Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-28-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
I was just thinking the past few days.
I predict that 4 hole insert mounting will be the next option provided to wakeboarders. Just as you can get CT or open toe boots from any company now, i expect that options will be provided for 4 hole mounting.

Many of the boots now are easily removable from the base plate and are displayed as such. So i don't see it being a difficult thing to provide a four hole plate and a traditional plate in the same box just as slingshot does currently.

The whole flex industry has pointed out that it may not be such a great idea to have such large ridged spots in the board (especially with the large plates that hold a row of inserts)

Already it looks like at least one other company will be providing options for both mounting styles, Co.Wake. from the looks of the recent proto pic on alliance.

Any thoughts comments, agree, disagree?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
I don't care how the binding is attached to the board, as long as heel and toe flex are minimized and the connection method is simple, reliable and durable.

Other then flex boards I can't really see the need to worry about the insert plates interfering with the boards performance, and after riding the O'Brien FLX line, I'm not sure if it's even an issue with flex boards.

Just my .02
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-29-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have a Ronix Covenant and I can flex that a ton, but I just ordered an 07 Slingshot Recoil so I am anxious to see if there is much of a difference between the two.

I have seen he video of the Slingshot team at the Gravity Research Center and it seems that the SS actually flexes a lot more.
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-29-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
No doubt 4 hole inserts (a la snowboards) would provide a stronger more rigid lockdown of your bindings. Plus it will likely stop so much insert pop outs. I'm all for it.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-29-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Is that why Burton is going back to a two hole?

With the narrower plates now like CWB's 6 plate, the heel and toe rise is gone. Four hole is unnecessary.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-29-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
I also have grown to love the look of a boot attached to the board with no plates and bolts sticking out the sides.

J Jakober,
is the inserts on the obrien flex line placed individually or are they placed in a row of four or so to a plate within the board. once a binding is attached to a row of inserts then the ridged spot becomes over a foot long. I have a hard time imagining that individually laid inserts and/or a 4 hole patern would not work better. I have seen the vid you posted of the flex of the R5 (or local i forget) and would say that it looks as if it is bending pretty fluidly.
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-29-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
From what i can see, burton is using the "ics". Which is the slider system of forum glory. Many of those broke. Which is why forum discontinued. And simple physics will show, that with 4 bolts holding down your bindings there will be less stress induced per bolt. Therfore likely creating less insert pops and a stronger hold on the bindings. Maybe i'm wrong who knows. 4 bolt is tried and true in snowboarding, why not wakeboarding.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-29-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
The inserts in the O'Brien Flx line are mounted in a plastic block in groups of 3.

I think someone already mentioned that most manufacturers are going to be using a smaller 6" plate instead of the now standard 8" plate. I think this will improve the base stiffness, but I'm not sure what affect it will have on the boards flex. Remember that this discussion is only relevant when talking about Flex style boards. I don't think a conventional wakeboard flex’s enough for it to matter.

Here is a test:

Using a Slingshot rider, mount some Slingshot boots using the 4 hole system on a Slingshot board and set it up so he couldn't tell how the bindings were mounted, then let him ride it. Now take the same boots and use the adapter plate to mount them on the same board using the old-school method, again so he can't tell how they are mounted, then let him ride it.

I don't think he would be able to tell any difference in the flex characteristics of the board.

Now how can we pull this test off?
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-29-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
burton ics is totally legit. the whole slider system didnt come from forum. it was invented and sold under the revalation brand. jp, j jones, mitch nelson, jf pelchat and more..... i think mid 90's.

forums system was wack. forum didnt discontinue the slider..... burton did when they purchased forum.

the main reason for the increased marketing of ics is the 3 hole pattern patent is up after 20 years and no other brands may use the technology if they choose. this is how i understand it.

i am all for 4 holes in wakeboarding.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-30-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
the 4 hole on my SS is way more of a locked down feel than anything I've ever used in my life.

no plates makes it look badass too
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-30-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Nick on one thing, the no plate look does look sweet
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-30-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
i guess that is why many boots are being displayed as such ehh... No plates attached.

thanx for the response Jakober. I was bettin' on you responding with something that would support the flex thing (though it is a separate topic by degrees)

I give the wake industry 2 years, and the majority of the companies will have options for both... just like CT took about 2 years to become an option provided by all. my 2 cent prediction anyway
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-30-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Looks like this has been discussed for quite some time now...Kybool demands satisfaction.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/185002.html
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-30-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
no plates me less weight too...

my shanes were light untill i added plates, then they were tanks
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-30-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
BCH,

ironically enough you reminded me of another similarity between Closed toe and what is (and possibly will) happen with four hole... can't believe i missed it.

Full tilt had the sub rosa bindings way back before the shanes, but they did not last long on the market and did not catch on. 4 hole was used before and did not prove to be a lasting success, but now both (closed toe and four hole mounts) are more perfected and being accepted widely