Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-12-2017, 10:52 AM Reply   
Hey guys, to help grow the sport and to help east tn bring in wake surfing. we are going to hold a surf fest, no not a tournament not anything like that but just a time for a lot of people to get to get together, tie the boats up and have people with boats out there to surf. We are shooting for aug 12th, a whole day of surfing. Few guys have floating houses out there so we might use that to tie up to.

Being the HQ for some of the biggest name brands in boating, why not bring surfing to the area. Feel free to comment or any tips. This is not sponsored by any dealership or any company. This is a group of guys who just want to grow the sport and love the event. A time to try out each others boards maybe some other boats.

Feel free to come or look it up on facebook, Norris lake surf fest 2017 event.

Love the sport, grow the sport, and continue to develop within the sport!!!
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-12-2017, 11:34 AM Reply   
I'm over in Nashville so this might be a possibility for me.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2017, 12:12 PM Reply   
Tying up a bunch of boats and wakesurfing in the area sounds like an adventure...
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-12-2017, 12:58 PM Reply   
Sounds more like a product testing for bumpers
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-12-2017, 5:16 PM Reply   
We are just trying to grow the sport...i know on my lake Cherokee last year only us surfing.. this year seen 5 boats now. Heard not many on Norris either... some guys are wanting to help grow and help each other test different boards too... just trying to get it caught up on over here. Jealous of what goes on in ga and out west...
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-12-2017, 6:01 PM Reply   
Not sure what part of Norris your sources are at, but this lake is packed with surfers.

Where on the lake are you doing Surf Fest?
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       07-12-2017, 6:23 PM Reply   
I'm definitely interested but that's an off weekend I won't be at Norris. I'm there 7/21-7/24, 8/4-8/6 and 8/18-8/21 coming up, so not sure I can make it down on the 12th as well, Bummer! Definitely post up pics and stuff from the turnout. We spent the first week of July down there and it was great as always.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-12-2017, 7:07 PM Reply   
My buddy said his family's house is just around the penesala... the place I was told to meet up is by morning star landing I think..i stick to Cherokee lake...i know this past weekend saw few boats trying but struggling..i even saw someone surfing a sea ray... think it's too dangerous.
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       07-12-2017, 9:15 PM Reply   
The water over by the peninsula is always busy, personally I'd rather be further south down around Hickory Star or west up around Whitman Hollow. We usually have much calmer waters and fewer boats than over by the peninsula.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-13-2017, 5:29 AM Reply   
I was told to tell everyone to put in hickory star, I swear it was morning star, but it was one of those, just south of the park I think. I was told the biggest coves are over there. I was just saying my buddies house is by peninsula since someone asked where people are that say they don't see surfers. I personally never go to Norris because I have always heard its to busy. I love Cherokee because its less traffic and easier for surfing. Tried on loudon before and it was to busy. Feel free to come and hang out and give pointers to people if you want.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-13-2017, 9:34 AM Reply   
How busy is it down by Hickory Star as you move towards Bubba Brews? We are at the other end of the lake near Springs.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-13-2017, 10:15 AM Reply   
Ill be honest I don't know. We picked Norris because a few of the guys who are meeting up say its the best looking lake and a few have floating house boats new to dock and hang out at. I am learning just like you all about this lake. I might try and hit the lake up soon to just see it for myself. I have also heard there are some good bars with live music too. I grew up on the beach so this area is still new for me even though I been here several years.
Old     (LouZahr)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-14-2017, 7:25 AM Reply   
There are a lot of people that surf on Norris.

There is a Norris wake surf FB page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/norrislakewakesurfers/

Should cross promote it there.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-14-2017, 11:30 AM Reply   
i just asked to join, didn't know there was that many, when I heard there wasn't many on that lake im shocked now.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-15-2017, 11:48 AM Reply   
I may be down to drive up there if you get this organized. Be driving up from NC in Charlotte area...looks like 4-5hr drive. I have a 2014 Centurion SV244. For those that do not know the area or lake....be good to have an address for launch if possible (Hickory Star does not pull up on GPS maps), a meeting place and time, etc. Hope it all works out
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-17-2017, 9:37 AM Reply   
That would be awesome to see a centurion up here. I don't see many, ive only seen one and one tige. As of now I have heard axis dealership is thinking of sending a new boat out there and also Malibu from the factory they might be bringing a new boat. Also have heard people mentioned many people going will have newer mastercrafts or axis. Should be a good time. Also hoping maybe this will become a thing like they do in GA or out west and have some pros come to it down the road. MAybe if we have a good turn out. Plus its just a great way to meet others, I got to surf with some new people on douglas lake which was amazing, it was a blast. Its just great to meet new people surf different boards, get pointers, and different waves.

