Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Did you guys see this? Did anybody demo the big ones yet? I am trying to get my hands on it right now.

Shaun's favorite, shaped from 20 years of Wakeboard passion. Shaun Murray is releasing his 20th Pro Model edition in Hyperlite's 25th anniversary season, simply named; The Murray. Countless hours on the water have lead Shaun to this shape and the feedback has been mind-blowing. The Murray shape begins with a Subtle 3-Stage Rocker, there is no flat spot, the rocker simply increases under foot for a colossal boost of the wake. Carrying on from past shapes Shaun kept the Variable Edge Design and Center Landing Spine making the board enjoyable for all ability levels. The board's edge is rounded between the inserts, sharpening under foot and then cupped at the tip and tail delivering solid edge hold when you want it and forgiveness when you need it. Hyperlite's BIO3 Core and CarboNetX construction keep the Murray super light for easy spinning. This combination makes riding a larger board more suitable and the new 20th Anniversary Murray shape is available in a 145cm and 150cm option. "Ride a Bigger Board"-Shaun Murray
Old     (airshark360)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-30-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
yup, i saw that, really wanted it but I couldn't see myself in a 145 so I went with last years Murray 142 ( up from a 139).
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-30-2016, 11:26 AM Reply   
I think it's really awesome that companies are starting to provide boards for the bigger guys and hope I can try one out soon to see the difference. I never really understood why I would ride a 163cm snowboard (which even feels small) and 143cm wakeboard. I get the dynamics are different but the length would still help on water.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-30-2016, 5:26 PM Reply   
or why the pros who are 5'5-5'8" are riding the same board I am supposed to ride at 6'3 300 lbs. Make no sense at all. I have been testing boards for over 20 years and begging all the companies for bigger product for all of that time. I think there are more dudes in the there 30-50 that weight 200-300 than there are competitive young kids - at least we know the older guys are spending money for their equipment for sure compared to a 20 something pro. That is not a dig on the young guys, but the reality is I know hundreds of guys that weight over 200 lbs and would love a little bigger/softer board for our bodies. I have rode the 160 Noman (first version) and I like where that is headed. It was not stiff enough for a heavy guy to really push, but people under 200 lbs have really enjoyed the feel of it. I sure hope this starts the trend.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2016, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have the '16 Murray in a 150 and I couldn't be more happy with it (I am 6'2, 230lbs). I was nervous about getting such a large board but I have been nothing but pleased with it since making the decision. It has made riding soo much easier in addition to allowing me to ride at a slower speed therefore lessening the brutality of hard landings and crashes. As well the Murray is a great board because is super versatile and user friendly. (as a side note, before I bought this board I actually did the math on the lbs/sq inch of surface area adjusted for speed and results show that the current sizing charts for boards do not properly account for increasing weight and therefore are way off unless one really cranks up the speed at which they ride at.)
Old     (TopWakeboardStyles)      Join Date: Mar 2016       03-31-2016, 6:32 PM Reply   
I usually ride boards that are recommended for people who are shorter and lighter then I am. I like having the smaller boards because they give me more lift off of my jumps and it makes it easier for me to spin the board. I would rather have that then have a board that is easier to ride at smaller speeds.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2016, 9:33 PM Reply   
Unless using speed to adjust a smaller board will provide less pop simply due to surface area and physics, but yes it is lighter and more maneuverable so it's a trade off.
For bigger guys, the speed becomes an issue in order to compensate for not having enough surface area. For me riding a 142 at 26mph is approx the same in terms of physics as me riding 150 at 22/23 mph (depending on the boards surface area). depending on how firm one likes the water underneath them, there are only 3 ways to adjust: weight, surface area and speed. I'd have do work out the math but at some point without enough surface area and/or speed to compensate for weight, a lot of pressure will be put on your arms and the board will actually become unstable underneath you due to the downward pressure, kinda like trying to submerge a buoy underwater, it will want to slip to the side to ride back up to the surface. If you usually ride at 23 for example, take the same setup out and try to ride at 17/18 mph. Sure it's great for cruising but big air and tech tricks will be super difficult. Sorry for the rant but hope that clarifies.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2016, 7:34 AM Reply   
