Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-22-2016, 5:42 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what kind of ghp people are getting surfing a G23 with the 550 motor? I'm trying to decide on the boat I am going to trade my RZ2 for. I am hearing horror stories about the fuel economy of the Gs. And yes it does matter what they get despite how much money you have. I can afford it but my son and I will be surfing probably 4 days a week and some if the fuel figures I've heard would make it a $100/day more than my RZ2. Plus the gas station is a bit out of the way. I'm leaning towards Ann RZX. I can get the supercharged 575 for 125k. It burns about 8 or 9gph surfing. I'm hearing 16 for a G. Big difference. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2016, 5:56 AM Reply   
If you're running 3k pounds of ballast on top of stock at 24mph, and falling repeatedly, you can get to 14-16 gph. For stock ballast (even 1k on top of stock) and surfing it's not more than 9-10 gph.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2016, 5:59 AM Reply   
Doesn't the new transmission get much better Gas mileage than the first couple years of the G
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-22-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
Dont have a nautique but do have a new boat with pcm and the new drive ratio and it for sure gets better GPH then the previous drive ratio.we had in our 14
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-22-2016, 6:22 AM Reply   
The new '16 model G's with the new H5 and H6 PCM motors coupled with the 2:1 trans gets way better gph than previous models. Just as Jeff on PlanetNautique forum. I don't know what model year G23 you're looking at Alan...but if you are looking at new G's, then there is absolutely no need for the 550 motor if you are primarily surfing!! The H6 can handle full stock ballast and plenty extra too at surf speeds. You would only really need the 550 if you're wakeboarding with a lot of extra ballast. Surfing you'll be fine. I took the H6 for a test ride with full stock ballast plus 9 (full size) people and a full tank of gas...handled it no problem at all speeds. Plus with the H6, you can run regular 87 octane fuel whereas the 550 requires 93 octane.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-22-2016, 7:20 AM Reply   
All fuel consumption discussion are stupid except for academic math problems. When you consider the overall cost of boats and even the upcharge between motors, to discuss the extra few dollars/hour of operation is outrageous. The savings of the smaller motor far exceeds the difference in gas consumption over the life of the boat. If you can afford the upcharge between the engines, you can afford the gas.
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-22-2016, 8:51 AM Reply   
The type of person that can afford a $130,000+ boat typically has made some pretty good business and financial decisions in their life. So telling a financially successful person not to compare engine and fuel GPH consumption goes against the very principles that caused them to be able to afford that type of boat in the fist place.
Its also just a good principle to get the absolute most bang for your buck when it comes to fun out on the water.
With that said. Ive found the best "bang for MY buck" in the G series is the 2016 G23 with the H6 and 2:1 ratio transmission.
However I have a close friend that disagrees, He bought a 2016 G21 with the H5 and saved about $17,000 over what I paid for my G23.
We both load our boat with a LOT of extra weight and his planes out no problem. And the G21 Wakeboard and Wakesurf wake are just as good as the G23. In my opinion the only area the G23 wins over a G21 is the cooler in the floor and the resale potential. (more people buy 23s than 21s)
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-22-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
All fuel consumption discussion are stupid except for academic math problems. When you consider the overall cost of boats and even the upcharge between motors, to discuss the extra few dollars/hour of operation is outrageous. The savings of the smaller motor far exceeds the difference in gas consumption over the life of the boat. If you can afford the upcharge between the engines, you can afford the gas.
This is exactly what I didn't want to hear. I could buy a million dollar boat if I wanted. That doesn't mean I don't care about spending $75/he to run a ski boat. That would bother me.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-22-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1080 View Post
The type of person that can afford a $130,000+ boat typically has made some pretty good business and financial decisions in their life. So telling a financially successful person not to compare engine and fuel GPH consumption goes against the very principles that caused them to be able to afford that type of boat in the fist place.
Its also just a good principle to get the absolute most bang for your buck when it comes to fun out on the water.
