Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-23-2015, 9:55 AM Reply   
We have a 70lb and growing German Shepherd that I really want to take to the lake with us....anyone have experience and recommendations on boots for dogs so they do not destroy the seat?!?
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-23-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
I realize it's not boots but I saw a malibu that had covers made for the seats and sun pad. The material was like a thick shower towel. It may be an option. I'm considering it just to preserve the interior and keep from burning myself on the hot sun pad
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       08-24-2015, 4:19 AM Reply   
www.SoftPaws.com
Old     (sse01)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-24-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
I am sure that I will get chastised for saying this, but we have had no issues with dogs.

We put 100 hours a year on our boat with a dog (or two) and never have they torn up a seat. Our last boat had 8 full seasons on it and the upholstery was still in great shape. The only issue with our type of dogs (Labs) is that their hair gets everywhere!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2015, 11:09 AM Reply   
Agreed. Dogs walk on their pads, not nails. I've never ever seen a boat interior torn up by a dogs nails. Lazy people on the other had, can shred an interior in less than a season. My 80 lb dog has never come close to causing damage, but the hair all over is a pain.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-24-2015, 11:54 AM Reply   
I've got an 85 lb lab mix and we take him out on the boat all the time. No problems at all.
Old     (EchoSkis)      Join Date: Mar 2015       08-24-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
Our dog uses Ruffwear boots for hiking and they work great. He is active enough that his nails are not sharp enough for me to worry about him shredding the interior. Dingo also uses a Ruffwear lifejacket while the boat is under way.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2015, 12:46 PM Reply   
I tried the Soft Paws years ago when we first got our boat and both dogs chewed them off in a couple days. Like others we have never had an issue with the dogs ruining the upholstery and both our dogs are 70+ pounds. The shedding is another story though
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2015, 2:08 PM Reply   
I grind my boxers nails with a dremel so they are smooth. She minds it less then the cutters and no tears so far.
Now like others have said, the hair is another story.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-24-2015, 4:22 PM Reply   
I would probably go with kitten mittens if your dog is making to much noise on the boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fP4emqw7O4
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-25-2015, 8:03 AM Reply   
She weighs 45 lbs -- zero vinyl issues...

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       08-26-2015, 8:00 AM Reply   
+1 for the ruff wear boots,just puts my mind at ease. My only worry would be how they worked while swimming, but my dogs don't care for the water that much so no issues yet.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-26-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
Have had my 65lb pup several times on the boat and also was paranoid about the interior.

All you need is well trimmed nails an no worries.
Old     (jzelt)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-26-2015, 1:32 PM Reply   
Wife made seat covers out of terry cloth type material(fabric store bought by the yard) and elastic. Helps a ton in heat as you don't stick/feel the hot vinyl.
We have lab/husky mix, and I found to get the hair out of the carpet was best done with a wet/damp foot and just drag it across the floor into a ball and pick it up.
Before the seat covers we just used regular boating towels and tried to keep him down to those seats only. (Yeah right).
Old     (BOWZ)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-06-2015, 5:57 PM Reply   
Two 70lb black labs, first summer was towels on the sun pad and seats. A pain and always soaking wet. Since then we have done nothing and have yet to see any tears in our 12 year old seats. I think the trick is to take the dogs swimming to tire them out before you even put the boat in the water.

Bowz
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-10-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
Shredtastic has the right ones.. Nice