Crazy Jon - I have preached this for 20 years. I am forced to ride around 25-27 @ 85' - if I go any slower, the board sits deeper in the water, causing more drag and really slowing things down. While the slingshot 160 I could ride as slow as I want due to no drag, I just could not get the pop I needed. I find when I get to that slower point, I can feel the drag in my lower back and arms. I can tell within 3 minutes if I can ride a board or not and that is without doing any tricks. While surface ares is a very key component you have to throw in drag coefficient to really figure it out I think. Even a guy at 200 is much different than a guy over 250+. The heavier you are the more the board will sit deeper in the water, which you than have to increase speed to compensate for that. I would love to be around 23-25 like most of the guys I ride with - the impact is a tiny bit less, but would be me a little more time to react. Also at he higher speeds it is difficult to ride much closer as there becomes less set up time. Every year I start out trying to ride shorter ropes and slower speeds and realize quickly I just can not do it. For those that will comment - I know go on a diet right? I have been 300-360 for the last 18 years and always rode at this weight and had a handful of inverts and spins. Could not remember the last time I was below 250 - maybe 25 years ago? Anyways its great to see I have some other options.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-01-2016, 10:08 AM Reply   
Jason, well looks like you have been right for about 20 years, too bad not enough people have caught onto this.
if you are interested, here is the very basic math I did (of course it could be made more accurate by adding drag coefficients based upon rocker and base features etc..). I took the profile of 3 pro riders with different size boards and weights and riding speeds
1) divided their weight by the surface area of their board to get a lbs per square inch.
2) adjusted for speed which essentially consists of dividing by riding speed to get lbs per square inch per miler per hour
3) since the result went out too many decimal places I multiplied by 100 to make it a more workable number.
what I found from this is that the results from the pro rider profiles were all almost exactly the same even though they had different weights, speeds and board surface area. this suggests that there is sweet spot for the amount of downward pressure to aim for, or not to exceed. next I looked up the surface area of about 15 different boards and sizes and plugged my personal info into the calculation for each and solved for the speed necessary to keep the end result the same. this is what shows that the physics are the same riding a smaller board faster versus a bigger board slower. of course this math is rough so I tried riding a number of the setups at different speeds and it seemed to be directionally correct with what the math suggested.
so before anyone starts to try to poke holes in the math, i'm sure that if someone wants to take the time they can refine the calcs to be more accurate but these basic calcs do enough to point someone in the right direction.
one thing this doesn't take into account regarding pop is the stiffness of a board, I imagine this is the issue noted with the slingshot 160, if it is a really soft board and a heavy rider, then the flex is probably absorbing some of the energy being generated off the wake and thus reducing pop.
all and all I am stoked that companies are starting to come out with wider size ranges and it should do a lot to grow the sport for adults since there are many adults out there who don't want to rider super fast and weigh more that the 180lbs or less that the majority of wakeboards are made for.
Old     (TopWakeboardStyles)      Join Date: Mar 2016       04-01-2016, 11:17 AM Reply   
Because I sit lower in the water with a smaller board I get more pop off the wake. Yes there is less surface area but there is less weight and more water pushing off the bottom of the board. If I ride a bigger board I am higher up in the water which cause me to hit less of the wake and it launches me easier. The more force that I hit the wake with the higher I go. If I am lower I am hitting more wake and creating more force plus the board is lighter which makes it easier to push off the wake. This is just some things that I have found through personal experience. I could be wrong but I have always gotten more pop off of a smaller board.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-01-2016, 11:33 AM Reply   
I guess it just lends more credit to the fact there much be a sweet spot between not enough downward pressure on the water to generate energy off the wake and too much pressure to where one is just plowing through the water and not getting rebound from it. interesting.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2016, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yhea Jon - I have never done the math but that is super cool. I know - if the board is too soft or not enough square feet = sore back/arms for me and dragging. Its funny cause in the early days I rode a 135 Iconn Best Board and than a 135 LF Fly board and aways had to be on aggressive edge to build any speed and than if I did not land just perfect, I would go out the front. I have found some of the wider/shorter boards like Byerly AR1 boards - when I am on point I really enjoy them, but when I am not I really struggle to time the speed/pop just right. it makes for a very inconstant ride. It is not the board's fault obviously, I have rode probably 20 boards in the last 3-4 years in an effort to find the right combination that just lets me ride and not think. Currently go back and fourth between HL Kruz and LF Trip - They board seem to have minimal drag and enough square feet, but I still have to ride faster than I would like. can't wait to try this new board. A few riders I know have sad it looks to be a good match for me.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-13-2016, 3:23 AM Reply   
@Buffalo, does this mean you've given up on the Nomad? Did you try the '16 version of the Nomad, do you know if any changes were made in the layup of that board?

