Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-09-2016, 6:41 AM Reply   
Brian Grubb............

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-09-2016, 4:29 PM Reply   
Coco probably would have been my vote. Grubb is a legend but the sport has progressed past him. I'm not sure I've ever seen home even kick flip.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2016, 6:53 PM Reply   
It was so stupid. I was there and I definitely booed. It's a slap in the face to wakeskating
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-12-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
My thoughts exactly. Glad I'm not the only one.

Just a big **** you to all the wakeskaters actually pushing the sport from wakeboarding magazine.
Old     (grantr)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-13-2016, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
It was so stupid. I was there and I definitely booed. It's a slap in the face to wakeskating
You know I like you Mitch, but if you really booed Grubb winning wakeskater of the year then you are everything that is wrong with wakeskating. The guy is the only global ambassador for the sport we have. He is one of the only guys left that is constantly traveling and still showing wakeskating to NEW people. I would have been fine with a Reed or Nick selection, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Grubb winning wakeskater of the year. I think we have all learned that wakeskating is too small to have a hate-police mentality. Maybe they will can wakeskater of the year all together next year because you guys either bitch about not having your own wakeskate mag doing the award, or boo the selection anyways. Everybody would bitch about Reed winning every year too.

Wakeskating needs exposure right now, not just trick progression.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2016, 8:21 AM Reply   
There are a bunch of guys that are doing so much more to try to keep wakeskating progressing, stay interesting, and getting the sport in front of new people. Clem, Coco, Austin, Andrew, Reed, Nick, Ben, and Daniel Grant all did way more for wakeskating this past year. Do you really think Grubb was the best ambassador of wakeskating for last year? Coco and Clem were putting out insane content on instagram all year. Austin, Andrew, and Reed were dominating the sport and what is possible. Nick and Ben traveled the world spreading the stoke of wakeskating. And Daniel Grant was just insane. Grubb did a couple boat events that no one goes to and no one watches and he had almost no content for the year.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
Reed is light years ahead of Grubb as far as skill goes, and he would actually make a little more sense as wakeskater of the year. See source:
http://tofo.me/p/1335619630584424699

A "Global Ambassador" who is chosen 10 years ago helps wakeskating how?

Couldn't they just pick an up-and-coming ripper to go do shove-its or a boardslide in a Phillipino rice patty? Or even an old vet? Pastura Brothers, Horan, Nick Taylor, Manzari, anyone really, I mean c'mon. Daniel Grant was prob in the Phillipines already, let him do a kickflip down that gap instead of this:
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/adventu...he-philippines

Let's be honest here, Grubb is subpar at best and has been phoning in his career for a while now... And I know he won the prestigious WWA WORLD TITLE (and beat Reed and Danny there)- Holy **** -
but if booing Grubb is "What's wrong with wakeskating right now", I don't wanna be right.

Also, all the videos of Grubbs global travels are from 2015 or before, so not even a "Global Ambassador" for 2016.

I'll leave this here:

VS This:

I know it's a bunch of hate, and I don't even wakeskate all that much, but someone needs to say something, because it's ****ed up for sure and straight up bull****.

Keep it real
http://snowboardmag.com/stories/call...wboarding-real

end rant
Old     (grantr)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-13-2016, 10:14 AM Reply   
You're proving my point with those videos. Look at the views. The reason Grubb did that for RedBull is because he rides for RedBull? I'm not sure why RedBull would have any of those guys do that considering they all ride for rockstar.

Mitch, I already made my case for Coco when I said his video of him riding behind the boat got the most play for wakeskating I had seen all year. That said I still wouldn't give him a vote for rider of the year. I said I think Nick and Reed deserved it more than Grubb, you can include Daniel Grant as another worthy candidate. The others? Meh, you think putting out content on instagram to 3500 people is worthy of wakeskater of the year? You think blatantly killing stoke by photoshopping a cover is worthy of ambassador for wakeskating? Everybody has an opinion. I wouldn't boo nay of your candidates if I didn't agree with it because it makes you look like an ass. Just as I didn't think Cassie and Mahalia deserved the photoshopping, I certainly don't think Grubb has done anything to warrant him being booed after all he has done for wakeskating.

Those boat contests he go to do actually show wakeskating to new people. What venue has more of a chance to show somebody new wakeskating? The wakeskate tour or the boat contest. I would bet anything that 99% of people at the wakeskate tour know what wakeskating is before they get there. I agreed with you that the other I mentioned could have and maybe should have, but booing people at one of the last things we have for wakeskating is what is wrong with the sport.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2016, 11:30 AM Reply   
I agree that Grubb shouldn't get the brunt of the hate, this is 100% hate directed at wakeboarding magazine.

So, you sit in a room and put together a list of wakeskate tricks that went down this year and make a list for "trick of the year". Cool, can't really argue about the legitimacy of that because they speak for themselves. I'm also amazed they came up with that list given who they chose for rider of the year (which is almost more disrespectful).

Then, in that same room with the same people (I'm assuming), they come up with Brian Grubb, for WAKESKATER OF THE YEAR FOR 2016. I really just feel silly typing that. The only legitimate reason would be that he won the WWA Worlds, which is the only tournament ever I guess.

Also, only one of the videos above is from this year, the others should not count in voting on a 2016 rider of the year.
and another note, I wasn't wondering why they weren't on a Redbull trip, more wondering why is Grubb still on Redbull, but I digress.

