Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Gizfaw)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-12-2018, 1:27 PM Reply   
FIrst Ill start by saying i dont know much of anything about boards/ bindings. All i know is that my buddy has lent me his for the last year and it is a Ronix 142 3 stage rocker with closed toe boots. I am 6 ft 240 lb. Not a very experienced rider, I can jump wake to wake, do some other simple stuff but dont do any of the bigger tricks. I was looking at getting my own board and was told to jump to a 144-146. a local dealership had a shawn watson 143 on sale,but i figured it would still be a little small for me. I want something i can progress on but dont want to be spending buckoo bucks on some great pro board. some guidance would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2018, 3:56 PM Reply   
Being that your not the typical less than 200lbs rider I would recommed a Slingshot Nomad or Hyperlite Murray as they make oversize boards. The slingshot can go bigger than 150. Honestly, you can ride a 144-146 board but it will feel slow no matter what. If you snowboard you'll find it tiny anyways. I'm your height and about 20lbs lighter and I find more boards just feel small for a person of my/our size. There was a long thread on WW here about the Nomad and did a quick search but didn't find it. Had some great reviews from some bigger fellas.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2018-Nomad
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2018, 3:57 PM Reply   
here it is: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803299
Old     (Gizfaw)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-12-2018, 5:31 PM Reply   
thanks for that, all my searches and nothing popped up for that board.none of my dealers said anything about this board or one similar. But i just read through that thread and feel it is the perfect board for what im looking for just by riding that. where is a good place to buy online?
Old     (Gizfaw)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-12-2018, 5:56 PM Reply   
I found a used Nomad 150 on Evo for $135. Have any of you gotten used boards from this company or got a deal like this from an online dealer before? would it be worth it for me to pick this board up at this price even though it is used. I would get the 155 if not buying this one.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2018, 8:58 AM Reply   
Evo is a great place and I've bought a ton of stuff from there myself. For $ 135.00 I don't think you could really go wrong. I'd suggest the 155 as well. The more board under your feet the better you'll stay on top of the water.
Old     (Gizfaw)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-13-2018, 8:23 PM Reply   
I found a 2017 155 on amazon i am gonna go with, also found good deal on the 17' option OT bindings, It is a good deal, but is it worth it for me to spend more on some of the closed toe rads?
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       03-14-2018, 6:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizfaw View Post
I found a used Nomad 150 on Evo for $135. Have any of you gotten used boards from this company or got a deal like this from an online dealer before? would it be worth it for me to pick this board up at this price even though it is used. I would get the 155 if not buying this one.
https://blemboard.com/collections/wa...hot-nomad-blem

Blemboard sells blemished 155,160s for $249
Old     (Gizfaw)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-14-2018, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
https://blemboard.com/collections/wa...hot-nomad-blem

Blemboard sells blemished 155,160s for $249
Thank you, I will probably order those and the 16' rad binding for it if that would be a good match
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       03-15-2018, 11:16 AM Reply   
Check the Murray 150 Bro! http://www.hyperlite.com/en/product-...-murray-team-x
Simple shape, easy to ride, good pop & soft landings.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-15-2018, 11:32 AM Reply   
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-15-2018, 1:59 PM Reply   
Go with the 160.....makes it sooo much easier to ride...WAY less tiring. I'm same as you 6' 230, wake to wake some spins(too old for inverts, or just a sissy..lol) the 160 is a dream to ride.
Old     (Gizfaw)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-15-2018, 3:03 PM Reply   
I ordered the 155. I am sure it will be a great board for me. Couldn't beat the deal I got for the board and the rad bindings. I can't wait for the weather to warm up test it out. Thanks for all the insight
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-16-2018, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizfaw View Post
I ordered the 155. I am sure it will be a great board for me. Couldn't beat the deal I got for the board and the rad bindings. I can't wait for the weather to warm up test it out. Thanks for all the insight
post up when you get a few rides on it. that shape is timeless
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2018, 7:07 AM Reply   
they make a 160? ive never seen one lol..thats a tank for sure..
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-21-2018, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Being that your not the typical less than 200lbs rider I would recommed a Slingshot Nomad or Hyperlite Murray as they make oversize boards. The slingshot can go bigger than 150. Honestly, you can ride a 144-146 board but it will feel slow no matter what. If you snowboard you'll find it tiny anyways. I'm your height and about 20lbs lighter and I find more boards just feel small for a person of my/our size. There was a long thread on WW here about the Nomad and did a quick search but didn't find it. Had some great reviews from some bigger fellas.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2018-Nomad
Bad advice. Yes you are tall and 240 lbs but I wouldn't jump to the nomad. If you want to learn more tricks jump up sizes but don't go with a nomad. Let me just preface that NO I have not rode the nomad but its not even really marketed as a board for progressing.

