Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
In keeping in kind with the its nearly summer and outdoor living theme I thought I'd give a quick review of some new outdoor speakers. My old cheapy KLH outdoors were crapping out so I figured it was time to upgrade. I went down to Best Buy to checkout their offerings. I listened to the Klipsche, Bose and Boston Acoustic and was landing on the Klipsche when the salesman said why don't we check the "Mag room" this is their higher end product display room. Long story short they played some AW5500 from Difinitive Technology. They were hands down superior sound quality than the others. They were certainly more money at $200 a piece but well worth the extra money.

--5-1/4 inch active driver pressure coupled to a 5 x 8 inch racetrack-shaped Planar Low Bass Radiator has total bass radiating area greater than an 8 inch woofer to belt out powerful bass that fills outdoor areas with rich big speaker sound--

When I got them home and hooked them up I was just as impressed if not more so than in the controlled environment of the Mag Room. They are extremely crisp and accurate with some nice warm bass resonance. If you're in the market I highly recommend giving them a listen.
Attached Images

Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-23-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
I got the Klipshe 7 years ago and I've been very happy with them. They sound great and they aren't showing any signs of wear from being outside the whole time including winters.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
I'm a Niles Audio fan. I picked up a set of (4 outdoor speakers) for $100 on C-list a few years back. 2 of them were book shelf sized like the ones you posted and the other 2 were larger book shelf sized. I tested both and was very happy with the sound of both. The larger ones obviously sounded deeper and if I wasn't going to run a outdoor sub witch i did a (velodine 10) andother C-list Item $100 I would have gone with the larger ones. The small ones were pretty amazing. I paired the speakers with a Niles Amp another clist item $80 and have been super happy. It's great to build a pumpin outdoor system but I had to take into account my Neighbors, with how much sound carry's I rarely turn it up above idle and its still more then enough. And I'm still worried I'm disturbing my neighbors. So my advice is if you don't have Neighbors Go for it Spend the money get after it but If you do then I would say don't waste your money on crazy loud speakers that your never gonna crank up. I have like $300 into myn and its seems like way over kill. IMO Just get a system that gives you some sound and im sure that's they way you will use it most of the time and you will be happy. Also look into a Long Range blue tooth reciever that you can plug into you system. That way you can be walking around the house and backyard and control your music threw the phone. its great to be able to turn it up or down from your phone in your pocket.
One last bit of advice. Get some covers for your outdoor speakers. I picked up some covers from Jim at Speakersox.com the very same ones people use to cove your tower speakers. if your speakers are in direct weather like rain you will notice with the covers on and when they get wet it sounds like the tweeters are muffled but its a small price to pay to keep them like new
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2014, 12:09 PM Reply   
I did go add a blue tooth receiver but I only get 33' which is fine most the time. I'm planning on adding a second one on my patio.

Its true I certainly don't get to crank these up often but I can during the day as there is no one behind me and my neighbors are all pretty use to my music being up a bit.

Lucky find on all the Niles equipment. That's good stuff.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-28-2014, 10:04 PM Reply   
Outdoor speakers are highly varied by the specific application. I have a big noisy backyard less than a mile from the freeway so I need loud speakers more than SQ speakers. I actually have some old Electrovoice Evid 6.2 speakers that used to be on my wakeboard tower. I also have two pairs of the Kicker horn loaded outdoor speakers I picked up at a Costco special event, some random rock speakers, and lastly some old Advent speakers. I use different speakers in different applications. I will also probably add a generously powered slot ported 12" sub to the mix nested in a corner close to the house so it projects well. When it comes to outdoor speakers they are like tower speakers. More is more.