Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (BOOMSMACK)      Join Date: Apr 2017       09-26-2017, 4:14 PM Reply   
So I'm sure by now we have all seen some of the new wakesurfers with straps on them and Noah Flegel doing some flips behind the surf wave. My first thought was "hey they might be on to something with this!" then I realized that this had been invented a long time ago, it was called a SKURFER which was literally a surfboard with straps!!! Back in the day guys where getting only a few feet of air and doing small 360s and a few inverts (very similar to wakesurfing now). I'm not sure how big these surf waves are gonna get but they are never gonna be catching any serious height at just 10 mph. As surfing progresses and people land new tricks they are gonna be pushing to go bigger and I bet soon we start seeing some big tricks (for surfing) over the transition. Then all you need is more speed, better straps for bigger landings, longer line length for more hangtime and boom your back to wakeboarding! Surfing already has two somewhat distinct styles (surf/skim) with I think have similar qualities to wakeboard and wakeskate. The more I thought about it seems that surfing will turn into a training tool for beginners to learn wakeboarding without the hard falls until they are ready to go big.

Surfing is very popular now but almost everybody agrees it's boring and lacks intensity/skill. I highly doubt it will stay extremely popular for very long if it doesn't progress because people will loose interest.

Anyways I may be totally wrong and just hoping it turns out this way. Anyways I would like to hear some other opinions on this.