Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-15-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I really want to get into the snow action. Sick of waiting all winter with nothing. Problem being I've been twice and I live in IN.

Decent Midwest Scenes or just get up to MI?

Intermediate board/gear suggestions?

Finding lodging/lift deals?

Newb do's and Dont's

(Message edited by dwday on December 15, 2009)
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-15-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Come to Hidden Valley in STL. It's a decent place and the terrain parks get better each year. Another cool place to check out would be Chestnut Mountain in Galena, IL. Always a good time there.

Board and gear suggestions are all going to be a matter of personal preference. I've got some gear that I need to get rid of, if you interested shoot me an email and I can give you all the details. Good Luck.

www.hiddenvalleyski.com
www.chestnutmtn.com
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-16-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
C.Nut is good.. but check out Devils Head & Tyrol Basin as well.... (some people like Alpine Valley & Sunburst too)

Gear suggestions... depends what type of rider you are (park/freeride) and what size foot you have (need wide board or not)... then we can go from there... I can probably get you some gear if you are interested...

As for finding deals... just keep checking out the sites for the resorts...

do's & don't's.... ONE MAJOR ONE... "Don't be a dick in the park, wait your turn to hit the features, etc..."

Couple sites to check out
snowboard.com
soulriders.com
midwestwakeboarder.com
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-16-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
oh forgot... http://www.meetup.com/windycityboarders/
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-16-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I grew up skiing in IN and MI and ended up sponsored, so it can happen.

Swiss Valley is probably the closest. Some will argue, but I think they are all about the same. Not really worth driving much extra to get to another mole hill, IMHO.
Save your pennies, drive to Midway(MDW) and fly out west. Or just drive the whole way with a bunch of bud's. Salt Lake pretty cheap, but if you have friends you can couch surf with in a ski town, go there!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-16-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
There is definitely etiquette in the park that can make or break the "douche or non-douche" label. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Dont ride over your head (most resorts have multiple parks for different levels). There is nothing worse than Catching the guy in front of you who is rolling over the lips of hits or jumping off the side of the jump (in which case he will probably be timed to enter the next jump face at the same time as you creating confusion).

DONT EVER Sit on a landing or anywhere NEAR an obstacle! I cannot emphasize this enough.

If you want to ride through a park and not do any of the features thats fine...but dont weave in and out of the obstacles, stay to the outside where everyone can clearly tell your not headed towards any obstacle.

If you fall and are not hurt ride out of the way as quickly as you can.

If the park has a drop in ramp dont come hauling ass up to it and slam into everyone's gear.

Dont talk about how great you are but how the conditions arent right, your gear is broken, there are no photogs or its flat light...so you are just going to "take it easy". Just like in wakeboarding if you gotta talk about your riding its because your riding isnt talking for you.

Allow some space between you and the rider in front of you who just went. Its quite annoying to have someone shadowing you as you approach an obstacle. I prefer to use the term "hey mang, you are standing on my nuts" when this happens.

Some guys are really cool too. If you follow the non-douche etiquette and are looking at guinea pigging a new (bigger) jump feel free to ask a local ripper if you can speed check him on the first one (and tell him why). He may let you follow behind while he does a straight air. Or you just follow him until the face when you peel off. Its a a lot better to ask for help with speed than decking it from 10+ feet up.

A personal fav and a perfect example of the webster definition of "Douchebag"...I was called a "princess" by a guy in a ponytail after he cut me off to simply jump off the side of a hit. When he fell into the fat ditch (used to push up the jump) I laughed and he got all butt hurt. I informed him that the landing was another 30ft away and to the left. He proceeded to follow me down the hill telling me what a pretty boy princess I was. He was real tough when it was only me and him and his buddy.

Most IMPORTANTLY...Dont ride over your head...repeat...dont ride over your head! If you want to get good it wont come from being in a cast for half the winter...it takes "saddle time" on the hill.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-16-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
Ohh yah...for some reason snow resorts have become "second halloween" locations where people wear all sorts of crazy Ish. If you are going to try and stick out like a sore thumb you better either: Rip hard, or be funny as hell in the lift line. And by all means, if you are dressed like superman...wearing a cape...you better be able to boot some kickers and FLY.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-16-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
For lower Michigan, we usually go to Bittersweet because it seems to have one of the better parks. If you want to drive a little further north, Crystal Mountain is bigger and has some nice accomodations. No matter where you go in MI, it's gonna be a hill, so you might as well get used to riding in the park IMO.

Riding pow is SO much fun, but unfortunately you will only find that out west. I've been out to Vail, CO and Brighton, UT and it was an absolute blast. But, we got lucky and got absolutely dumped on at Vail, so it made it all that much better.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-16-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
If you have never snowboarded before, take a lesson. You will have more fun and get the basics a lot quicker. I am self taught and the first three days sucked. I have brought new riders up with me and in 1/2 a day they could ride easy runs and stay in control.

Remember.....have fun.
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-17-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
Great stuff guys. Seriously thanks. Probably going to plan a trip after I get cleared from ACL recon.
As for gear. I'm 5'9" 165. Pretty average guy. Ride goofy on everything. So board in the 157 range??
Old     (craigjones)      Join Date: Apr 2009       12-17-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Board height is all personal preference and what style of riding you're into, but a board in the 157 range would be a good place to start. Don't forget you can size down though.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       12-18-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
Bittersweet is defintely a good choice if you are coming from Indiana and it is only another 30 min (give or take) from Swiss Valley. Their park has gotten better and better each year. However, Timber Ridge is only 10 min from bittersweet and we had some epic sessions in their park. They have a completely seperate area for their park and it has a rope tow so you doing have to keep strapping in and out.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-18-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
M-Dizz.... spoken almost perfectly...

D.Day....what type of riding are you looking to do & where do you ride mostly?(oh yeah, probably the midwest.d'uh) IF you are going to ride mostly park, ride shorter (153-155ish) Check out the websites too, I know rome has the listed weight range for each board on the website....
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-18-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
Im looking to be all over. I'd like hit the park and be able to hit a couple decent runs. As long as I get on a board I'd be good.