With that said. Ive found the best "bang for MY buck" in the G series is the 2016 G23 with the H6 and 2:1 ratio transmission.
However I have a close friend that disagrees, He bought a 2016 G21 with the H5 and saved about $17,000 over what I paid for my G23.
We both load our boat with a LOT of extra weight and his planes out no problem. And the G21 Wakeboard and Wakesurf wake are just as good as the G23. In my opinion the only area the G23 wins over a G21 is the cooler in the floor and the resale potential. (more people buy 23s than 21s)
Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know. The only problem with a 21 which I would buy is that they are too small for our lake. Lake Travis in Austin has lots of 45+ ft boats and it's not that wide so there are often big wakes which my wife and little girls don't like so I need 23ft at a minimum.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 9:24 AM Reply   
#baller
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-22-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
Oh lord people. I own my own business and I have a current year model boat (That is all WW cares about). Successful people do not waste on trivial differences. $5 extra/hour is nothing. Spread the cost of the upgrade in engines across boat hours. It will make the consumption difference instantly trivial. That is my point. If you can justify that cost, the gas doesn't matter much.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-22-2016, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
#baller
Blessed
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-22-2016, 9:36 AM Reply   
On top of being able to afford the boat, I have been wakeboarding 22 years, I am an expert wakeboarder, I've owned 7 boats, I've worked at a boat dealership and I have if I was to guess 5000+ hours behind the wheel of wake/skiboats at ski-schools. The "type of people who can afford a $130K boat" have a terrible habit of running off genuine experts from this site.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-22-2016, 9:51 AM Reply   
I regret being so harsh, but I based on my experience, the consumption between boats is negligible when you try to level all variables. Variations in consumption can easily be cancelled by specific variables on any given day. How many people, switching shores for a better wind block, etc. At the end, it is just a fancy math problem. If you can afford the engine upgrade and also justify it (just as important). Throw out the fuel consumption talk.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 10:16 AM Reply   
Prove it breh....
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 10:18 AM Reply   
I think any more on a boat then 30k is retarded. Just sayin��
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-22-2016, 10:30 AM Reply   
While I KIND OF agree with Justin (only because for myself I have the same mind set...I rarely buy a recreational vehicle, whether it be a boat, sports car, motorcycle, etc with the thought of fuel consumption in mind), I also completely understand the argument based on time spent on the water. If you take into account fuel availability on the OPs lake (looks like he has to travel to get gas), time spent filling it up, time lost due to increased gph....Then I can see where one would be concerned with this. If you take the difference from just 14gph to 10gph, then that alone is approximately 2 full extra hours one can spend ON THE WATER (based on a 65 gallon fuel tank)! And 2 hours is a lot of time! And if you have to travel to get more fuel, more often, then that too is just more time lost enjoying the boat and the sport. I still don't think Justin is right in judging somebody's concern for saving money though, no matter how much they may have in the bank. Some people just like to save every penny possible. And granted though it may be pennies, literally, it's still more money in the pocket! I say good on you for being cost conscious! But for me, the extra TIME would be more valuable and worth the discussion of GPH. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by beg4wake; 04-22-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old     (nohlan_4)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-22-2016, 10:32 AM Reply   
Go to planet nautique and talk to nyryan he has alot of info on prop choices with the 550 and primarily surfs it. I think he is averaging around 8gph. I was looking into the same problem when I bought my G. It's not a money thing, its a convience thing about having to pull the boat eveytime to re fill.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-22-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have 25 hours on my 16 G23 with 550/2:1 so far. This was done between November and now (in Vermont) so, there is no cruising or wakeboarding to figure in. Just surfing in November, on Christmas Day, Easter Sunday, and a couple times over the last 2 weeks. Filled it up again last night. Average consumption over the 25 hours calculated as 7.6gph.

