Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-05-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone had some good info on the toilet rifles. I'm starting to develop a woodpecker problem at my house. So I would like something that is as quiet as it can be. But I don't want to spend any more than $300.

I was leaning towards a Benjamin NP-2

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjam...ood_Stock/3368
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-05-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
toilet rifle??? never seen one of those. Is that what you call the morning after a night of drinking??

put a supressor on a .22. Oh yea, you're in the land of fruits and nuts!

Last edited by denverd1; 11-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-05-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
Had a Benjamin 392 growing up, thing kicked ash!

(Just guessing, by looking through that site, didn't actually rember the model)
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-05-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
It will be more than enough and Benjamin is good quality. I have the Trail NP and have used it for ground squirrels. Be careful because woodpeckers are protected under the Migratory Bird Act and like everything else in CA, require a permit to kill. Im assuming they are Nuttall's (black and white with red head)?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-05-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
I am also having problems with woodpeckers. Yes, they are protected so be careful. They are also fairly hard to shoot since they are careful birds.

To deter them, I have dangled shinny streamers on the house and I installed solar power owls that turn their heads ever few minutes. So far, it's working.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-05-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
I have a vintage Daisy Powerline 822. It's a .22 caliber single shot pellet rifle. It shoots about half as fast a .22LR round. It can easily take down birds and small rodents and is ridiculously accurate, it just got better with a $8 Wal-Mart scope added to it.

For bird control, you could even do a regular .177 BB gun. I also have a Crossman 2100 that is BB/Pellet and it has taken down its fair share of unwanted birds.

For squirrels I use my crossbow. No replacement for displacement

If it's on my property and I don't want it there. It's either leaving willingly or in a body (wal-mart) bag.

I would recommend getting something that fires at least 500fps though. Anything slower and you might scare or wound it, you just want to make it quick and painless.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-05-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
Shredtastic: Yes they are the Black and White and red head bastards. "Migratory Bird Act" what a crock of crap if they are damaging your home you should be able to blast them. There is PLENTY of places for them to live and peck away where they belong. The pellet gun is Darwinizm! IMO

Just for the record I'm a Bird lover not hater. I don't kill anything that's not messing with my House or cars/boats, That reminds me The Turkeys are next of the list. they see their reflection in my black car and they peck and scratch the side of my car.

Dane: Solar Powerd Owel's. Wow and I thought Sharks with Laser Beams was bad a$$

The research I have come up with say's 560 FPS to 900 FPS is the best for accuracy. These gun's that shoot 1400 FPS are loud and the most of the time the Pellet doesn't have enough weight behind it and its not aerodynamic like a bullet to over come the turbulence flying supersonic creates. A good quote I saw said.

"A lower velocity pellet that lands on target will do more damage then a higher velocity pellet that misses"
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-05-2014, 11:58 AM Reply   
Grant, going with a "quiet" gun is a good idea. You don't want your neighbors calling the cops on you.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-05-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
I have owned a Benjamin np and np 2. Both were " hold sensative" and I hated it. I recently ditched the whole break barrel pellet concept and am now shooting a pcp rifle. Hatsan at44-10. Wow what a difference. It's a 10 shot repeater. Shoots fast and extremely accurate no matter how it's held. Also, you don't need an air gun specific scope for it. Break barel spring or gas ram guns require a special scope. The action of the spring or piston will destroy a normal scope.
If your just out to plink a few pests the np gun will do fine. If you want to have a kick in the pants and shoot often, get a pcp.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-05-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
what's wrong with something like a crosman 760? Was good enough for me as a kid and they're available at every walmart for like $35. Definitely powerful enough to shoot your eye out.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-05-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
760 is a great rifle. Honestly, I would shoot one over a break barrel.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-06-2014, 12:01 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=grant_west;1897065] That reminds me The Turkeys are next of the list. they see their reflection in my black car and they peck and scratch the side of my car.