After you get to ride your new Murray, could you compare the Nomad you rode vs. the Murray?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
Hey Jack - I have never 100% switched to the Nomad as it was just not stiff enough of me. I have yet to ride the '16 nomad, but I understand is stiffer.I love many things about the Nomad, but just could not get the pop out of it for my bigger tricks. I believe it is more a function of my weight pushing the flex too much on the board than anything else. Those boards are meant to flex and snap back, but i think if you flex it to much, than it wont snap back correctly.

I have my new Murray and hope to be on it in the next few days. It is actually similar shape to the nomad, so should be interesting. it feels very stiff which should help me to. i have talked with a few "bigger" guys that have rode it already and love it. I will absolutely do a write up and be able to compare it to the Marek/Kruz/Trip/SuperTrip/Nomad. Either way I am super stoked to see bigger boats and hoping this is finally the perfect combination!
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-28-2016, 5:36 AM Reply   
@Buffalow, any boot time yet on the new Murray?? Curious to get your take on that board...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-28-2016, 8:11 AM Reply   
not yet Jack, but hope to in the next 7 days. Work has been insane and its seems when I have had time, the weather has not cooperated. As soon as I do, I will post here first for sure.
Old     (Ryan3110)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-14-2016, 6:24 PM Reply   
looking for an update. I'm interested in the Murray 150. I'm 6'5 220.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2016, 8:59 AM Reply   
Got on the 150 Murray for a quick set on Saturday. This was my first set for the season and behind someone else's boat on not pristine condition. If was very slippery compared to what I am used to, but very smooth and good pop. Based on early parts of these discussion I can say that I can determine a boards ride for me in under 5 minutes. I rode for probably 20 minutes and like it, which is very rare. This tells me it was not dragging and that it was stiff enough. I also notice I was able to slow the boat 1 mph, which is a good thing. This is just a first impression however and I will need to send more time on it this week. It is very encouraging for sure though.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-16-2016, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Got on the 150 Murray for a quick set on Saturday. This was my first set for the season and behind someone else's boat on not pristine condition. If was very slippery compared to what I am used to, but very smooth and good pop. Based on early parts of these discussion I can say that I can determine a boards ride for me in under 5 minutes. I rode for probably 20 minutes and like it, which is very rare. This tells me it was not dragging and that it was stiff enough. I also notice I was able to slow the boat 1 mph, which is a good thing. This is just a first impression however and I will need to send more time on it this week. It is very encouraging for sure though.
Throw the 1" P wings on it Jason. I like lose boards and I felt with the .8s it was a bit to lose/slippery for me. I threw on some 1" fins and now I am in love with this board. I'm riding the 144 but am 5' 10" 185-190 lbs. Super fast, soft landings and great pop.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Steve - that was my plan - I like a locked in board so the slippery feel is a bit much for me. I like a fast board so i think this will be a good fit. I have talked to several big boys that have switched over to it and love it, so I think i will be in the same. Super pumped to get back on it for sure. I'll get some photos and more details.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2016, 8:15 AM Reply   
Put another set on the Murray this weekend behind my boat with still not ideal conditions. I am finding that it is similar to the 146 LF Trip, but with a lot more pop. I am still trying to figure out the speed and how hard to cut, but overall really enjoying this board so far. I have noticed on tricks that I don't land perfectly, that i would normal crash, I was riding away from. I am sure that is due to the total surface area of the board. Lots of set still to go on it, but so far so good for us big guys.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-06-2016, 12:04 PM Reply   
I had all but quit boarding other than just a few quick cruises because Im #1 45 and # 2 now at about 240lbs and as Jason states my 140's just seem to drag (killing my back and arms) and I don't want to go over 24 mph. Maybe ill try to find a 150 or so might make this fun again. I had started trying to surf more(kinda boring) and got a chair (really fun but quite a different animal lol). Reading this thread has given me hope.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-11-2016, 5:07 AM Reply   
Long time no chat everyone! Really great to hear everyone's input I've been watching since this thread started. I had to reach out to Dave to get some help on resetting my password, yeah, I know, not too hard.
So finally we have a board for guys over 6' and guys under 6' can ride the big boards as well. They are selling well, which I was honestly a little concerned that people would be more hesitant to give it a try since it would seem like such a big change. I've been putting people on the 150, even under 6 footers, and not telling them what size it is. They love the ride and after their set I ask them what size they think it is. Most people think it's in the low 40's, I tell them what it really is and then they go buy one. Buffalow, so awesome that you are getting some time on one. Love it!
Sorry been a long time since I've been on here. Dad of 3, busy. Older 2 girls are really getting into riding more. Might even be riding in the Gravel Tour in a couple weeks. I'll do my best to not be an intense wake dad. Word on the street is Kian Shapiro and Marek Malinoski are competing so that should be a fun thing to watch. Darrin and Rusty that is But for real, those boys are killing it and Marek just started riding. You should see Kian on rails. I digress.
Super pumped on my shape this year, especially since I get to share it w so many different sized riders. 120 for groms, 134, 139 my size, 144, and 150! Enjoy your ride
Shaun
Old     (Wssboard18)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-11-2016, 11:53 AM Reply   
I have a 2012 142 Murray right now. Would you recommend the 144 or 150? I am 6ft 205lbs. I wouldn't mind a little less drag in the water. Would the 144 be enough of an upgrade or go with the 150? I don't do any inverts, just 180's and 360's.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2016, 11:09 AM Reply   
Hey Shaun, mad props to you still killing it and pushing the sport as you always do.

