Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
I'm looking to get one for the kids. Does anyone have any suggestions? Round vs Rectangular? Size? Where to buy?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-23-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
I've purchased 3 of the round ones over the past 10 years. UV damage to the mats and threads along with wear and tear from lots of use by the kids.

Another cost issue is your homeowners insurance. I had to fence in my yard to avoid having my insurance cancelled.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-23-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Byrd, check Wal-Mart. That's where I got mine from and it was about a $100 or so. It has GREAT bounce, I've been on a few and you spend all your energy trying to get a good bounce on it. I don't remember what the name brand is, but some are really hard to get a good bounce. Mine is a 14' round.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Mel and George.

Mel, Does it have springs or rubber straps? Also, I'm 160 lbs, I assume it should be ok for me as well?

(Message edited by byrd on October 23, 2006)

(Message edited by byrd on October 23, 2006)
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-23-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
It has springs

Yea, you'll be fine. I had a 200lb guy jumping on it. It's just hard to know which has the good bounce.

(Message edited by melanie_g on October 23, 2006)
Old    ace5693            10-23-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
i have one that i have had since i was six so like 7 years ive had it no problems with it, i just recomend getting a net if kids are gunna be using it because falling offa tramp hurts like crazy. also my uncle whos a whoping 259 punds jumped on mine while 3 other people and myself were on it so youre gunna be fine with weight
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
Rectangular have waaaaaaaaay more bounce than round ones. Compare them both and you will see. If you just want something for the kids to bounce on then get the $150 one from a garage sale or something. If you want something that is smooth and fun to jump on you are going to have to get a rectangular one. A good one is going to cost you though. We bought one a couple of years ago and it ended up about $1600 or so for the tramp and the net. It is a good investment though. I grew up on one and jumped on that sucker 4-5 days a week until I left for college. My kids play on ours almost every single day.

You will want a 14'x7' mat area (at least). The goal is to dilute the kids so they don't bang into eachother as much. Go with the longer 9" steel springs as well. The longer the springs the smoother the bounce. Don't skimp on the net either. The vast majority of serious trampoline accidents are from falling off. I would not even consider a trampoline for kids that did not have a net.

This is the tramp we have http://www.trampolineusa.com/10retrsin.html

It is pretty strong. I can do full layout 1 1/2 back flips on it (I weigh about 230) without it feeling like it is going to fall apart.

Anyways, I love the tramp even though it is a little dangerous. Don't skimp on the net...you will regret it.

Later

Troy
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
i would also recommend a rectangular tramp. Im no gymnast or anything but we bought a circle tramp from walmart and after 1 year like half the springs broke. i dont know what it was but we usually only had 1 person on but bouncing as high as possible. maybe we just got a bad one but it was a 14' circle and it had ok bounce with 6" springs. larger springs are definately way way better.

http://www.1800trampoline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=341

this is the one we use now and its indoors and in ground you can reach up to 20 feet above the tramp on it. upwards of 2000 bucks but our gymnastics gym got it and we use the heck out of it.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-23-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
Hey Bakes - how do you do a 1 1/2 on a trampoline? Do you land on your head?!? lol
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
ha. ew. no, to your back so its actually a 1 and 1/4 technically. unless Bakes really does them to his head in which case thats pretty gnarly and you must have atomantium bones
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-23-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
I recommend you go round, ours is spring free and has a safety net...great for the kids.
Upload
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-23-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
that kids got balls!
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-23-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
Jonny, i'll tell him that....he'll be stoked!
Upload
Upload
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
yep, I was talking about a 1 1/4....we just call them 1 1/2's.

You can do a 1 1/2 back by landing on your stomach, pulling a backflip and then landing on your back instead of your feet. My brother could do them pretty well....don't even think about trying that on a round trampoline.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2006, 4:48 AM Reply   
Byrd man our new house has a tramp you can come over and use it I'll make you a good deal like 10cents a bounce. ha,ha LOL bro
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-24-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
Bevan, can you shoot a pic on the rope attachment on that Tramp? Thanks if you can...

Duffy, I'll just come over one night and take it if you want to be like that, lol...