Ha! I have a buddy who owns a nice commercial office complex and he had this lady come up to him expecting him to pay for the damage some wild turkey did to her black car door while she was parked in said complex since he owned the property. Some people........ I wouldn't hesitate to punt one of these beaked bastards if I saw them near my new black truck.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
Andy; that Hatsun looks awesome. I would live to shoot a PCP rifle. I'm guessing your getting like 25 shots per charge? How do you refill? Are you using a hand pump? My buddy's are saying the bicycle style hand pumps require 4 pumps per shot. So that a lot of pumping. The scuba tanks are good for how many refills?
Just wondering what the total investment is to get into a PCP rifle.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
Another thing because A "quiet rifle " is what I'm in the market for that NP-2 looks even better. 80 DB is pretty quiet. The Hatsun was a bit louder. In the upper 90's. Still a awesome set up. Looks like it could be a fun cheep way to play sniper. LAPUA rounds are pretty costly
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-06-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
I have a CO2 version of the Crossman 760 that I had as a kid. Pellets seem like overkill for a bird. I took out two squirrels a few months back that got into my attic with one shot a piece. Neck shot, bled out fast, and went to squirrel heaven.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2014, 4:17 PM Reply   
IMO rifles like the crossman 760 are great and cheep, but are not very accurate over distance. And what I'm shooting at most of time won't let u get very close. I want to shoot and be done. Sometimes you don't get another chance for a while cause they fly away and who knows when they are gonna come back. "One and Done" is a good gauge here. If Everytime I shoot I can take one of the bastards out it will not be long before my problem is solved. They seem to be on the war path now. It seems like 2 times a year the peckers are on crack! And this is the time of year.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-06-2014, 4:27 PM Reply   
Grant, the fixer upper that I bought was under attack before I took ownership. I knew this going in. My chimney guy pulled acorns from the chimney surround picture below. Yes, they were busy.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
Wow; that's an impressive sack of nuts! 😄
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-08-2014, 10:18 PM Reply   
Can't go wrong with a Benjamin 392 or 397....22 or 177 ...both multi pump killers.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-09-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
Grant,

I get about 30 shots before I need to top off the gun's air tank. With 30 shots, the tank drops from 2800psi to about 1000.(it's the 22 cal).
I fill using a scuba tank. I got a 3100psi 100ci scuba tank for $150 used. When the scuba tank drops to 2700psi, I get it topped off at the scuba shop. Costs $6. I get about 700 or so shots before I need to top off the scuba. Pretty cheap. I get the crosman premier ultra mag pellets on Amazon for $9 / 500. The gun is ridiculously accurate. Dime sized groups at 40 yds. Still need to shoot it at farther distances, but have plugged a varmint at 60yds and whacked it right in the ear. Where I was aiming. I target shoot with it mostly. It's insanely fun. I love the 10 round magazine and simple cocking lever. The only downfall is the gun is loud for an air gun. Really loud. Neighbor thought I was shooting a 22 rim fire. I solved that problem by getting what they call a " lead dust collector". Silly term they use for a silencer to avoid batf issues. Now it is super quiet. Pretty much hear the hammer falling and a small poof of air. pellet smacking the target is the loudest part now.
The hand pump run about $250 and are a pain Iin the butt. Becomes very tiresome to use. They also have the problem of seals wearing out. To hit 300psi you are pretty much leaning on the pump using body weight to pump. Yuck
S
Hatsan now has the same gun in a "QE" model. It has a shrouded barrel and is super quiet and a great shooter. I shoot a couple hundred pellets a week in my house and yard at a pellet trap/target I made.

Last edited by colorider; 11-09-2014 at 9:02 PM. Reason: Hhh
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
Andy; thanks for the follow up. When you go to recharge your scuba tank do they (the scuba shop) hassle you about having a dive card to refill? I know some guys at the local fire house that May OR May not be able to help me out. They are selling the HATSUN QE for around $650. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan...Air_Rifle/3391
What do you think of the scope that comes with it?

I'm leaning more towards spending more then my Orignal budget and getting a PCP rifle. The real deciding factor would be sound. I for sure want a real quiet rifle. That way I don't have to feel guilty about making noise and can plink when ever I want to. I would hate to spend more and have a rifle that's make more noise then the less expencieve NP-2.

