enough deflection gives a washy wave, too much gives a flattened out wave with no lip and less push.

Try your plate with minimal deflection, if it's washy keep cranking it out until the wash is gone. Not gone all the way to 25' back, just the usable area of the wave.