Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JustinH13)      Join Date: Jul 2012 Location: Greenville, SC       05-14-2019, 2:57 PM Reply   
I've got a 2000 Super Air loaded down pretty heavy. Perfect Pass Pro Series (see attached pic) was installed maybe 2011 or 2012 I think. In order to get cruise control to hold, what I end up having to do is to get the speed a couple mph or so over where i have cruise control set. Then, I back off on the throttle but, to prevent the speed from dropping below the set point, I have to give it a bit more throttle as the speed is decreasing to the point where it slowly drops down to the set point. Otherwise, it drops too far and won't get back up to the set point.

If there's less weight in the boat, the speed holds better and this is not as much of an issue. But, I definitely want the weight in the boat to increase the wake size.

So, is there anything I can do to make it less sensitive and more quickly get set on the speed I want without having to decrease ballast? Would changing the prop help at all? Is there something with the perfect pass I can adjust? Something else I'm overlooking?

Appreciate any comments
Attached Images

Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2019, 2:01 AM Reply   
http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all...mechanical.pdf

I assume this is paddlewheel and doesn't have the GPS upgrade? Set it to RPM mode and see if it holds speed better, if so then its a paddlewheel issue that is probably getting put under more stress somehow when the boat is weighted down. Otherwise perform the linkage and servo tests described in the manual above and make sure nothing is getting caught/rubbing. How much weight are you talking? 2k? If you are getting above 2k then yeah, its going to be a struggle even repropped for that boat to maintain perfect speed. After all that, just call Perfect Pass, they have the best customer service around.
Old     (JustinH13)      Join Date: Jul 2012 Location: Greenville, SC       05-15-2019, 3:25 AM Reply   
It's actually not paddlewheel but GPS. Think RPM mode would help at all? It's well over 2k pounds. Maybe just call Perfect Pass, as you suggested? Thx for the input
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-15-2019, 4:23 AM Reply   
My perfect pass works fine with that much weight on the same hull. It does help to have weight throughout the boat - too much in the rear can cause the boat to come off plane and speed to be uneven. I believe there are settings as to how often the speed adjusts that may help (I don't think I've ever toyed with mine). And, this advice from the manual above is how I drive so that might help too...good luck:

The key to good driving is to smoothly drive to engagement speed so PerfectPass can seamlessly take control. If you have a heavily laden boat and need full throttle from start, slowly pull back on handle as speed increases to help PerfectPass engage smoothly.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2019, 5:42 AM Reply   
There are two settings within PP, I think they're NN and KDw. They basically set how agressive PP is when getting to the speed and how frequently it samples to make those adjustments. Although, it references the paddlewheel it may still apply for GPS

KdW (Pull Characteristic) - KdW can be changed using the UP or DOWN keys with it highlighted on the screen.
Higher values = more aggressive control response. Factory setting is 80. (Example: Heavily loaded boats may need a
higher value to maintain a steady, crisp pull. Try 100– 150). After adjustment, press MENU to proceed. (Maximum
recommended setting 200).
NN (Paddle Filter Factor) – NN is set at 120 and represents the “Filter Factor” of the paddle. The higher the value, the
more speed samples are taken from the Paddle prior to speed adjustment. It is rare for NN to require adjustment from
Factory setting. If you believe your system is more “nervous” than it should be, try raising the NN. If the speed is floating
too much, try lowering NN. This value is shared with Wakeboard Mode. Adjustments made in either mode will change
the value in both modes. (Normal range 80 – 150).