Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-12-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
So I saw my orthopedist and he gave me two prescriptions for any knee braces I want! Of course I told him Ossur so he wrote it down on the pad. He told me to go online and pick which CTI model, color, etc. But there is so many to choose from!! I'm guessing its either the CTI Custom or the CTI OA. so which one of the CTIs is best one for wakeboarding? Im getting my measurements tomorrow afternoon.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2012, 7:17 PM Reply   
Depends on your insurance and what they will cover. A friend of mine is a rep in the sports bracing industry and you really can't go wrong with either the off the shelf or the custom when it comes to cti. Ive ridden the custom for about 8 years now and have two more on order right now. If insurance wasn't going to cover it though I was going to get the off the shelf. As far as which custom to get, he talked me out Of the vapor model and I went with the standard version. He said the standard has more carbon fiber and can handle the forces we put on it when wakeboarding. My last one was a standard as well and it did not flex at all and saved my acl more than a couple times.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-12-2012, 7:32 PM Reply   
My insurance is covering this so im not too worried about that.... so this will definitely be a custom, i was just overwhelmed by all the models they had. whats the difference between the vapor and standard?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-13-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
OTS is short for Off The Shelf... so other than straps its not really a custom fit. The CTI custom requires an actual cast and measurements of your leg that are sent off for molding resulting in a fully customized fit. I've been riding the custom for 2 years after my ACL/Meniscus work and its great. See if you can go ahead and score an extra full set of straps though because they do deteriorate after a lot of riding. Also make ABSOLUTELY sure you order the AMS - anti migration strap with the brace. For use in the water you have to have it or the brace will slide down your leg.
Old    BenjTrogdon            01-13-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
the Vapor Custom!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-13-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Cool thanks for the info guys. I think I'll be going with The cti custom stsndard. And definitely will get the ams for the brace. Will see what I can do about additional straps. And will report tonight after I go in for my fitting
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-23-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Well it has been well over a month and I have procrastinated the out come of my CTI braces.
It took about two Weeks to hear back from the prosthetic company that Aetna was covering the braces 100%. Got fitted two Weeks ago and now they're in!
Looking at the girth of the standard size carbon fiber it seems pretty beefy. My brother has his vapor on order so I will be able to compare the thickness of carbon fiber.(not too worried about the girth but wanted to put out the observation)
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-23-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Can you say.. Black n yellow, black n yellow, black n yellow!

Old    9Drozd            02-23-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
You'll love them. Ive got one for my left knee and I honestly forget im even wearing it. I got the optional Anti Migration strap, but have yet to use it on the water. The standard pads it come with do well even in water. I dont have any problem with the brace migrating. The only time its ever irritated me was after a long day of snowboarding and it was just when I was walking back to the car. Love the colors btw.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-23-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
thats good to hear that it can work well without use of the anit migration strap. my pair came with all kinds of goodies. 4 anit migration straps, 2 ossur duffle bags, 4 leg sleeves, different brace... hinge....thingys.... and different size hinge pads. now i just need to find some pittsburg steelers stickers
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-24-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Nice color choice! lol
I got a CTI custom last season and love it. It has helped so much.
Attached Images

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-24-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
I have custom for one side and OTS for the other, I use the custom with AMS, but never tried it w the standard straps. The velcro did wear after 2 yr. But insurance covered reconstruction.
You should be happy
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
I'll play I guess... Just got them in the other day. I used to have a yellow custom. Decided to go with two white ones this time for the clean look.
(Bad quality cell phone pic I know)
Attached Images

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-25-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Is it me or do your white CTIs look a little.. Beefy?
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-25-2012, 1:45 PM Reply   
That's how mine look.

Does anyone else have problems with theirs cracking? Mine crack every year. It's not a big deal bc it's covered under warranty and they replace them for me. Just curious if anyone else has this same issue.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-26-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
The custom Vapors are the way to go. I have two myself and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-26-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
They are actually thinner than my old one. The lighting and quality of that picture is terrible.