My thoughts in up grading or spending more was It could or would be used for more then just dispatching my current problem. Setting it up for plinking seems like a fun and Inexpencive
Way to plink away more oftin
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-10-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
Grant

You will plink a LOT more with the hatsan and a pcp. My dive shop will mark the tank "not for scuba" if you don't have a dive card. Scuba tanks are popular with the paintball players and the dive shops are familiar with them filling tanks for non scuba use. If you have a hookup at a fire station, then I suggest a carbon fiber 4500psi tank. ! Much smaller and easier to transport. Only downfall is they are much more expensive.
As for sound, I think the QE hatsan will be good. Its pretty darn quiet and is quieter then the NP series of rifle. I forgot to mention the trigger on the Hatsan. It is what they call the Quatro Trigger and it is fully adjustable. It is the best trigger I have ever had on an air rifle. Honestly, I have $250 triggers in my ar-15 rifles and this hatsan trigger is pretty darn good compared. The trigger in the NP rifles is simple horrible and for my trigger picky shooting, I found them to be unshootable.
When I decided to go the PCP route I did research for a month or so. I decided on the Hatsan due to the reviews and the fact that out of the box it shoots perfect. Other PCP rifles such as the Discovery and the Maurader require upgrades to get them shooting half as good as the Hatsan.
The scopes that come with them are meh..... doable, but the best. If you want a GREAT scope at a decent price I would get this. I have 2 of them. one on my hatsan and one is on one of my ar rifles. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...e_p/pa416x.htm

Also, the link you have above in your post is for the Hatsan BT series rifle. They are beasts. Pretty heavy, pack a mean punch.
the one I have is this one. A bit cheaper and totally enough power. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan...Air_Rifle/3390

Another thing regarding sound. If your pellet goes faster then the speed of sound you will hear a sonic crack. It's pretty cool, but also pretty loud. In order to keep them from going that fast, you have to use heavier pellets then standard stuff. The at44 likes the crosman premier ultra magnums, the BT series likes the JSB jumbo heavy exacts. The JSB pellets are double the price of the crosmans. Each gun seem to like different pellets and research and trial and error is how I found that out. I would go with the at44-10 qe. Costs less and shoots just as good as the BT. Actually, people in the air gun world seem to lean more toward the at44 as well.

Last edited by colorider; 11-10-2014 at 3:32 PM. Reason: sdf
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-16-2014, 3:06 PM Reply   
Andy against your advice I ended up buying a used Benjamin marauder from a guy on craigslist I got a great deal on it because I was able to trade and barter for it. All the research I came up with The Hatsun you pointed me towards was the ticket. In fact the guy I bought the marauder off of was buying the Hatsun 25 caliber version.

So now I am on the hunt for a scuba tank so that I can charge her up and start plinking.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-16-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
Here is a pic;
Attached Images

Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       11-16-2014, 5:56 PM Reply   
Boy do hope woodpeckers were not protected when I was a kid, 20 years ago. I probably shot a hundred of those things with a crappy bb gun.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-17-2014, 12:49 PM Reply   
NICE mrod. If it is 22 cal and you are having problems with accuracy, they had a bad batch of barrels. Contact them for a replacement. Of course that's only if you are having problems. Most likely you got a good one from new production. Happy plinking !
Btw, for tons of info and tweaks for your rifle, head on over to gatewaytoairguns.com. Great site !
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2014, 2:47 PM Reply   
I got the rifle from a guy who shot it quite often and had it all sighted in for 30- 50 yards and even had figured out what pellets gave him the best results, he had even installed a heaver hammer spring (don't know what that would do but I also have the stock one) So I'm pretty sure if this one had issues he had them sorted out but thanks for the info. I will keep that bit of info in the event if I cant hit the side of a bar Ill blame it on the Bad Batch of barrels, Ill check out the website you listed

I got a line on a 80 Aluminum tank that's has current hydro and the Air venturi to fill the Marauder. I'm trying to pick it up this week and try it out this weekend.
One thing for sure is this thing is quite heavy and holding it steady free hand is quite a skill.