Here is what the website says- "The Nomad was made for kicking back and enjoying the ride, and making it back to the office on Monday without a detour to see the doc. If you’re looking for a single board that everyone- from first-timers to pro riders- will enjoy, the Nomad is a no-brainer."

The murray on the other hand would be an option in the 150, Heck maybe even the 144. Tell us more about what you intend to do with the board. Even if you are a weekend warrior you can still learn more advanced tricks. I weight 200lbs, work a desk job and i ride a 142 liquid force RDX. And I rip.
Old     (Gizfaw)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-22-2018, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesNewRoman View Post
Bad advice. Yes you are tall and 240 lbs but I wouldn't jump to the nomad. If you want to learn more tricks jump up sizes but don't go with a nomad. Let me just preface that NO I have not rode the nomad but its not even really marketed as a board for progressing.

Here is what the website says- "The Nomad was made for kicking back and enjoying the ride, and making it back to the office on Monday without a detour to see the doc. If you’re looking for a single board that everyone- from first-timers to pro riders- will enjoy, the Nomad is a no-brainer."

The murray on the other hand would be an option in the 150, Heck maybe even the 144. Tell us more about what you intend to do with the board. Even if you are a weekend warrior you can still learn more advanced tricks. I weight 200lbs, work a desk job and i ride a 142 liquid force RDX. And I rip.
Well that is kinda something that draws me to the nomad.. I'm not looking to do awesome tricks as much as I'm just trying to get some small tricks down and become a smoother rider. Not hurting myself is also a key for me as I'm a lineman and if I'm hurt I can't work.. all that said I did end up ordering the 155 and got it in the other day, I am really excited for it to warm up so I can start riding it. The rad bindings seem like they will be real comfy as well. Again, I appreciate everyone's help and advice.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-23-2018, 8:53 AM Reply   
Not sure how that was bad advice there Gary? I recommended both boards. Sure, I provided a link to the Nomad thread but it was ultimately for the OP to research and decide. You're 200lbs, great, that makes riding a 142 a reasonable board choice. Try adding 40lbs and then tell me how well the 142 rides? You can ultimately ride any board size but a larger board will be better for a bigger guy being more stable and easier to deep water start.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-23-2018, 9:43 AM Reply   
This is just my opinion, but don't necessarily just look at the board length because of your height and weight. But maybe look more at the overall surface area of the board because if it's a wider board, I feel that you can get away with riding a shorter length board. I'm 5'5" and over 220lbs and ride a 137 because it's pretty wide.

I tried riding a 142 last year at the recommendation of a few riders and didn't like it as much. It actually felt more tiring trying to control the extra length & felt like the board dragged more in the water, I also couldn't get into the binding stance that I liked because the spacing was different than the 137, and the landings didn't feel any softer than the 137. Granted I never had any issues with landings before.

Eventually, I went back to my 137 and instantly felt better and rode much more consistent. I know there's a trend right now about going to bigger boards, but I don't know really why because I didn't feel like it helped my riding at all.

Finally, also look at the board characteristics that you like. Rocker style & board shape, fin set up, flex vs. non-flex, etc.

Best of luck on your board search!