Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-05-2017, 5:36 PM Reply   
Good evening,

Setting up a basic sound system. Main priority is having extremely clean high's/mid's. I just finished my amp tonight for the tower and 6.5's. Haven't been able to tune it yet but man it screams.

2000 Tige 21v.

Current:
2x Rockford Fosgate 8" tower speakers
4x JL 6.5" speakers
1x Kenwood 900x4 ab amp

The sub is my question. I'm just looking to make it sound right. Now, with that being said we do listen to all types of music on the water, including bass heavy songs. I was looking at doing a single 10" rockford fosgate sub, sealed box, 2000 watt kenwood amp (specs in links below). Planning on putting it in the storage area under the drivers console.

I'm afraid with so much open air space this will not be enough to make it sound right. Should i go to a 12 or maybe a pair of 10's?

Any thoughts?

Sub:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...00E2EUMR&psc=1

Amp:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4DPYV13E&psc=1

Box:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...end-10SQL.html
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-05-2017, 5:45 PM Reply   
Also, check out this cool photo from our first wakesurfing session. This was with no balast and a wedge. Looking forward to throwing 500lb's in the locker with a few more people and seeing what happens. It was great fun. A few of us were able to go ropeless on our first session which was very cool. Much easier on the body than wakeboarding haha.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-05-2017, 6:10 PM Reply   
Wow, whole lot of wasted zeros in those specs.

Amp: its 2K peak, which means nothing. Its only viable spec is its 500W rms @ 4 ohm and 1000W rms @ 2 ohm

Woofer: In the 4 ohm configuration you are looking at, the amp would deliver only 500W rms. One forth of the awesome 2K that sounded good a minute ago.

The box: will begin to degrade in one season in most marine environments. Skip any automotive grade MDF pre-made box. Build a custom that meant to last in a boat.

Location: rather then in the locker, mount it in the wall under the helm. Id look at doing a 12" over a 10" Direct radiating into the cabin not closed in a locker. IMO< id do the Wet Sounds Revo-12FA 2 ohm and the HTX1 amp. Thats a 600W rms setup 12" woofer that does not need an enclosure built behind but rather uses the locker cavity. Better setup then your initial plan linked above.
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-05-2017, 6:27 PM Reply   
Thank you sir.

It's a 4ohm dvc sub (single sub) meaning it would be wired under a 2ohm load. Amp isn't a true 2k amp, but i'd still prefer an amp turned down over an under powered sub.

Any other alternatives in your opinion on mounting location? I really don't want to see it... i really like a clean look. Looking into the sub/amp combo you suggested now.

Again, thank you for the response!
Old     (spearce63)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-05-2017, 6:49 PM Reply   
FYI... this is how i was anticipating on wiring... appreciate the input. Look forward to the opinions.

https://images.crutchfieldonline.com...4-ohm_mono.jpg
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-05-2017, 7:21 PM Reply   
Is it a DVC? Im not intimate with that woofer and and quick glance thought it was a single 4. In that case, the amp output is 1000 ohm, still not 2000. I would also not trust that MDF box above 600W rms.

Closing a woofer in an insulated locker is like cutting the amp wattage in half. So whatever you wanted to turn it down to, cut that in half and thats the perceived output in the cabin. Either way, go with a 12". naturally more output and deeper bass.