Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2020, 5:21 AM Reply   
Doing end of year maintenance and I’m trying to get the rotor off the distributor shaft. I admit ignorance, but I was under the impression that the rotor just pulled up off the shaft without any fastener removal. This rotor was in need of a change as it was brittle and broke right off. Is there something I’m missing or is it possibly corroded to the shaft?
Attached Images

Old     (GSXRcrasher)      Join Date: Jul 2013       11-02-2020, 5:05 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure it is supposed to just pull off. Probably stuck on extra hard from corrosion. I would put a piece of scrap wood across the base to protect it and use a pry bar pushing up right next to the shaft.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-02-2020, 8:19 AM Reply   
makes you wonder how the corrosion got in there to start with. doesn't take much moisture to cause issues. Id replace the dizz, they're not much. Not sure if you're comfortable setting timing, not difficult. Although you're not going to be able to tell where current timing is set so get your hands on a manual for that motor.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2020, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
makes you wonder how the corrosion got in there to start with. doesn't take much moisture to cause issues. Id replace the dizz, they're not much. Not sure if you're comfortable setting timing, not difficult. Although you're not going to be able to tell where current timing is set so get your hands on a manual for that motor.
Nacho, you’re probably right. I tried to get in there with a pry bar and only succeeded in chipping more plastic off the rotor. I’m 99.9% certain this is the first time it’s been changed and I know the previous owner didn’t treat the boat very well—to the point of putting it away without taking out the plug, which is likely what’s caused the corrosion to build up over time. The only other thing I can think of is to get a heat gun on it to try and get the plastic to soften and expand a bit, but I wonder if that’s more risk than necessary. I’ve never replaced a distributor so it might be a bit of a stretch for me to do it, but I’m not opposed to taking it in either.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-03-2020, 3:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohangtime View Post
Nacho, you’re probably right. I tried to get in there with a pry bar and only succeeded in chipping more plastic off the rotor. I’m 99.9% certain this is the first time it’s been changed and I know the previous owner didn’t treat the boat very well—to the point of putting it away without taking out the plug, which is likely what’s caused the corrosion to build up over time. The only other thing I can think of is to get a heat gun on it to try and get the plastic to soften and expand a bit, but I wonder if that’s more risk than necessary. I’ve never replaced a distributor so it might be a bit of a stretch for me to do it, but I’m not opposed to taking it in either.
just take it in. won't be expensive. Heat may work, likely to end up with a mess and will be replacing dizz anyway.

what year?
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-03-2020, 5:38 AM Reply   
So I was able to get it off after borrowing my neighbor's oscillating multi-tool with a serrated blade. I essentially had to chip it out into about 10 different pieces before I could peel the remainder of the rotor off the shaft. Hard to tell if it was heat, corrosion, or lack of maintenance from the previous owner that did it, but I'm going to guess all three played a part. I started it up this morning and it ran fine, so I'm going to call this done.

Thanks for the help!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-03-2020, 6:44 AM Reply   
cool!