Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (vade2ne)      Join Date: May 2017       05-30-2017, 11:50 PM Reply   
Hi Guys, I’m Franck from France, is there any rider who wakesurfing behind a Malibu Sportster ?
I tried many time, but even with 4 friends on behind, the wave stays too small.
I really don’t know if adding a Wedge or Surf-Gate will help me.
Thanks guys for ideas …
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-31-2017, 6:48 AM Reply   
Hi Franck in France!
thats gonna be a tough one. VERY low freeboard and a flat hull. know anybody with a fat sac or two? put one on the surf side along side the engine put another in the walkway if you have it.

gates are cheap enough at this point and will help for sure.
Old     (vade2ne)      Join Date: May 2017       05-31-2017, 6:52 AM Reply   
Hi Nacho,
Thanks' I'm going to try a gate before buying an expensive "Wedge". I don't want to change my boat because of barefooting use ... Wakesurfing is a way for "relax" ride between Hydrofoil or barefoot session.

Last edited by vade2ne; 05-31-2017 at 6:55 AM.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-31-2017, 8:21 AM Reply   
Don't bother with the wedge. My buddy had a Sportster with a wedge and with 4 adults and 4 children and the wedge it was still impossible to surf. It's just not a surf boat. Love that slalom wake though. Damn that thing was nice!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2017, 8:30 AM Reply   
Absolutely possible. My dad used to longboard behind his 16ft outboard in the early 70s. Find a cheap "fun shape" in the 7ft range and you will have a lot of fun. Throw in a little weight and maybe an aftermarket shaper and boom.
Old     (vade2ne)      Join Date: May 2017       05-31-2017, 1:08 PM Reply   
Hi Fence, that's the information I hoped to get from this forum... Bad news for me, but interesting to know.
Old     (vade2ne)      Join Date: May 2017       05-31-2017, 1:13 PM Reply   
Justin, I have a Retrofish Surf, but no longboard ... I will try with a DIY wakeshaper to test before buying a nice model. Thanks'
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-31-2017, 1:59 PM Reply   
gotta have some weight in there bud. you can also pull the plug for a minute then put it back in!

what size board? shortest ones are 6'ish so you should be close
Old     (vade2ne)      Join Date: May 2017       05-31-2017, 2:22 PM Reply   
a 6.2" retrofish from Oxbow, exactly this one :
http://ujusansa.si/wp-content/upload...8_fish_6-2.jpg

I also have a 6.2" E-comp by Bic:
http://www.privatesportshop.fr/marqu...-bic-surf.html

( Sorry for my bad english , but I don't clearly understand: "you can also pull the plug for a minute then put it back in!" ... maybe technical terms. )
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-01-2017, 10:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Absolutely possible. My dad used to longboard behind his 16ft outboard in the early 70s. Find a cheap "fun shape" in the 7ft range and you will have a lot of fun. Throw in a little weight and maybe an aftermarket shaper and boom.
That's a great point. I should know better. I learned to wakesurf behind my Ddrive with no ballast on a 8'10" Bear Mini-Tank back in '03. It can absolutely be done. I still wouldn't bother putting a wedge on a Sportster though. Maybe get a FatSeat and a sucgate.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 11:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by vade2ne View Post

( Sorry for my bad english , but I don't clearly understand: "you can also pull the plug for a minute then put it back in!" ... maybe technical terms. )
I think you would call it a bung. just putting water in the boat for weight...
Old     (vade2ne)      Join Date: May 2017       06-01-2017, 1:24 PM Reply   
Waaaaa, I anderstand now ... I prefer to wait for a fatsac, instead of pull the plug )))).
I will ask friends in bord for the weight + surfgate + Retrofish 6.2" to test the sportster... In case of I'll fail ... Iwill stay unfortunately with my Skyski.

One special thanks to all of you guys : NICE FORUM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Waaaaa, I anderstand now ... I prefer to wait for a fatsac, instead of pull the plug )))).
I will ask friends in bord for the weight + surfgate + Retrofish 6.2" to test the sportster... In case of I'll fail ... Iwill stay unfortunately with my Skyski.

One special thanks to all of you guys : NICE FORUM.
LOL. just messing with ya. Welcome to WW. good luck with it!
Old     (vade2ne)      Join Date: May 2017       06-06-2017, 1:15 PM Reply   
Hi Guys,
I made my rough and dirty "shaper" this WE, and I failed !
Definitively, the Sporster from Malibu is not a boat for wakesurfing...

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/19/11/99/19/nouvea10.jpg

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/19/11/99/19/sam_1210.jpg

No Curl, no wave ! test from 10 to 14 mph. I let you this Fun ride.
Old     (trevorjmorgan)      Join Date: May 2017       06-09-2017, 2:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hi Guys,
I made my rough and dirty "shaper" this WE, and I failed !
Definitively, the Sporster from Malibu is not a boat for wakesurfing...

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/19/11/99/19/nouvea10.jpg

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/19/11/99/19/sam_1210.jpg

No Curl, no wave ! test from 10 to 14 mph. I let you this Fun ride.
Looks to me like your shaper is working, just need weight/displacement. Imo with that flat bottom of a boat you may do better listing some even with the shaper.