I will check on the address like I said I neve rbeen to Norris, I think im taking that Friday off now too so I can have three days of surf, Friday then surf fest Saturday then who ever is still there on Sunday.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-18-2017, 11:34 AM Reply   
Sounds good, I would want to make a weekend out of it if I can too. Come up Fri and leave on Sunday sometime. Is there anywhere to camp around there, I got tents and whatever else I need...I may even sleep in boat, would think that would be pretty comfortable if weather is gonna be decent.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-18-2017, 12:34 PM Reply   
Hmm, Nathan, I am not sure how to send a PM. Just takes me to your profile page. Serious about coming tho and wanted to be sure I stay in loop on the details. Sounds like my wife may come hang out too...which means hotel, not camping, lol. But sure I can find something not far away. I will check on it.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-18-2017, 1:33 PM Reply   
Hope its the right spot...I just booked a room at Hickory Star Marina and also got a boat slip so I can leave boat in water (and convenient for some night surfing!). I come in Fri afternoon the 11th (I also took off work on Fri so I can be there earlier...guessing like 3pm) and leave sometime on Sunday.
So even if it ends up being just you and me...we are having surf fest, lol

Here is the link for the Marina...its right next to Big Ridge State Park (this is right area, correct?)
http://www.hickorystar.com/vacation-lodging/#inn
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-19-2017, 5:43 AM Reply   
night surfing??? I have never done that but sounds awesome!
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-19-2017, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
I'm definitely interested but that's an off weekend I won't be at Norris. I'm there 7/21-7/24, 8/4-8/6 and 8/18-8/21 coming up, so not sure I can make it down on the 12th as well, Bummer! Definitely post up pics and stuff from the turnout. We spent the first week of July down there and it was great as always.
How's the new boat? Hopefully you are enjoying it.

Looks like I will be there end of August when you are at Norris. What color scheme is your boat and I will keep an eye out for yah.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-19-2017, 6:45 PM Reply   
Yea, been wanting to try night surfing for sure. Hopefully there will be an area nearby we can do it safely and without getting pulled over, lol.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-19-2017, 6:51 PM Reply   
I know night surfing is fun but I believe TN has rule against it. We are allowed to do it on our river but have some shore lighting that helps some. Tried it on Norris years ago in area w no lights, was difficult even w spotlight and tower lights ect..no moonlight and ya just couldn't see anything in the pitch black darkness. So be safe and smart and warned. Was hoping we could come down but we will be there the week before and cant make it that week. Enjoy and have a blast
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-20-2017, 6:25 AM Reply   
I would be curious if you can or cant. I recently looked at the rules because everyone seems to have awesome pics of surfing and they aren't wearing life jackets. I know in TN the rule read if being pulled by rope you have too, so does that mean if your surfing with no rope you don't need one? I always wear mine but im just curious how people take so many photos with out em.

I been wanting to night surf, Cherokee lake is very well known and can do easily. I just never put the under platform lights in since mine is older and thinking of upgrading soon.
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       07-21-2017, 6:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
How's the new boat? Hopefully you are enjoying it.

Looks like I will be there end of August when you are at Norris. What color scheme is your boat and I will keep an eye out for yah.
It's been awesome so far. Hope to see you guys down there next month, here's a pic from yesterday when we left for Norris. We're down at Springs until Monday.

https://flic.kr/p/WmtVe9

Last edited by That_Guy; 07-21-2017 at 6:19 AM.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-21-2017, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
I recently looked at the rules because everyone seems to have awesome pics of surfing and they aren't wearing life jackets. I know in TN the rule read if being pulled by rope you have too, so does that mean if your surfing with no rope you don't need one?
I hardly ever wear my vest while surfing on Norris, but if I ever see TWRA I'll just drop and wait for him to pass. Rarely ever see them out though.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-21-2017, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
It's been awesome so far. Hope to see you guys down there next month, here's a pic from yesterday when we left for Norris. We're down at Springs until Monday.

