Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       11-07-2017, 9:15 AM Reply   
Hello all!

I have been towing a G21 for a few years now and just ordered a 2018 G23. I tow with a 2016 F250 Diesel, so I know the rig will pull the G23 fine (as it does the G21), my concern lies in the trailer axles.

My G21 trailer used smaller (16 inch I believe) rims on its tandem axle. I'm considering moving up to the 18 inch rims for the G23 for purely cosmetic reasons. My concern is safely towing as I make a 1,000 mile round trip two to three times a year, other than that, it's just the 1/2 mile from the storage unit to my ramp. (I've read Jeff's post about safe towing...it started this search)

From a load bearing perspective, is it unsafe to go with an 18 inch rim unless you go with a triple axle for the Gseries? Thanks for your help!

(also posted over at Planet Nautique)

Nate
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       11-07-2017, 1:12 PM Reply   
I have a 2014 tandem axle (Boatmate) with 18" rims....carries SV244 that dry is 5600lbs but with gear, fuel, lead, etc....has gotta be close to 7000lbs, plus another 1500 for the trailer, so total of 8,500lbs going down the road. I tow every time I take the boat out and have had zero issues and took a 700 mile round trip thru the mountains this summer, also without issue.
Pretty sure my boat "dry weight" is almost exactly the same weight as G23. I know yours has higher freeboard, but mine is a little longer so guessing they equal out when it comes to weight.

Why do you think 18" rims would be less safe on the load bearing....what is the axle rating? I have never heard that but does not mean its not true. Personally I would prefer the tandem to the triple every time cause trailer will be easier to turn, replacing 4 tires instead of 6 when time comes and sure the tires will wear better on tandem than triple cause so much stress is put on the tires every time you turn...more so with triple axle.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-07-2017, 6:09 PM Reply   
Aren’t triples just to look cool? Tandem will be just fine.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       11-08-2017, 5:53 AM Reply   
I've been reading about the limiting factors on trailers - as being either the axles or tires. Then I was sent this message from another Nautique G23 owner from BoatMate Trailer company:

Thank you for the email and I will be glad to answer your question. On the G23 XL model, the GVWR rating is 10,000 lbs which is due to two factors. Factor one is that we use 5200 lb axles on the XL Version along with the 15” wheels. In this scenario, you actually have 10,400 lbs of axle capacity but your 15” wheels/tires is the limiting factor of 10,000 lbs thus making the GVWR rating 10,000 lbs. On the G23 standard trailer, we use 4,200 lbs axles thus making it 8,400 lbs however we still use 15” wheels/tires so in this case, the axles are your limiting factor. The reason the 10k trailer only can use 15” wheel is the 18” wheels can’t carry a carrying capacity of 10,000 lbs in a tandem axle configuration but only a triple axle configuration. This is why if you want 10k GVWR, you must go with a triple axle if you want 18” wheels. Hope this answer your questions and if you need anything else, don’t hesitate to let me know.

That said, is it even necessary? Dry weight on the G23 is 5,900 lbs. I don't plan on having additional lead in the boat, just the normal gear like life jackets, surf boards, etc.

I am sure there are many G owners with 18inch rims, I just want to be sure while towing on these long trips with my family/friends that we are doing it as properly as possible. Thanks guys!
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       11-08-2017, 6:39 AM Reply   
Can't speak to a G23 on 18's but our SE is 5500 dry, so close, and we have a tandem axle with 18's. Seems to do just fine when I tow it 2 hours at a time on the highway. I would think a triple axle might be a bit more stable at extended highway speeds, which would be nice for a 1000 mile trip.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2017, 7:35 AM Reply   
I was going to say that triple axels were for kooks, but a few 1,000 mile trips a year! If anyone could justify it, it would be you.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-08-2017, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride152 View Post
BoatMate Trailer company:

Thank you for the email ......
Interesting that Boatmate doesn't consider tongue weight in their capacity calculations.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       11-09-2017, 7:14 PM Reply   
I think the standard trailer @ 8400lbs would do fine, if they advertise that, then its likely to be capable of more and they are being safe to avoid suits. But your "dry weight" is a lot less than actual weight. I have not weighed mine loaded to verify...but my boat "dry" was listed at 5,800. Once fuel, batteries, all gear, full fuel tank (don't think tower is calculated in dry weight either)...anyway I figure my boat is 7,000lbs all in, plus 1500 for the trailer, so could be 8,500lbs together. I need to check sometime cause I also keep 400lbs of lead in boat at all times that I did not factor into my equation. Mine is tandem on 18" tires....and the tires are stamped with "extra load" on side and say 2,277lbs each. So have to assume I have 5k axles and mine is good for 10k lbs. I know it was the upgraded trailer package, I should verify axles myself to be sure of course.
Old     (Johnny5)      Join Date: Feb 2017       11-10-2017, 7:55 AM Reply   
I bought a 17 Supra SE with a tandem and 18inch wheels, the trailer is BoatMate. I too considered a triple axle but ended up going with a tandem, saved the money. I have pulled my boat all summer all over California with no issues, I dont even know its back there, very smooth and stable. I have driven down highways back country roads you name it. I have mine loaded up with 2 ice chest full, 3 surfboards, 2 wakeboards, 2 tubes, and a full tank of gas. Planning to add at least 400lbs of lead for next summer to it as well. Triple looks cool but not worth the money, not to mention backing a trailer in with 3 axles in tight places I imagine would be a bear. BoatMate manufactures a kick ass trailer.

Last edited by Johnny5; 11-10-2017 at 8:01 AM.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-18-2017, 10:03 AM Reply   
Last year, my MB 23 was on a CTW tandem axle trailer with 18's. Ride was bouncy and had several long trip problems with axles etc.

This year my '17 MB was on a Triple Axle Boat matte trailer with 18's. Totally different experience. I'll admit, that several people warned me against going triple (i.e. turning radius, not needed for weight/load etc / extra cost). However--- the boat towed so nice on long trips! I love it. Was it over kill? Yes, probably so, but when your rolling down the road 1,000 miles or so, and the boat tows like a dream... It's worth it. I'm not 100% sure if this improvement came from the triples, or it was because the trailer was a different brand. I suspect a bit of both.

All I can say is it TOWED LIKE A DREAM. Solid-Tracked, perfecto.
Attached Images

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       11-20-2017, 1:28 PM Reply   
Brianinpdx,

Your MB is IMPRESSIVE!

A friend of mine owns an MB and my brother in law loved the surf wave so much he ordered one last year. We have had three people surfing behind my buddies 2015 MB52, he has added a ton of additional ballast. It throws a very impressive wave!

Do you have much issue backing down a ramp compared to the tandem? I have to occasionally cut a 90 degree turn backing into my driveway, any issues with a turn like that?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-23-2017, 5:35 PM Reply   
So, on a triple which tire/s scrub during a turn? I know my tandem the front two tires scrub because, I'm guessing, there is more weight on the rear tires. I'm just thinking of how the tires would wear.