Another couple of sets on the 150 the weekend. I am finding the kick/pop on the board is very predictable and solid. I now just need to figure out the speed and I tend to be pretty aggressive and than translates to too much line tension and overall speed at the moment. I am going to slow the boat down some more to help control it a bit I think. The board has little to no drag some how which is great for a guy my size.

So far this is my favorite board I have rode in many years.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-14-2016, 1:21 PM Reply   
Chris, I'd say the 150 for a few reasons. Your height, weight and riding level and more than anything, for something different. And I really think you'll like the different. Looking forward to hearing about your ride.
Buffalow, you've always charged it! I'm riding 78ish feet, 23.1 mph on the G23 and currently on the 139. I'm 5'6", 150 lbs. I'm probably going to cruise the 144 a little here and there.
Enjoy your ride
Shaun
Old     (Ryan3110)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-25-2016, 6:25 PM Reply   
So my girl friend just bought me the 150 for my birthday. Hopefully it will be here before friday. I'm stoked to finally get to ride a board big enough to fit me. I'm 6'5 220. Thank you Mr. Murray for thinking about us big fellas. I will give an update on how it rides next week!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2016, 7:40 AM Reply   
Ryan - You will love it. I have been on it all season and pushing my riding harder than in the last 10 years. With the added length I am able to charge a little harder and land tricks that I would normally have gone out the front on. I have already got a few of my inverts back that I lost over the last few years. Super stoked to be trying tricks again a 47 years old and not the typical wakeboarder size.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-26-2016, 1:57 PM Reply   
I'm still riding a '13 Murray 142. It has treated me very well and I've had no reason to upgrade other than wanting to try something a little bigger. I'm 6'1", 195lbs so the 150 is going to be the direction I go. I've actually been debating between the 150 and a 146 time bomb, but prefer to stick with this shape.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-26-2016, 11:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun_murray View Post
Long time no chat everyone! Really great to hear everyone's input I've been watching since this thread started. I had to reach out to Dave to get some help on resetting my password, yeah, I know, not too hard.
So finally we have a board for guys over 6' and guys under 6' can ride the big boards as well. They are selling well, which I was honestly a little concerned that people would be more hesitant to give it a try since it would seem like such a big change. I've been putting people on the 150, even under 6 footers, and not telling them what size it is. They love the ride and after their set I ask them what size they think it is. Most people think it's in the low 40's, I tell them what it really is and then they go buy one. Buffalow, so awesome that you are getting some time on one. Love it!
Sorry been a long time since I've been on here. Dad of 3, busy. Older 2 girls are really getting into riding more. Might even be riding in the Gravel Tour in a couple weeks. I'll do my best to not be an intense wake dad. Word on the street is Kian Shapiro and Marek Malinoski are competing so that should be a fun thing to watch. Darrin and Rusty that is But for real, those boys are killing it and Marek just started riding. You should see Kian on rails. I digress.
Super pumped on my shape this year, especially since I get to share it w so many different sized riders. 120 for groms, 134, 139 my size, 144, and 150! Enjoy your ride
Shaun
Shaun, really great to have you posting in here and following the thread. You and the guys @ HL really hit it out of the park with this board and all the different sizes, so glad to see that so many people are trying it and really enjoying it!
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-29-2016, 11:48 AM Reply   
Has anyone been able to find a 150 in stock online? I should have scooped one up sooner...
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       08-04-2016, 5:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
I had all but quit boarding other than just a few quick cruises because Im #1 45 and # 2 now at about 240lbs and as Jason states my 140's just seem to drag (killing my back and arms) and I don't want to go over 24 mph. Maybe ill try to find a 150 or so might make this fun again. I had started trying to surf more(kinda boring) and got a chair (really fun but quite a different animal lol). Reading this thread has given me hope.