Friday might be good for me if you want to ride around 3:00. Last week before the time changes....
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
Yea that might work I'll get back to you. It's suppose to warm back up by then.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-26-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Byrd, pics have been sent!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-26-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Rectangular here too. I like it better that any round one I've been on. Plus you can start at either side and simulate coming in toeside or heelside...Bakes, I have that same one also.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on October 26, 2006)
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       10-27-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
http://www.trampolines.com/
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2006, 12:47 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-31-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
Byrd the one in my backyard came from Sams. I think it was around 200 bucks and the net was about 90-100. I just figured the net was cheaper than Dr.bills.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-31-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Cool pic, Bevan. I've never even seen a springless tramp...sounds like a great idea...I guess it has an elastic band around the edge..?
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
David, fibre glass rods held in under pressure, pretty clever idea.
Upload
Old     (rocketdogg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Like most things you get what you pay for.

My parents bought us a trampoline in 1983. My kids are now using it. Most of the original springs, same mat, and we have only replaced the pad 3 times over the years. We bought a net for it about 6 years ago.

I have noticed that our tramp has a thicker gauge of steel for the frame, and the springs are bigger than most out there today. the only thing we have done with it is take the mat and springs off during the winter months over the years (about 4 months out of the year). That seemed to have helped a lot.

Not many people can say their kids are using the same trampoline they had as a kid. Shop around before you buy.

BTW--From what I have read most accidents happen ON the trampoline, NOT by people falling off.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Agree with Rocketdogg on the quality thing. My parents finally got rid of the rectangular trampoline my dad grew up on then we grew up on. It survived about 50+ years outdoors with only a couple of trips to the welder (went through lots of mats though).

Anyways, I pulled an abstract (I figured y'all wouldn't read the entire article) from one of the pediatric journals.

Background. Recent reports note a dramatic increase in the number of pediatric trampoline injuries (PTI) during the past several years. In 1996, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that 83 000 patients received treatment for trampoline injuries in US hospital emergency departments (EDs), and that ~75% of these patients were <15 years of age. We sought to review our experience with PTI since our previous report (Pediatrics 1992;89:849), and to determine if the American Academy of Pediatrics' current (Pediatrics 1981;67:438) safety recommendations are adequate.

Methods. Retrospective medical record review of all PTI patients presenting to the pediatric ED from November 1990 through November 1997.

Results. A total of 727 PTI patients were included; medical records were unavailable for 3 patients. The annual number of PTI nearly tripled during the study period, from 51 in 1991 to a peak of 148 in 1996. PTI patients were 53% female, with a median age of 7 years; 37% were <6>/= 3), usually of an extremity (89 out of 111). Fractures occurred in 324 patients (45%). Spinal injuries were common (12%), including 7 patients with cervical or thoracic fractures, and 1 with C7 paraplegia. Fractures were more frequently associated with falls off the trampoline, whereas spinal injuries more frequently occurred on the trampoline. Eighty patients (11%) required prehospital medical transport to our ED, 584 (80%) had ED radiographs, and 382 (53%) required pediatric surgical subspecialty involvement. Seventeen percent of PTI patients (125 out of 727) were admitted to the hospital, including 9 to the pediatric intensive care unit; 99 (14%) required one or more operations. Mean hospital stay was 2 days (range, 1-63 days); 24 stays (19%) were for >/= 3 days. We estimate that the hospital charges for the acute medical care of PTI study patients at our institution totaled ~$700 000.

Conclusions. PTI are dramatically increasing in number, and result in considerable childhood morbidity. Most PTI occur on privately owned trampolines. Few, if any, safety recommendations for the trampoline are followed. We support recommendations for a ban on the recreational, school, and competitive pediatric use of trampolines. Pediatrics 1999;103(5).
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-02-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
Damn Bakes I think Ill stay inside from now on...
Old     (prm)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   
Bevan, Where did you get your springless trampoline from? Looks neat.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-05-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Pete, you can check them out on www.trampolines.co.nz
Old     (trampolinepuss)      Join Date: Dec 2014       11-14-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
For trampoline reviews, I would recommend ProTrampolines.com. Found myself neat trampoline which was on sale - ExacMe 15ft for less than $300, real bargain.