Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-27-2017, 2:12 PM Reply   
Hey Guys!

Looking for a board recommendation. I'm 6' 185 lbs and surf (in the ocean) 4+ days a week. I'm looking for a board that will be fun to ride and practice spins, airs etc behind my boat.
My boat set-up is a 09 X Star with pro-tour ballast and a Mission delta wake shaper. The wake shape is okay.

I have a 4'7" Hyperlite Shim and an old Hyperlite broadcast.

Do you have any recommendations for really fun boards for bigger guys?

Thanks!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-27-2017, 7:32 PM Reply   
There are lots of great custom boards out there I have not tried. Hear Chaos and Soulcraft are among some of the best...I didn't have the coin at the time to get one and am always nervous to spend money like that when i cannot demo first.
I ended up getting a 4' 8" Doomswell Neo (I am 5ft 10" and 205lbs)....love that board, super buoyant and fast, I just run the 2 larger fins.. (fyi....It is really thick and will only fit in surf rack that is at least 3"...I had to get a custom rack). I have also ridden a buddies Byerly Hazard in 4' 8" and really enjoy it...not quite as thick, its between the Doomswell and a skim style on thickness) but is very agile and fast. May be my favorite board to date but was only able to ride it that one day that friend brought it on boat a few weeks ago, actually going out with him again tomorrow and plan to ride it again. Both are easy to air and work well. At your weight, especially with your experience, I would think you would want 4' 6"....but you can also call them and get their recommendations. You can find boards on their website that are "blemish" for like $400...compared to the msrp of $675. I also have a Liquid Force skim style that I enjoy from time to time and keep on boat as a guest board....not an advanced board, fun to spin around tho.
Again, lots of great boards out there tho. Those are the ones I have experience with and can personally recommend being an intermediate surfer.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-27-2017, 7:39 PM Reply   
I can speak for soulcraft. The voodoo is a a-one surf style board. Lightning fast and maneuverable. Costs more but worth every penny.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       06-28-2017, 5:51 AM Reply   
Here is my two cents, First cent- your not a big boy, so don't look for a big boy board. You are tiny, big boy board is 280 and up. If you want big boy, you need to go Chaos, its incredible. 2nd cent- for smaller riders like yourself you can ride any board you really want. There is a plethora of options. After owning a few and trying different boards from friends. I stick to like the guy above me said the companies that make them for you in mind. Which would be chaos, inland surfer custom division, doomswell. I couldn't ride a doomswell the one day I went to the dealership here they didn't have a board for a big guy. But the boards looked amazing. I love my chaos, and I also love using my ocean long board behind the boat. Now that long board aint fast from the ocean but its still fun to put 2-3 people on it. I would listen to D above, and spend the money on a good board, it has been the best thing ive done this summer. Went from a hyperlite, ocean board, and phase 5 to Chaos and love it. If you feel very creative, make your own. I made 4, my friends enjoy them, but still not as good as doomswell, chaos, inland surfer.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2017, 9:31 AM Reply   
Tommy.

Check out the Team Pro. It is everything you want and more. Multiple professional world championships, copied all over the world.
http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboard...-carbonflexpro

Nick
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-28-2017, 10:09 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! A lot of great info here. I will check them all out.
Old     (Paulvette01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-30-2017, 5:10 AM Reply   
I also ride an 09 X-Star with a home made surf gate and from a surfing background so have been looking for a 'surf' style board for a while (6'1" tall and 215lbs). I have been riding a 4'7" shred stixx but in shallow water not great behind the X-Star but works well behind newer 'surf' boats. I have a hyperlite shim which is way more skim than it is surf, works behind the boat but far from surf style. I just tried a Liquid Force POD in 4'7 this weekend and BINGO, super fast compared to shred stixx and loose, from a more surf background this lights my fire in every way. To date the fastest, most response, most manouverable board I have ridden, really easy to break the fins loose - strangely would never have looked at an LF board for surfing before now, its just somebody had one on the weekend and I was blown away so bought one 2 days later - it was that good, if you can demo it take a look for sure.