Props to Grubby, can't wait to see some more bangerz for the next 10 years. Indy shove for life

Maybe we can get a little insight to the selection process from our corporate overlords
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-14-2016, 2:07 PM Reply   
mitch you called me a kook for dirty mackin wakeboarders then booed a wake skater? Cmon breh. The mans right wake skating needs any and all exposure as possible,Not internal hate. That dude is hooky bobbin with a winch! Not tech but looks funner then ****!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-14-2016, 9:02 PM Reply   
The general wake awards are voted on by a number of "industry professionals." I was sent a ballot (i did not vote because i don't follow wakeboarding to do it justice). It's not strictly folks at WBM. In years past, the wakeskate vote was separate. I'm not sure if that was the case this year, but that could help explain the results.

Move of the year has typically been voted on by a small group of folks--in the past it was a handful of riders and others close to the heart of wakeskating. Not random folks who generally don't follow wakeskating but have been given a voice.

I agree with grant 110%. Maybe i'd have voted for someone else, but at least you don't have to question whether or not grubb rides or if he's committed. His longevity is insane...he's had a career longer than any independent wakeskate brand has been in business. Anyway, don't hate the player, hate the game. It's not like he gave this award to himself.

And as far as grubb being on red bull; they must see something in him, considering they chose to keep him on the team over raph derome, who is younger and completely radical in his own right on a wakeboard. Wakeskating is lucky someone like him was kept on a team like that. Weird flip side: look at liquid force, their range of wakeskates for 2017 and who does and does not have a pro model. The opportunities are changing...

Last edited by electricsnow; 09-14-2016 at 9:10 PM.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
I'd have to agree - don't hate the player, hate the game (WBM)
.... But by your own statements you are considered an "Industry Professional" even though you don't follow the industry.

Case closed guys! We got em!!!! haha
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-15-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
I was much closer to wakeboarding in the past. I don't have the same interest in it. That's not the case with wakeskating. Further, it's up to me to be honest and admit that it's not my thing anymore, and I've done that. I can't speak to anyone else who voted.

That said, I felt like that's why they separated the wakeskating votes from the wakeboarding votes. It's pretty clear, even in a reader's poll, you will get different results from folks who are really into wakeskating vs. folks who are on the periphery or see a little bit of this and that. I was expecting a separate ballot this year and that didn't happen, which is why I think they were all one ballot.

I'm not even saying to hate WBM. People know what they know, and unfortunately there's a huge group of folks who still aren't in touch or have great exposure to the wakeskating that you and I know. I guess my first question would be why.
Old     (grantr)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-15-2016, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeR103 View Post
I'd have to agree - don't hate the player, hate the game (WBM)
.... But by your own statements you are considered an "Industry Professional" even though you don't follow the industry.

Case closed guys! We got em!!!! haha
I would seriously consider deleting this post if I were you. The poster you are referring to has been involved with wakeskating since the start of it and their perspective is highly valued within the community.

That being said, always good hearing your perspective e-snow. As I said in my post, I don't have an issue with having a different vote than Grubb, but the way it was gone about I had an issue with. I think Grubb is a perfectly good candidate for wakeskater of the year, just as I think Reed, Nick and Daniel are. I never understood where the hate for Grubb came from. The guy has never hated on anybody, anything and has always just done his thing.

As much sh*t as wakeskaters have talked on the wakeboard side of the industry, we should be happy they still even include us in their awards show. A lot of those guys realize the spot wakeskating is in and maybe think Grubb doing what Grubb does is helping the most and gave it to him.

Last edited by grantr; 09-15-2016 at 9:48 AM. Reason: .
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
No matter what, I dont agree that Brian Grubb was the Wakeskater of the Year.

I will just keep trying to grow wakeskating how I can by taking the wake club that I created at the high school I work at to the cable parks and introducing all the kids to wakeskating as well as providing boards for them to ride whenever they want.
Old     (grantr)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-15-2016, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
No matter what, I dont agree that Brian Grubb was the Wakeskater of the Year.

I will just keep trying to grow wakeskating how I can by taking the wake club that I created at the high school I work at to the cable parks and introducing all the kids to wakeskating as well as providing boards for them to ride whenever they want.
Thats fine to disagree with the pick, nothing wrong with that. I just don't think you should disagree with it in a hateful way.

Thats incredible you're doing that, I would rather you be wakeskater of the year than most for doing it. And I hope you know I'm not being sarcastic and it helps you see what wakeskater of the year means to me now.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2016, 10:41 AM Reply   
Grant, you need to come out and ride sometime. I've been living out in discovery bay, but I'm moving to livermore soon.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm not even saying to hate WBM. People know what they know, and unfortunately there's a huge group of folks who still aren't in touch or have great exposure to the wakeskating that you and I know. I guess my first question would be why.
Couldn't agree more, and while I have my own ideas of why it is this way, I'll just leave it alone.

For me personally, I was shocked at the pick, and wanted to see if anyone else felt the same. Honestly I haven't seen a Brian Grubb part in years. Just wanted to speak up a little for the guys pushing it with their own board companies, winch spots, and 2.0 parks.

Keep the underground lit
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-16-2016, 4:17 AM Reply   
Grubb doesn't even compete in the wakeskate tour... What does that tell you? He definitely shouldn't be wakeskater of the year...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2016, 4:53 AM Reply   
Actually, he has been at wakeskate tour stops (even this year). He just doesn't win them.

Thanks for the support grant. I can say I highly respect your opinion!