The Nikon scope I wish had a focus for short distances, But that's something that may not be a issue in real world.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-17-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
for focus at shorter distance, you need a scope with an adjustable objective or "ao" However, you prob wont be shooting much at short range. The heavier hammer spring is normaly used to fine tune the amount of air being released when shot. Sounds like the guy who had it knew what he was doing and you have a great shooting gun on your hands. The air venturi fill station is a good one. When filling, open the scuba valve very slow and slowly let the air into the gun's tank.
Hopefully the pellets he found that worked the best are not hard to find. I have found that amazon has some of the best prices on pellets and if you have prime, the shipping is free. Helps out. Airgundepot and pyramid air are 2 other sources to shop. . Be careful, the pcp airgun hobby can quickly become expensive with upgrades and doohickies for the thing.

As far as weight goes, a lot of the pcp rifles are quite heavy. The air tank is pretty darn heavy. You will get used to it and learn to shoot in certain positions where you can support the gun better. Get a sling. I shoot quite often with the Hatsan and my real rifles, so I am used to dealing with rifle weight and how to get things more steady.
Have fun!

Last edited by colorider; 11-17-2014 at 3:19 PM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
I picked up a 100 Cubic foot Scuba tank. It's got a current Hydro and visual so it's all good to go for getting it filled. The local shop sold it to me for $100.
Some good advice that they passed on was. It's best to buy your tank from a reputable dive shop. Because some of the tanks that get rejected and don't pass Hydro end up on craigslist. And either the sellers are unaware of it or they are and are just trying to pass it off. But you have no way of knowing until it's too late. You can't fill a tank unless it's current. I had to drop another $70 for a Air Yolk and high pressure air line, and I'm good to go
Attached Images

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-18-2014, 7:45 PM Reply   
Grant,

GREAT price on the tank, great place to get one, and the price you spent for the yoke is very good.!
Now for a tip when they fill the thing. Don't let them short fill it. Many shops will. Make sure to tell them you want a full fill which should be 3300 psi on a 100 size tank. Here is what most shops do. They fill it and then hand it over to you. When filling, there is quite a bit of heat produced. Some shops will stop the fill at 3000psi and call it done. Once the tank cools, your tanks is at about 2900 psi. Tell them you want it as close to 3300psi as possible. Some shops fill the tank with it in a water bath which cools it (and also a safety measure). Some shops fill to about 3000, let it cool down, then top it off to 3300 SLOWLY as not to produce too much heat. Mostly the shops short fill because they are lazy
Another thing to think about. Once the scuba tank hits a certain psi, say 2900, it will not fill your gun tank any more then 2900. You will probably want to get the scuba tank topped off when you have used it enough to get the psi down to around 2500psi or so. All depends on what psi your gun tank runs on and how well it shoots at lower psi fills.

DONT FORGET TO HIT THE PURGE VALVE ON THE YOKE WHEN REMOVING THE LINE FROM THE GUN!!!!!!!! BEST WAY TO BLOW THE ORINGS AND IT IS ALSO NOT SAFE. THE HOSE CAN WHIP AROUND! YOU ARE PLAYING WITH A LOT OF PRESSURE.!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Andy: thanks for the help. I'm getting the tank filled today so I'll take ur advise. I was told my'n shoots best at 2800. My gauge go's to 3000. We filled the rifle yesterday and you have quite a bit of controll of the pressure. We shot it like 30 times before it started falling off. It still shot pretty good below 2000 psi.
Old     (quinner)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-19-2014, 8:39 AM Reply   
You may want to consider having a pest control/exterminator take a look at your house, often times a woodpecker pecking at your siding is an indicator there is an infestation of some sort.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
It was just a ROUGE pecker. Once he was Magically took a dirt nap (I think he ate a nut that didn't agree with him) the problem pretty much has gone away. Still lots of peckers in the hood but they are not bothering anyone so they can stay. My guy would just peck away (as if he was testing things out and then go away). I have not had any more problems,so hopefully the trouble makers are gone. We have been here for years and Never had a problem but i will keep a eye out
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-19-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Rogue peckers will get ya every time!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-19-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
Have fun Grant, and watch out for those rogue peckers. They are dangerous.
I just got done putting 100 pellets through my Hatsan. You will have to make yourself a pellet trap for indoor shooting!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2014, 3:08 PM Reply   
Andy here is a link to the fill station parts I got Grand Total $58