New gearbox and prop definitely help....
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 4:18 PM Reply   
I was fishing for a internet argument earlier my bad. But when we ride ,which is every day,which is why I'd never spend that much on a boat, everyone brings there gas cans full
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 4:21 PM Reply   
Make your crew buy gas cans. You bought the boat the least they could do is bring 5 gal everytime, that's what we do at least. I was just fishing for a argument earlier my bad. Lol
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 4:23 PM Reply   
But then again if you were a financially conscious person would you really be buying a 150k boat for "surfing"? Kind of a oxymoron....
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-22-2016, 4:58 PM Reply   
Let the man buy his damn boat lol ... If you guys don't know what the gph is why are you causing problems? WakeWorld is for EVERYONE... New to boating world of been in it all their life.... Rich or poor, doesn't matter! We're all here cause we love our boat and our sports! Let's just help this guy out with he gph and be done! If he wanted everyone's opinion on whether he deserves or should get the boat then he would make a post for that
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 6:39 PM Reply   
Lol
Attached Images

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2016, 11:37 PM Reply   
I've shredded behind.... '13 G23 with a 409, '13 G23 with 450, '13 G23 with a 550, '14 G21 with 450, own a '15 G23 with a 450, 16' G23 with the supercharged motor, and a '16 G21 with the H5. Elevation that ive done with all these is around 1000 if that. If you're talking brand new 2016 models then the H6 will get the job done in the G23 no problem. Heck the H5 could porbably do it too. Those new motors are dialed in! The supercharged motor is limitless power, pretty much designed in the event you wanna cover your cabin area with sacs on top of the lockers being sacked out too. No I haven't done that much weight yet but pretty close. And whats more terrifying than riding behind her is being the driver having to safely stop the vessel without taking on water.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       04-24-2016, 10:38 PM Reply   
To answer the original poster.....If you DON"T get the 550....you will never miss it....guaranteed. The H6 is ALL you need. You will sleep better at night with the H6. There will always be that group that says....Money no object, you can't go "UP" with the H6 but you'll never go back with the 550....blah blah blah. But look, you're probably no pro...and won't use the boat to pull pro anything....so save the money for gas and get the H6.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-25-2016, 5:18 AM Reply   
^+1
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-25-2016, 10:28 AM Reply   
I took my 2016 G23 with the H6 out Friday with the following configuration;

Factory ballast; FULL
Gas tank: FULL
Extra Ballast 1500lbs. (Two- 350s in the back lockers One- 750 in the walkway)
3 People: Driver 210lbs, spotter 120lbs and a rider.

We took 3 sets approximately 1-1/2 hours and burnt 8 gallons of gas.

That comes out to about 5.3 GPH with a fully loaded boat.

Ive had every Xstar model including the new one with a 7.3 and I have never had such a low GPH
Needless to say Im very happy!
If I go out for a "Surf Only" set Ill report my findings.

Summery:
The new H6 engine in these Gs is freekin sweet!!
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-26-2016, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
I have 25 hours on my 16 G23 with 550/2:1 so far. This was done between November and now (in Vermont) so, there is no cruising or wakeboarding to figure in. Just surfing in November, on Christmas Day, Easter Sunday, and a couple times over the last 2 weeks. Filled it up again last night. Average consumption over the 25 hours calculated as 7.6gph.

New gearbox and prop definitely help....
Thanks.That's pretty good. Our pump is $30 minute ride from where we surf so time is a big concern as well.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-26-2016, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
I was fishing for a internet argument earlier my bad. But when we ride ,which is every day,which is why I'd never spend that much on a boat, everyone brings there gas cans full
You have a 65 gallon gas can? Damn! Lol
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-26-2016, 4:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Make your crew buy gas cans. You bought the boat the least they could do is bring 5 gal everytime, that's what we do at least. I was just fishing for a argument earlier my bad. Lol
I keep telling those little bastards to buy gas. They just keep giving me this line about being ten years old and no one will hire them or something. Sounds fishy to me.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-26-2016, 4:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
But then again if you were a financially conscious person would you really be buying a 150k boat for "surfing"? Kind of a oxymoron....
That's not how most self made millionaires think. I know lots of them. They're all money conscious. Every one of my friends who owns a million dollar boat cringes at the pump every single time. You don't get there by being care free with money. I loved getting 30 mpg in my Corvette ZR1 and I hated getting 15mpg in my M6. I don't buy any clothes, cars, jewelry or just about anything not on sale. And most of its second hand. I never buy new cars.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-27-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
Hahaha Alan....Haven't they ever heard of child labor?!! Send them to my house and they can mow my lawn...I'll pay them in gas cans! haha. Besides...WHO in the heck wants to sit there for an hour or so trying to put 13 gas cans into a G trying to fill her up?!! (65 gallons / 5 gallon cans)
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-27-2016, 6:25 AM Reply   
Lol. Lil bastards
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-14-2016, 5:42 AM Reply   
Well, don't buy the 550HP Engine until you really need it for huge ballast. You can talk to 20 boat owners about the gph and you will get 25 different answers ;-).

I should check where the diagnostics port of my 409 is, and then run the software to log the data.