I am 43 and weight in around 225 and love my Murray 150. Hands down the best board I have strapped to my feet.
Old     (Ryan3110)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2016, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayManAR View Post
Has anyone been able to find a 150 in stock online? I should have scooped one up sooner...
I couldn't find any online. Ambush boardshop had 2 in store. I have one of them. Give them a call. Ambush is the store for Buywake.
Old     (Ryan3110)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
Ok, im 37, 6'5 220. I absolutely love this board. I was finally able to find a 150 in store at Ambush here in Kennesaw GA. First impression, "so this is what it feels like for normal sized people to wakeboard!!!" I don't feel like I'm towering over this board. It's stable and glides well at lower speeds ( I slowed my boat back to 22) This board pops consistently for me. One of the problems I've always had was inconsistent pop. I always felt that because I'm so tall that if my body position wasn't perfect up the wake I could get pulled over the front or miss the pop all together. This board just feels easy and comfortable. Literally my first ride on this board was the best riding of my life. Ollie's felt great. I had more tail to push in the water. I'm currently riding behind my 09 Vride, rope is 65ft at 22 mph. Murray 150 with 2014 RAD Bindings!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
Fitz! Sup Bro. Me too on this board - My favorite of all time. I have not even broke one yet this summer which is amazing! I am working on tricks that i have not done for 3-5 years and really enjoying wakeboarding more now than in last few years.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-24-2016, 7:26 AM Reply   
Man! Really awesome to hear such great responses from everyone. Means a lot that you not only took the time to try out the board, but to write about it. So thanks for your time all around. It really brings back a fun feeling to riding whether on the water doing surface stuff or in the air. Enjoy your ride my friends!
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-30-2016, 6:52 PM Reply   
5'11" 180. I have been riding a Parks 130-something. Must have been way too small for me. After reading this thread I bought a Murray 145 from Evo and took my first set yesterday afternoon. Night and day difference, I was soaring compared to before. Even in the nasty chop I was able to pull high W2W jumps with hang time I hadn't experienced before. Thanks for the thread!
Old     (DirkP)      Join Date: Mar 2017       03-30-2017, 9:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I don't have anywhere to demo or try out a board before so looking for a few options here. @ 5'8 195-200lbs and trying to decide between the 145 vs the 150. Is there such thing as "too big" and reason one would want to go with the 145 at my size? Or bigger is better and hit the 150? Thanks
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       03-31-2017, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonicmi View Post
Unless using speed to adjust a smaller board will provide less pop simply due to surface area and physics, but yes it is lighter and more maneuverable so it's a trade off.