https://flic.kr/p/WmtVe9
Sounds great. Glad you are enjoying the new boat. Looks nice and matches the truck.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-01-2017, 12:22 PM Reply   
Hey guys just wanted to post again, less then two weeks away. I heard now we have two more boats coming of people who love the sport want to grow it. @015 axis 22 and 2017 Malibu lsv. We also have a guy who was sent a Nauticurl wake shaper for us to demo and try. Thank you to the guys at nauticurl for being the first company to send something. This is a time for people to meet other surfers in east TN and a time to try each others boards and get tips. From what I have heard, we will have some of the best boards out there. Doomswell, CHAOS, Soul craft, Stixx will all be out there with their owners for people to demo. If your big guy, we have two big boy boards out there, doomswell and chaos. This will be a great time for everyone to hang out and build relationships and who knows maybe get the itch for a new board or boat. I am curious to see who has the best wave and which board most people like most. See you all their, anymore info or update info check it out on FB Norris lake surf fest 2017. From the sounds of it everyone is interested to see how it goes, everyone is wanting a true surf fest with competition, vendors and pros in Knoxville. Who knows, maybe we can get that next year if this goes well!!! See you all there!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-01-2017, 9:09 PM Reply   
An additional Malibu and Axis? It's gonna be like Thanksgiving out there with all those mashed potatoes. Jk I'm sure it'll be a great time.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-02-2017, 5:17 AM Reply   
Im most excited to see what that new ENZO can do. I always been told goofy side its a bad wave, but ive only seen pics of the regular side. I guess we shall see. Im excited to try it though. And the mastercraft NXT I think its called.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-02-2017, 6:56 AM Reply   
Wish I could bring our SE450 over but it's going to be in the shop. Maybe next year?
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-02-2017, 7:05 AM Reply   
sounds good. I think that's the same boat wake9 uses and that wave looks amazing. I have a lot of people asking to do it again next year but they want it at a piece of property or place like the point on douglas, where we can have vendors, food, and music and hang out after. Who knows, maybe this will have good numbers and next years the dealerships or boat companies will want to get involved and actually host a tourney. Like heyday tourney in NC in a few weeks, or Desert surf fest, or surf fest GA.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-02-2017, 7:10 AM Reply   
Same boat as Robert, but I think he has the 550 in his. I hope the event gets big! Good luck!
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-02-2017, 7:15 AM Reply   
thanks, I just told Robert im bummed that's the one boat we don't have coming is supra. that and HEYDAY, tige. Im excited to see all the boats and the waves. I surf a smaller wave, I cant imagine what it would be like on all these big long waves.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-02-2017, 7:25 AM Reply   
That's pretty awesome you have every other boat represented though!
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-02-2017, 8:12 AM Reply   
Ya, a bunch of people just want to grow the sport here. we have soul craft boards, doomswell, chaos, hyperlite, slingshot, stixx boards and phase 5. SO many people own so many different kinds it will be fun to see.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-02-2017, 8:08 PM Reply   
Goofy is not a bad wave at all on the Enzo, slightly less wave curl on goofy side due to prop spin, but I have the A-plate and its still clean and long with plenty of push. I rarely set it up goofy (actually only done it a half dozen times), but for you....we will do it, lol.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-07-2017, 12:46 PM Reply   
Its finally here!!!! The week leading up to the event. I look forward to seeing new riders of all levels, boards from all over, and boats of all different types. I look forward to riding with everyone and getting to see what we can potentially grow here. I saw from my friend how big the one south of Nashville got, and I don't see why we cant get one here in east TN. See you all Saturday!!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-09-2017, 5:55 PM Reply   
We may be there out of pure dumb luck. Friday is my bday and I told my wife I wanted to go see my buddy that lives near Bubba brews on Saturday. She liked the idea. We may be out there on the 2013 Axis. It doesn't have surfgate but it will get us out to hickory star. Another friend is bringing the Supra up.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-10-2017, 6:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
We may be there out of pure dumb luck. Friday is my bday and I told my wife I wanted to go see my buddy that lives near Bubba brews on Saturday. She liked the idea. We may be out there on the 2013 Axis. It doesn't have surfgate but it will get us out to hickory star. Another friend is bringing the Supra up.
Tim,

I heard about bubbas. I was wondering how far it is away, bc if its a nice bar on the water would be fun to go to. We will have a suck gate or two there for people to try if they want. The supra, are you talking about the new one? Someone posted on the FB page he might bring a new one. I have three people who said they are wanting to see it for maybe an upgrade. I heard supra has one of the best wakes out there now.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-10-2017, 4:44 PM Reply   
I just looked at GPS, by boat....probably 8-9 miles away from each other, so not far at all..20-25mins cruising at 20-25mph. Looks like a pretty clear shot all the way down main channel.
Packing up all my crap right now to head out that way in the morning.