Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-06-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
I invited a buddy of mine, his wife and one of their friends on the boat for some evening butter. I invited them before lunch and we were to meet at 5. They text me at 4:15 and tell me they decided to go to cable park, and weren't going to make it.

I had already told another buddy I was full and couldn't take him, because they were coming. And it was too late to find others to fill those spots. This did not affect me riding as I already had my normal crew, but it pissed me off none the less. To me this is one of the big sins, but I may be over reacting.

I handled the situation calmly, but wanted to see what the WW population thought and what they would have done in this instance.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-06-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
Cary.. Looks like you may need to invite some others in the area that won't bail...
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
Let it go. Not a big deal. I typically don't invite again. They have to text me if I am going out. Most people know I am out every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday though.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-06-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Literally, happens to me weekly with the spot fillers, not the regulars. It's annoying as you can only save seats for so many people and non-boat owners just don't understand. Not sure a good way to handle it let. Suggestion???

oh well,
DC
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-06-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
standard. get used to it.
Old     (JDK13)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-06-2013, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
standard. get used to it.
Ahaha lol..... But same
Old    sperbet            08-06-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
Did they already know you had 3? If so then I'd say it's not a big deal. Otherwise, I'd be pissed too.
Old    rullery            08-06-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
Don't sweat it, but hold a silent grudge. Then next time they invite you for anything, kindly accept and BOOM cancel at the last minute.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-06-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
I would let them fall a few places on the call list.
But I would also mention it to your buddy how it couldve been a situation had you not a crew togethor!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-06-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
Move them down your speed dial list and move someone more reliable up.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-06-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
Invite them out. 45 minute before they meet you, tell them you're full and they should go to the cable park.
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       08-06-2013, 1:34 PM Reply   
is the wife hot? is the friend a female? if the answer is no to either.......move them to the bottom of the list, if yes to one of questions.......move them to the "I need a few more bodies" list, If yes to both......deal with it and move on!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-06-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
It's annoying if they just flake. However it's worth a shovel to the face if they were to be your third and costed you a day out. That's just very poor etiquette and just plain rude to flake like that. If it was a maybe they will maybe they won't, then I wouldn't care. But if they committed, I wouldn't throw them an invite for a while.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-06-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
It's rude on their part. Let it go, otherwise it'll piss you off, but move them down the call list for sure.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-06-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
I.hate.flakes.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2013, 11:18 PM Reply   
On its face it looks like they voted against YOU and/or your boat. I don't know the conversation that led to their commitment of going but, it sounds pretty rude that they did that. Bottom line is; if you need them for a third,you gotta take their crap. If you don't ever need them as a third, kick them to the curb. Finding a reliable/dedicated crew is difficult at best. Everyone who doesn't have that concern should be thankful. There's nothing like having a boat all set up and ready to go and no one to go with...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Sadly, you just gotta move on.

I used to have at least 3 people bail everytime we went....one dude would often call me 5 minutes before we were supposed to leave and ask "Are we still going?" I started telling him "No" and just going without him.

At this point, I have a 2/3 people I can count on, thats all I need to go. I also got tired of teaching people.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
Stop inviting them as a whole. They have the cable park, which in the future will probably replace your boat anyway if they're already doing it now.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-07-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
i mean its pretty cool that you have the option of cable or boat whenever..
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
i mean its pretty cool that you have the option of cable or boat whenever..
Yes it is, especially once someone like that has run out of people's boats to go out on by backing out.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2013, 11:02 AM Reply   
Another vote for "bottom of the invite list" & assuming they knew you already had a third, no big deal.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-07-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
it always seems to happen. everyone is like "dude, im down anytime"then you call them and there like " i can't" .Im training my 2 year old to take over spotting when he is ready. May be a bit but Ive been working with him and he will say down when someone falls.
Old     (V8_Killer)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-07-2013, 5:01 PM Reply   
Don't invite them again. Wait for them to ask, and if its nothing off you and you have room tell them to come. If they cancel after asking I'd probably let them have it at that point.

I have my reliable crew, everyone else has a standing open invite. I don't ask anyone for this kind of exact reason. If I see someone that hasn't been out in a while I remind them to come anytime, but that's as far as I go.

My friend has a brand new Moomba and he tells me every Friday he's bringing like 10 people and Saturday I see him on the lake with 2-3. All his friends bail every weekend and he just keeps inviting them with their fake commitments to show.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-08-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
This is how you basically find your reliable crew.
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-09-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
I keep a list on my phone of people that get invites when I have room for extra riders/people. If someone bails (without letting me know a decent amount of time in advance) or is a no show, they get moved to the bottom of that list. With 30 some-odd people (and more get added as the summer goes on), it takes a while for their name to come back up in the rotation.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-09-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Invite them out. 45 minute before they meet you, tell them you're full and they should go to the cable park.
Hahahahaha awesome!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-09-2013, 10:30 AM Reply   
I have my core group. We ride. Its rare we have to cancel on eachother for any reason. We ride, some number of us and if we see the other guys out who like to ride, maybe we group up on a boat, or raft up, but beyond that... I don't have a call list, unless I need someone last minute