Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-01-2016, 3:39 PM Reply   
Alright guys, I’ve been trying to land my back roll for a solid half year now (first invert). I’ve probably had 100+ falls from it (luckily many were at slow speed at the beginning). The guys over at Learnwake have been helping me through it (they are GREAT!) and I’ve finally landed my first one. I would like to get a fresh set of eyes on my back roll’s to see if someone see’s something that’s holding me back.

My main issue is that I under rotate by like 20 degrees. I land on my back edge. Believe it or not but I am holding on as hard as I can when the handle pop’s out. So much so that I’ve ripped a couple callus’s already and last time out I had to wear thin gloves because I got a ½”x1/2” rip already.

Anyways, as I said I have tried a ton of these and they have been getting better and better but I’m still missing that last 20 degrees. This is what I’ve done so far:

1. Delay the ‘release’ till I’m at the actual wake (don’t let off early)
2. Slow the boat down from my normal riding speed. I was shooting past the wake and the impact of the landing was pretty harsh. I slowed it down 1mph and that brought me to the wake. (normally ride 21.4 at 65ft)
3. Try to be more cognizant of the handle bar location. I tried to make sure the handle bar stayed closer to my body instead of letting it (or my hips) out.
4. Cut harder and harder at the wake. Make it as progressive as I could.
5. Straighten my legs off the wake
6. Focus on bending my legs deep on landing

https://youtu.be/pJRqQn6Veyw

Here’s a video of my last 10 tries from the weekend. I cut out all the riff raff to save you time. The last one is my landing. The landing was still very sloppy but I’ll take it. The main difference compared to the 2 before it was I made sure to push off as hard as I can and remember my legs locking completely out coming off the wake. I think it gave me that extra 5% to actually barely land it. It still looks like I’m working SO hard for it though. My cut is deep and longer than expected. I really don’t like that because the LearnWake guys stress how little time you actually have to cut for the trick to work (all technique). However I tried 2 by cutting out less and starting the cut at the wash but I ended up doing ¾ of a flip both times, painful. So I feel like I’m still missing something crucial.

These 10 are all in order and you can see the last few I was getting closer and closer. I rode away for a few feet on a few of them before the forces were too overwhelming and the handle ripped out. The only reason I included 10 attempts is if you see something consistently wrong to help me get the extra 10% rotation I need to land comfortably. Higher boat speed just shoots be further into the flats and no more actual rotation. I definitely shoot out just as far or even further than my regular jumps, so the cut is good. Like I said, I had to slow it down 1mph just to stop overshooting the wake. The pop is good on most of them and I think on most of them I have good leg extension.

Any suggestions?