Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-15-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'm just getting started in Wakeboarding. I'm looking to purchase my first board. What would be a good beginner? I'm currently looking at a used Hyperlite Perez Signature Edition. Any other suggestions?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-15-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
put it on the wall
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
Welcome to the sport! Give us some more details about yourself so we can figure out a good board for you...

Height?
Weight?
Boat?

These would be a good place to start!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I always liked the Hyperlite ERA or older Hyperlite Premier to start new riders on. That is my current boat board for riders without their own set up. Not a beginner board but beginner friendly that you can progress with.
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-15-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
don't get a 'beginner' board. Get something that an intermediate rider would be using. That way, when you do step it up, you won't have to be in the market for a new board so quickly. Beginners can hardly even tell the difference between boards anyway.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-15-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
I am 6'1 and range in weight from 170-185 lbs. I will be riding behind an old century inboard boat. It is an 18 foot run about with a fairly decent wake. You say put it on the wall? The Perez isn't a good board?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-15-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
oh yea, welcome to the site. and learn switch when you start riding. Have a great summer!
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-15-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think nacho is refering to the age of that board and the fact that board technology has come a looooong way (light years even) since the HL Perez.

anyway...besides your size, a lot will depend on how much you have to spend...$$$. Rocker, spines, fins, and edges won't mean too much to you right now but check the board reviews here and pick a couple of specific ones to ask about. There are just too many opinions to leave it open like that. For your size, I would stay in the 136 to 140 range and then take a shot. You'll quickly learn what you like and dislike about a particular board and go from there. Don't expect to buy one board and ride it forever....you'll discover your own style (or adopt the style of someone else) and buy your next board accordingly. Good luck!

p.s. don't...I repeat...DO NOT...skimp on bindings.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
I second Nacho. Learn switch. btw is that Nacho from shweene's camp?
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-16-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate the prompt answers. I ended up buying a 2007 Hyperlite Era 142 with the 07 Era bindings. I get what he's saying now. Wouldn't have been able to ride switch on the Perez due to the design. I hope this board will suit me for the upcoming summer and maybe a little beyond. Has anyone used the Era 142?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-16-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Congrats, great board you will love it, enjoy your summer.

(Message edited by innov8 on April 16, 2008)