For bigger guys, the speed becomes an issue in order to compensate for not having enough surface area. For me riding a 142 at 26mph is approx the same in terms of physics as me riding 150 at 22/23 mph (depending on the boards surface area). depending on how firm one likes the water underneath them, there are only 3 ways to adjust: weight, surface area and speed. I'd have do work out the math but at some point without enough surface area and/or speed to compensate for weight, a lot of pressure will be put on your arms and the board will actually become unstable underneath you due to the downward pressure, kinda like trying to submerge a buoy underwater, it will want to slip to the side to ride back up to the surface. If you usually ride at 23 for example, take the same setup out and try to ride at 17/18 mph. Sure it's great for cruising but big air and tech tricks will be super difficult. Sorry for the rant but hope that clarifies.
Interesting point about speed and board size. I am an older guy so I usually run slower 19-21. I'm 155 and ride a 138 so curious if 138 is more for the hard charging younger 155 lb guy who rides at 22-24 and I should consider trying a 142ish board??
Old     (Alby)      Join Date: Oct 2017       10-19-2017, 12:32 PM Reply   
Trying to find out some useful wakeboard size charts, I've just landed on this very interesting forum, so here my question if somebody's still following it:
I'm 5'8" - 165 lbs and riding a SM Bio 2013 137, currently on MC X2, 75' 23mph. Don't do spins but love big air W2W grabs and basic inverts.
My first board was a Hyperlite Belmont 134 back in 2001 and ever since I've always rode H/L SM models (at that time was 150 lbs).
This year had a go on H/L SM 2017, 139 and...WOW...awesome! Great pop, soft landings especially into flats and really easy to control even on choppy water (@shaun_murray: great shape again, top).
Will defenetly buy the 2018 H/L SM as the shape is the same of the 2017...but: 139 or 144???
Could the 144 be an option as I don't do spins???
Thanks in advance for any opinion or advice, brads to all Alby.
PS: here a very interesting wakeboard size chart link (rider weight and height):
https://humanoidwake.com/choosing-be...weight-factor/
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-19-2017, 12:46 PM Reply   
I don't really think a 144 would hold you back on doing spins either way. A lot of guys are riding surprisingly larger boards these days. It comes down to personal preference, but I'd say go for it.
Old     (Alby)      Join Date: Oct 2017       10-19-2017, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I don't really think a 144 would hold you back on doing spins either way. A lot of guys are riding surprisingly larger boards these days. It comes down to personal preference, but I'd say go for it.
Wow that was quick...
Ref. spins, well I do W2W 180s but...I don't call them "spins"; 360s and above yes, but...I just don't like them.
I would love to try the 144 but not easy to find one..especially among my wakeboard friends.
Anyway, thanks for your advice, see what comes next.
Bye 4 now, rgds Alby
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2017, 2:54 PM Reply   
I would say go with the 144 as well. I know plenty ty of guys your size that ride 144, 146 or even the new 150's. The reality is the swing weights are so low now that it should not stop you. Let's say you are getting to 7's/9's, than maybe.
Old     (Alby)      Join Date: Oct 2017       10-19-2017, 3:53 PM Reply   
+ 2 on the 144 ��
Thanks Jason for you tips!
PS: since I found this blog, I've been reading a lot on different forums and I'm aware of the many advantages with bigger boards but I would be moving up from a 137 to a 144 without a try (did have a go with the 139 instead and found it great).

