Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-14-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
I know it's splitting hairs, and we don't need but could always use a little discussion/drama around here.

Should the 2.0 system be called a cable? Should the venues with 2.0 market them as cables?

In my mind, they are different, and with the investment required with an actual towered cable system, I do not feel an 2.0 should be called "Cable", or at least not market as such. That should be left to the stationary, towered cable systems. My opinion of course.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-14-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
Arent all cables stationay while in operation? Exactly. Youre looking into this way to deep buddy. What else would it be marketed as? It is still a cable "system" thats pulling a rider. Reguardless if its portable or fixed. But let the arguments begin......if its worth it to anyone else. I honestly doubt it.
Old    Chaserwaser            07-14-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
My head hurts, just keep it simple lol it is what it is
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Last time I looked We have 2 stationary towers and a cable that pulls the rider over the top of the water while hitting rails and sliders. Seems like a cable system to me.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-14-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
I actually agree with ADub... if you told there was a cable park moving in next door... my reaction would be less enthusiastic if I found out it was a 2.0 versus a standard 5-6 tower system.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
I can see the point. Maybe if there was a term for it, like micro-cable.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-14-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Just a 2.0 cable system mention should be enough to distinguish it apart . Also when I'm riding the cable is not stationary!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-14-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
So now we are going to have
Wakeboarding
Cableboarding
Systemboarding..... oh boy.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
iMac>iPad>iPod

Oven>Microwave>Toaster

Cable Park>System 2.0>Winch

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-14-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
iMac>iPad>iPod

Oven>Microwave>Toaster

Cable Park>System 2.0>Winch

took me a minute, but that's a good analogy
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-14-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
and just like that analogy none of them is better or worse, just depends what you feel like eating!
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
Its the same thing.

Saying its not is like saying that riding behind a small wake boat is not wakeboarding.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2010, 11:28 PM Reply   
this got me thinking just a bit on a tangent if you would allow me so..

what about the li'l bro -or- "bro in a box"
it sets up differently and works a little differently than the 2.0
the way it appears to operate makes me wonder if 2 bro in a box could not be purchased to make a 4 tower cable system?
*this is all just thought. i have never even rode cable or 2.0, or bro in a box (just a winch is the closest thing)

even if multiple bro-in-a-box could not be set up this way as is, we could not be far off from making a "portable" multi-tower system. but on the other hand. if going through the trouble of making a multi towered one, why not do it right with full sized true towers.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2010, 4:15 AM Reply   
my head hurts. i cant believe this is still going on.
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-15-2010, 11:15 PM Reply   
ok so wat runs between the 2 towers?

a cable...

what runs around a cable park?

a cable...

ur getting towed around by a cable y would u not call it a cable....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-16-2010, 6:04 AM Reply   
not so much the definition, of course you're getting pulled by a cable, and there are towers. To me, "Cable" is a 6 person towing capable, permanent structure. That's because that was the only thing cable was until a couple years ago. Now with System 2.0, you can have 2 people go on a removable structure. Yes, it's getting pulled, but it's like calling a hotel pool a waterpark. Can't accommodate as many people, and it just doesn't seem as major scale. To market things as the first cable in a state, a cable competition, etc, when they're System 2.0's, I think is a slap in the face to those that actually invested in a REAL Rixen cable style system, and can accommodate 3x the amount of riders.

We all have our opinions, and if this makes your head spin then don't read it, sorry. Like Luker said, if you tell me we're going to a cable, I expect a Cable. The waterpark style, not the hotel/backyard pool style.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Kinda sounds like slalom skiers arguing about Zero Off versus Perfect Pass. Slightly entertaining banter on the internet, but it contributes nothing to the sport or actual performance.

Disclaimer: I have a 2.0 in by backyard.
Old     (cramm)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-16-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
if someone says lets go ride the cable you can always ask if it is a "real cable" or a 2.0
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4m0 View Post
For the same reason you wouldn't call a Bayliner a Wakeboard boat although people wakeboard behind it. My apologies to Bayliner owners. It was the first name that came to mind.
Old     (Joe_Gaz)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4m0 View Post
ok so wat runs between the 2 towers?

a cable...

what runs around a cable park?

a cable...

So if I attach a cable to my boat, what should I call it? I'm being towed around by a cable.

System 2.0 is chosen for a marketing approach and sets it apart.