Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-09-2017, 1:26 PM Reply   
Looking to finally spend the cash and get a legit board. Been riding the burley buzz for a while and I think I got all I can out of it. Any thoughts on these boards?
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-09-2017, 4:18 PM Reply   
My older board was a phase five danielo (diamond). Really liked it And had it at least 5years. it's a really soft board and lightweighted. Never tried the matrix.
I upgraded with a Victoria factor PCX and prefer it.
And I kind of like to support Local made brand like Soulcraft, Victoria and chaos.
They are passionate ones.

Last edited by Mike88; 07-09-2017 at 4:20 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-09-2017, 5:45 PM Reply   
I don't have many local shops to support. I've looked into those other ones but know phase 5 diamond was one you couldn't go wrong with.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-09-2017, 7:14 PM Reply   
If you spend the extra money on a hand made board like soulcraft or chaos you won't be sorry.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2017, 7:31 PM Reply   
Phase 5 is hand built in Florida. They build top of the line skimboards. Phase 5, Victoria, and Exile build the best true skim style boards available.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-10-2017, 5:22 AM Reply   
So here is my thoughts. I would stay away from Phase 5. I don't think they are hand built plus they have terrible customer service. I bought one, and first time in the water the traction pad floated off, another time I fell and my head hit the bottom of the bottom and cracked it. When I contacted phase 5 they said they had a huge batch went out that had problems. To me that's not hand made but mass production. They told me they would resend a traction pad out with the material to put it on. Well still waiting for her, been over a year, still haven't gotten it. I would agree with Ian, spend the money on a GREAT board. I built my own after that experience with phase 5, but then I got to try a CHAOS board, and IT WAS amazing. Its what I ride 98% of time, the rest my boards I made. My friends love the boards I made. But Also CHAOS is top, Bryce from 1of1 customs inland surfer is great, and from what I hear doomswell aint to shabby. I never ridden one though so I cant say my opinion on em, though at the dealership they look nice! IMO spend the money from these guys who don't do this in mass production but do this because they love the sport and love what they do. I know CHAOS and Bryce do everything themselves. They don't do mass quantities. Plus they are very knowledgeable about getting you the board for your wake and built for you. So base on my experience, customer service the only way I would take a phase 5 is if no other board was on the board.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-10-2017, 6:40 AM Reply   
Several riders on our boat ride the Phase 5 Diamond. They all love it.

Actually, long story but we have a 57" Phase 5 Diamond limited. Its too big for anyone on our boat so I need to put it up for sale. Its in like new condition.

I ride the 51" and we have smaller riders that ride the 48".
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2017, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
Several riders on our boat ride the Phase 5 Diamond. They all love it.

Actually, long story but we have a 57" Phase 5 Diamond limited. Its too big for anyone on our boat so I need to put it up for sale. Its in like new condition.

I ride the 51" and we have smaller riders that ride the 48".
Steve, Sent you a PM
Old     (BoardCo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2017, 8:31 AM Reply   
Ok let's hammer out a couple things.

1. Phase 5 is definitely hand built in Venice, FL - you can go to the factory and watch them lay up boards by hand.

2. Go to any surf comp and just look at what people are riding. You will see more Phase 5 boards in the skim divisions than any other boards - possibly more than all others combined.

3. We sell A LOT of Phase 5 boards. We have NEVER, I repeat NEVER warrantied a Phase 5 skim board.

4. Phase 5 boards are top notch. We sell a lot of great board brands and Phase 5 is as good as it gets. You wouldn't be disappointed with the Diamond, Matrix or Hammerhead. There are minor differences between the boards but most people will love all 3 of them. If you go with one of these boards you will not be disappointed.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-10-2017, 10:20 AM Reply   
You will find these 2 boards different than the Buzz. I say two boards, because the DD diamond and ltd are the same boards, different build materials, that are mostly aesthetics. The Ltd uses aluminized fiberglass as the base instead of carbon fiber, with a fabric net and carbon tape. In theory, the LTD should be a little more flexible, springier, than the straight carbon fiber lay up, and in generally probably a touch heavier, ATCE.

The matrix is going to be more similar to the buzz in some aspects, but it is much more skimmy than the buzz. The matrix is a very thin board, with a fairly traditional skim shape, with some bottom contours to aid in riding behind the boat. The matrix is going to be the lightest of these 3 models.
All 3 will dig a rail better than the buzz. The buzz is a molded board with soft rails and much more rocker than these P5 boards.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-10-2017, 10:21 AM Reply   
I apologize if I hit a cord, but like I said all that is my opinion. With terrible customer service I wouldn't waste my time there again, plus I found their boards didn't work as well as others I tried and when I got told the reasoning why, it would have been nice up front if they said that instead of saying it will work then after words saying o those factors matter after all. So to me base on the customer service experience I had and the board malfunctions I stated my opinion.

I get it they sell well, but they are over priced probably for what they are. I compare it to buying those yeti cups, so long as people keep buying the average yeti cup at high dollar they will sell, me I buy mine from a guy who hand paints his and does all that and it stills cheaper then yeti and looks way better. At the core its an OZARk cup but its the personal touch on it. Same thing with the boards, though a lot of the boards all have markofoam its the personal touch after that makes me pick the board now. When I meet people on the lake I stir them clear of buying stuff like phase 5 or using sites that don't back their products. Just IMO. Please day1 Bryce, nick chaos, and even doomswell they all give helping hands to people who are DUMB like me and try to build our own. They are in this because of the love of the sport is what I got from them. All im saying.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-10-2017, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
Steve, Sent you a PM
Didn't see any pm so sent you one. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2017, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
Didn't see any pm so sent you one. Let me know if you have any questions.
Sorry, I tried again. Might be because I'm using Tapatalk too.
Old     (ashjbrown)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2017, 12:50 PM Reply   
I have a 2016 phase 5 matrix 53 inch for sale if you are interested
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2017, 12:52 PM Reply   
I work for Victoria which competes directly with Phase 5, and I can say that Phase 5 builds amazing boards. Their lower end boards are compression molded, but all their limited and carbon boards are hand built and vacuum bagged.

Tex Haines started Victoria in 1976 and Bob Smetts started Zap (phase 5 is their wake division) in the 1980s. Both guys still own and run their companies and continue to do it the best and right way. Those guys pretty much pioneered skimboarding on their respective coasts and continue to push development in wakesurfing as well
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2017, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
I work for Victoria which competes directly with Phase 5, and I can say that Phase 5 builds amazing boards. Their lower end boards are compression molded, but all their limited and carbon boards are hand built and vacuum bagged.

Tex Haines started Victoria in 1976 and Bob Smetts started Zap (phase 5 is their wake division) in the 1980s. Both guys still own and run their companies and continue to do it the best and right way. Those guys pretty much pioneered skimboarding on their respective coasts and continue to push development in wakesurfing as well
Thanks for the incite
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2017, 7:27 AM Reply   
Bought the diamond. Thanks guys