Last edited by Alby; 10-19-2017 at 4:01 PM.
Old     (Paulvette01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-20-2017, 5:26 AM Reply   
I'm just looking at a new board for next season, looking for softer landings.... I am 6'1" and 215lbs, wakeboard every weekend and hit the gym 6 days a week (just weights), I've been riding 142 Timebombs for the past 6 years, love the board, surf feel, pop etc and did have an 09 X-Star.

problem is I've had a back issue this summer, perhaps slightly squashed disc that led to muscle spasm and then sciatica, took months to get over it but now back on track, hoping after taking the winter off and continued training and adding in Pilates I don't have to give up wakeording, I have a 2018 Malibu MXZ on tap that surfs incase all else fails.

My level is landing most 180s, occasionally 360s, working on backrolls, usual height for me is around 6ft under the board. Going forward and wary of a potential re-occurring back problem could a 150 board really keep me riding (potential physical injury aside) ie I still want to be able to progress but want to keep riding fun for me - bottom line is I don't want this to be the end of the road for wakeboarding, i'm looking for a board that will be more leanient toward less injury for me just wary of 150 feeling clumbsy under my feet.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-20-2017, 8:18 AM Reply   
I am 5-9 175 and I ride a William 145. I just came off of a 140.

Basically, everyone I ride with has a William or Bill. We all sized up this year. Both of the ladies in our crew were riding 135 Bills. They just switched to 140s and it made an instant difference.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-20-2017, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvette01 View Post
I'm just looking at a new board for next season, looking for softer landings.... I am 6'1" and 215lbs, wakeboard every weekend and hit the gym 6 days a week (just weights), I've been riding 142 Timebombs for the past 6 years, love the board, surf feel, pop etc and did have an 09 X-Star.

problem is I've had a back issue this summer, perhaps slightly squashed disc that led to muscle spasm and then sciatica, took months to get over it but now back on track, hoping after taking the winter off and continued training and adding in Pilates I don't have to give up wakeording, I have a 2018 Malibu MXZ on tap that surfs incase all else fails.

My level is landing most 180s, occasionally 360s, working on backrolls, usual height for me is around 6ft under the board. Going forward and wary of a potential re-occurring back problem could a 150 board really keep me riding (potential physical injury aside) ie I still want to be able to progress but want to keep riding fun for me - bottom line is I don't want this to be the end of the road for wakeboarding, i'm looking for a board that will be more leanient toward less injury for me just wary of 150 feeling clumbsy under my feet.
There is no smoking gun that will erase your injury. If you DO feel good enough to wakeboard, then a larger board and a focus on landing wake-to-wake (which minimizes impact) might help prevent future recurrence. Overall, though, wake boarding is tough on the back. Even just holding your body upright and riding the board puts a minor strain on your back muscles.
Old     (Berg07)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-07-2018, 1:23 PM Reply   
So I recently got back into wakeboarding last summer and will be purchasing a new board and bindings soon to replace my 20 year old liquid force SuperFly 44 board. It's length is 144 with the old school original foam bindings that ripped. We also purchased a new boat for this season a 2017 Supra coming from a 1997 sport nautique. I'm 6'3'' and 180lbs.

Not sure how to rate my skill level. I'm comfortable on the board cutting, can clear the wake from time to time, and do some surface spins. Would like to up my game a bit this summer and master some 180/360 spins along with bigger air, maybe some other tricks. Been leaning towards the Murray either 144 or 150. Open to other boards or recommendations as well. Thoughts on either the 144 vs 150 Murray? Any other board suggestions?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-07-2018, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg07 View Post
So I recently got back into wakeboarding last summer and will be purchasing a new board and bindings soon to replace my 20 year old liquid force SuperFly 44 board. It's length is 144 with the old school original foam bindings that ripped. We also purchased a new boat for this season a 2017 Supra coming from a 1997 sport nautique. I'm 6'3'' and 180lbs.

Not sure how to rate my skill level. I'm comfortable on the board cutting, can clear the wake from time to time, and do some surface spins. Would like to up my game a bit this summer and master some 180/360 spins along with bigger air, maybe some other tricks. Been leaning towards the Murray either 144 or 150. Open to other boards or recommendations as well. Thoughts on either the 144 vs 150 Murray? Any other board suggestions?
Your height says 150, your weight says 144. You could easily ride both well. My policy is that when I am between sizes, I go up.
Old     (Berg07)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-07-2018, 7:18 PM Reply   
Thanks. Looking at some 2017 closeout Murray's now. Any major advantage of the 2017 Hyperlite Team OT binding over the Focus to go with that board?
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       03-15-2018, 2:59 PM Reply   
Go with the Team boot Berg07, we add more internal components on that one for responsiveness, either way let us know what you decide on and how the ride goes. Cheers, Nelson
Old     (tylergold)      Join Date: May 2018       05-07-2018, 4:27 AM Reply   
Hi Alby? did you end up with the 139? still enjoying it?

I am a similar height and weight to you (5"8, 163lbs). Leaning towards a 144 but the only size left in stock in Aus is a 139. Looked at the surface area of that size and it is similar to a 142 in other brands. Will the 139 be suitable for my weight? (hoping to get down to 160lbs LT) or must i wait for a 144 / pay a higher price on the new models.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       05-07-2018, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'm 5'11" and 175. I have the 144 and am liking it. Came off a 139 Ronix Code 22.
Old     (tylergold)      Join Date: May 2018       05-10-2018, 1:40 PM Reply   
Good to hear the 144 is working for you, although you are 12 lbs heavier than me so maybe the 139 will be alright
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       05-16-2018, 11:34 AM Reply   
Yeah, I think the 139 would work well for you.

