Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-23-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
I know this sounds bad, but I can't find the grease nipple for my trailer bearings. Its a Zieman trailer, the sticker at the front of the trailer says it has Bearing Buddies, but it lies. Upon research, these are definitely not Bearing Buddies. Anyone have the same type? That silver ring in the middle around the plastic center is spring loaded and pushes in. I tried to pry the center cap out but didn't have any luck and didn't want to wreck anything. I obviously haven't greased them since I bought the boat in '09 and don't want push my luck any further. As far as I know they are still fine though, and I'll keep a close eye on them in the mean time. All the Zieman manual says is to refer to the information provided in the Bearing Buddy axle booklet, which I obviously don'y have. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
If there's no notch for a flathead screwdriver or something like it to pry the cover off, then maybe those are oil bath hubs instead.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-23-2011, 8:57 PM Reply   
those are the oil bath. take the wheel off and there is an allen screw on top. take out and fill if needed.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-24-2011, 4:57 AM Reply   
Thanks. Just add regular oil?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-24-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
Double check, but I think you need to use HD 30 weight oil in the oil bath hubs.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-24-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Fred - I had the same trailer/hubs. I used gear oil in my last oil bath hubs and used it again here with no issue. HOWEVER - I have since retired that trailer for an aluminum one.

I wasn't sure who made them either. Call Ziemann. 909-873-0061

http://www.zieman.com/index.php?opti...113&Itemid=122
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-24-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'll tend to them this weekend. Whatever oil I use, I'll probably use synthetic. I'm not sure which is better, oil or grease, but it sucks to have to take off the wheels to service them. No biggie though, I'm set up with all the right tools to make it a quick and easy job. I got lots of 5W30 synthetic left over from my vehicle's oil changes I can use up.