Here is the $19 Fill Whip http://www.ansgear.com/Guerrilla_Air...irfillwhip.htm
Here is the $39 Scuba Yolk http://www.ansgear.com/ANS_Scuba_Yol...sscubayolk.htm
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-19-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
I once had a red peckered wood head problem around here as well.
Nasty stuff and hard to get rid of.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-19-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
Thats a nice looking rifle. I was going to suggest the 760 that was thrown out above. I think with there is a lot of variation since they are a budget product. My old pump 760 was a tack driver and scoped could reach far with a pellet and be dead money, but I wouldn't doubt the next one sold to be all over the place. You ended up with a nice piece of equipment!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-20-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Grant,
Please make sure the whip is for high pressure rated to at least 4500psi. It does not say in the description. It looks like a standard co2 filling hose that will burst as soon as you crack open the scuba valve. Dangerous.

also, don't lube any orings or fittings on the fill station with anything but an extremely super duper small amount of silicone lube. Just enough to barely feel. Petroleum based lubes can cause an explosion under such high pressure. A few paintballers have blown up because of this.

Last edited by colorider; 11-20-2014 at 8:24 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-20-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
Andy; thanks I just spoke with them and they said the line is a high pressure line capable of 4500-5000 psi. Thanks for the info about the oil and silicon.

Question; if my tank is pressurized to 3500 Psi. And I'm filling my gun to 2800 psi how much is the line holding at the time of charging?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-20-2014, 12:15 PM Reply   
I was looking at this SilentCat gun on sale for $169 at BIG5.

Tough to know if it will be as quiet as advertised.
Attached Images

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-20-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
Grant,
the airline is going to be holding at least 2800 when filling. When the guns tank hits 2800, the airline will have 2800psi in it. At that point if you continue to fill, the pressure and line pressure will increase till it hits whatever pressure is in the scuba tank then stop. The line can never have more pressure in it then the source tank. This is why it is very important to keep your eye on the gun tank gauge and fill slowly. Stop the fill at 2800. If you go past that by much you can have big problems. As in tank rupture. Some airgun tanks have burst discs that will blow to prevent over filling. Some don't. Just keep an eye and stop filling at 2800, hit the purge valve or button on the yoke, remove the air hose from the gun.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-20-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Gd,
It has a pretty good "twang" when the spring releases to shoot.
The air coming out the barrel is quiet, but that spring is pretty noisy.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-20-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
Before I started this thread I was looking at a few different Gammo's my coworker happen to have the exact model that I was looking at. He shot it for me while I was able to stand back and listen to what it sounded like from my neighbors perspective. If I didn't know any better I would have swore he was shooting a 22 rimfire. He had the bone collector Gammo. It didn't have the silencer that the silent cat in your post had. So maybe that silent cat is quite a bit quieter. YouTube seems to have quite a bit of videos and you can get a pretty good idea of the sounds guns make. I think if you're going to shoot once or twice and be done you can get away with the loud one. But if you're going to be plinking away I'm sure you're going to draw some unwanted attention.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-22-2014, 12:00 PM Reply   
I got my Fill Yolk yesterday. All total I have about $525 in my set up.
I got the rifle for $200 cash and Threw in something worth $125 for a total of $325 for the Rifle set up. I payed $100 for the tank + $7 to have it filled I payed $70 for the fill yolk and line delivered.

It's pretty fun plinking away. This thing is super accurate and I'm shooting the oak leaves of the tree across the street 30 yards away.
Attached Images

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-22-2014, 12:14 PM Reply   
Seems about right $500+ to get rid of a woodpecker
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-22-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74124.html
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-22-2014, 1:22 PM Reply   
^^Andy^^

Don't know what you taking about? Peckers are protected.