Question for everyone in this thread, has anyone tried other fin sizes with any luck? I'm considering going slightly bigger, but wanted to hear feedback?
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       05-16-2018, 12:30 PM Reply   
Lounger - I would size up on this deck, it was designed that way, Murray never rode a 139 he was always on slightly smaller boards and he routinely rider the 144 and has a blast. I think you'll enjoy the next size up! -Greg Nelson
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-16-2018, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
Yeah, I think the 139 would work well for you.

Question for everyone in this thread, has anyone tried other fin sizes with any luck? I'm considering going slightly bigger, but wanted to hear feedback?
I started riding the Murray in 16 when he came out with the 20th anniversary board now I'm on the 18, I've ridden many boards in my 16 yrs of wakeboarding and can say this is my favorite off all time. I do agree the .8s felt a little to lose so I tried 1" and it was a bit to much so I ended up running BP .8s. The height of a .8 and length of a 1". I've been running this set up for almost 3yrs and absolutely love it. Oh yeah....listen to Greg and size up. I've been rockin the 144 with no regrats🤣
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       05-16-2018, 6:26 PM Reply   
I took your auggestion on fin siE. It might be blasphemy but I just put some .8 Ronix free agent fins I had around on to try next time out
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-16-2018, 6:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
I took your auggestion on fin siE. It might be blasphemy but I just put some .8 Ronix free agent fins I had around on to try next time out
Haha, I did the same thing until my buddy gave me 4 BP fins. He had a few laying around since he's broke every BP board he's ridden
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2018, 9:03 AM Reply   
I went with a 150 and felt it was just a hair too big. Anyone want to buy a 150? I have the option of returning it for half, but wanted to see if anyone was interested in purchasing it from me for cheap. Shoot me a PM. I have both .8 and 1.0 fins.

I normally ride big boards (cwb groove 145) for big pop soft landings, but I wasn't a fan of the extra length. Although I did like this board better with the 1.0 fins. It kept the board tracking up the wake if you wanted to hit it a little flat to reduce line tension. Otherwise I felt like the board slipped a little with the .8 and the extra surface area.

Name:  IMG_1497.jpg
Views: 3214
Size:  140.4 KB
Old     (Gtvrb)      Join Date: Oct 2016       06-02-2018, 5:38 PM Reply   
Where are you located? I might be interested in the Murray.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-04-2018, 3:15 PM Reply   
Los Angeles area. I can ship it.
Old     (Gtvrb)      Join Date: Oct 2016       06-06-2018, 3:39 PM Reply   
I am in WA. 98008. How much you want?
gtvrb@yahoo.com if you want to email me.
Thanks
Robert
Old     (Gtvrb)      Join Date: Oct 2016       06-30-2018, 4:01 PM Reply   
Rode it once. Felt pretty good. I am coming off an injury so just rode behind the boat a bit. Didn't have it set up quite right binding wise and the fins were way too big. Once I get it sorted I will post up a review.
Old     (dlowry81)      Join Date: Jul 2018       07-09-2018, 1:20 PM Reply   
My 144 should be arriving this week. I also ordered some 1" fins and some leftover 2015 Ronix One boots. Can't wait to try the new setup out this week.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-09-2018, 10:00 PM Reply   
Sounds like a fun setup. Almost the same as mine, save Ronix One model year.
Old     (dlowry81)      Join Date: Jul 2018       07-11-2018, 7:43 AM Reply   
So board arrived last night and as I'm sliding it out of the box I get fiberglass in my hands. It's too small to see so pics don't show it, but if you grab the board you can feel it on the edges. I haven't bought a new board in years. Is this typical?
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-12-2018, 9:01 AM Reply   
My 2017 Murray didn't have that problem. Smooth all around.
Old     (Gtvrb)      Join Date: Oct 2016       07-14-2018, 8:04 PM Reply   
Mine was fine as well. The board is super planted with the 1 inch fins. I like a loose board. If you like it loose you won't like the 1inch