Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-14-2014, 7:13 PM Reply   
So i decided to make a "shore charging station". I put a battery charger on the wall and ran a 14 gauge wire to the ceiling and across to where the boat sits. I knew i needed a connector so i found a nice waterproof 12v plug on ebay. The power goes to the common post on the perko switch so i can choose what battery i want to charge.

Is this dumb? It was kind of an experiment but it seems to be working.

Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-14-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
Pretty cool. Or you could have connected to a cig lighter plug, also available on ebay. And plugged in anywhere on boat, then used your perko to isolate either one or neither of the batteries. Then you would not have to mess with wiring at all on perko.

Good job though. Thanks for sharing. Your lucky to have your boat handy in the winter.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-14-2014, 11:49 PM Reply   
Just curious why you didn't want to mount the battery charger in the boat? Then all you need is an extension cord and you can charge it up anywhere you want, instead of only being able to use the connectors in your garage.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-15-2014, 12:11 AM Reply   
Ewok01, I was wondering the same thing, unless he is using the charger to charge other batteries besides his boat.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2014, 4:28 AM Reply   
Good question ewok. For one reason i want to be able to check battery status and turn on/off the charger while not in the boat. Another reason is that early SANs dont have a lot of extra storage and at charger isnt made for marine environments.

I like the cig lighter idea and i didnt even thonk about that. But my cig lighter is turned on/off with my ignition being on and accy 1 on also. Seems like a battery drain
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-15-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
You got me, cig lighter idea a bust.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-15-2014, 9:54 AM Reply   
You also have to make sure the cig lighter can handle the Amps of the charger.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-15-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
I use a trickle charger like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G1100-Bat...rickle+charger

I wire it to both batterys and its small enough to store in the boat. Plug her in every time the boat gets put in its home and havent had a problem. It reads fully charged after sitting a night but I am not 100% sure if it actually charges both batteries
Old     (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       03-15-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
#14 Wire may not be heavy enough for a long run at 12 Volts if that is a 10 amp charger. I would make sure that no part of the wire gets warm while charging. If the wire is not heavy enough, there will be voltage drop at the battery end, and charging will not be as effective, and it could be a safety problem. There is an online voltage drop calculator http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html to help determine the correct size wire, more than 15 Feet is a long way for 12 volt DC power.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2014, 4:47 PM Reply   
The length of the wire is roughly 15 feet. The charger is 2 amp,6 amp or 10 amp. I like to charge at 2 amp so i am seeing a .15 volt drop from that distance. Is this cause for any concerns?
Old     (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       03-15-2014, 4:53 PM Reply   
At 2 amp, that should be fine, 10 amp could be an issue.
Old     (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       03-15-2014, 4:57 PM Reply   
And the short distance makes it OK, I was thinking that it was farther away.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-15-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
Ok thanks. Like i said, it was an experiment. Thanks for the help!