Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Hi fellas, I posted on here several times last season as it was my first serious season on a wakeboard. In my first season I went from learning to get up consistently to consistent w2w and some surface tricks. I was riding a stupid borrowed hydroslide for the first half of the summer and a freemotion for the second half.

I am bent on buying a Ronix One for this season but I wanted some input from you more experienced fellas. below are some of my questions.

1. Is 142 too big for 6"1 180 beginner.
2. Will someone at my level (just learning grabs) benefit from the ONE
3. Since my idea of BIG is landing a w2w in the flats, should I worry about all the cracked board stories?
4. I hear the more experience people say it takes a while to get used to. Would a beginner figure it out as fast.

Please post any suggestions for me. I would love to drop 800 bucks on some 08 gear but I am looking for a deal on 07 stuff. Gotta have some gas money for the Supra.

Thanks,
Ryan

(Message edited by rmdanie on April 16, 2008)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-16-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
First off are my complaints of the One and basically any Danny Harf boards... His molded in fins tend to run a pretty decent length towards the center of the board that keeps the board pretty locked in even when ridden finless (Obviously I like a loose board). His boards pop very well but are slow so I have to work for it very hard.

A 142 is just fine for you although your going to have to roll it on edge a lot more and really handle the thing (goes for any bigger board because it's obviously wider).
The One has a subtle 3-stage rocker so without ridding on a continuous rocker board this is the most consistent/smooth rocker there is. Switch out the stock 1 inch fins that come on the board for something around 0.7 inchs and the board will ride so much better in my opinion. Also, the One is a little faster then all of Harf's previous boards so the before mentioned problem with speed is a lot less of an issue. You have to keep in mind that speed is all preference anyways.
The problem with the One board cracking isn't a problem your going to have to worry about, promise!
Try to demo.
Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Paul... I am looking at one today so I guess I will give it a go. Worst case scenario is to hock it on ebay if I hate it.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-16-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Not a beginner board. Its got a lot of pop and too much rocker for a beginner. I would stick with a board with less 3 stage rocker, or even a continuous rocker to get used to riding first.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-16-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
You could ride the one and get along ok. But I highly suggest the Frontier. Its a very good board to learn on, its very forgiving, but performs very well with the most advanced of tricks. (just see adam errington last year on it)

Its best to demo before you buy. But given the choice you'd probably be better off with the frontier over the one at your level. again demoing would be best.

I'm guessing you were going with the one bindings aswell: great choice
Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Actually, I am looking at the 06 cwb torq bindings. Match the board and everyone I know that has them raves
Old    alanp            04-16-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
i'd stay away from the one too. i just picked one up and the board is a little wirey. looser and unpredictable than his previous shapes.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-16-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
I'm 6'1 180 and I normally ride anything in between 139-142. I like larger boards because I have longer legs and it helps having a wider stance option. Honestly if you're not really spinning or just starting out, you won't really feel the difference IMO.
Old     (ronixman110789)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-16-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
hey whats up dude,my name isMaycold Guillen im from miami and im going to tell u honestly dont get that on eyess is verry nice board but not for a bigginer as a bigginer board i would tell to get the frontier from ronix trust me when i tell u would not want to get off it im 5"9 and i ride the new parks bonifey ronix-ibex trust me i have been riding for over 3 years and im still gettin use to the board that i got about 6 months ago.make sure u get a board like the frontier 137 or bigger so u feel confterble with it then maybe after a couple of months try outthe one.
Old    dabigkahuna            04-16-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
I actually think the ONE board is really forgiving and easy to ride. I ride in Salt, so that may change things up some. Demo if you can, that's the only way you'll know how you'll like it.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-16-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
I thought the One was a very easy board to ride as well.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-16-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan. Jon at Diamond Lakes WaterSport here in Malvern. Come in or give us a call and we'll get you set up some equipment. I've actually got a new 07 One 142 sitting at the shop right now. We'll help you with getting you set up without breaking the bank. Hope to see or hear from you soon.
Old     (premier136)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-16-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
i was talking with Danny Harf at the Chicago boat show and he said the one is actually a lot more forgiving for a beginer than his previous pro models. then again ive had no problem with his older model and i have been riding that since i started 3 yrs ago.
Old     (dmak)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2008, 9:30 PM Reply   
I know your bent on the ONE, but if you can demo give the covin a try. I ride it and love that thing. I came off a 05 parks so it was a little slow but that thing pops good and is very consistent as well as forgiving.