Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-27-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
from another thread in NON wakeboard discussion guys talked ab. other hobbies they do besides board...i saw a lot of dudes played basketball as one of their other main hobbies. I played high school ball, and that is prob my other favorite hobby besides riding.

It got me thinking how a lot of basketball/wakeboarding kind of go hand in hand..360 spins, "no look" passes, the agility and limber-ness involved, as well as the overall athletesism, ect.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this thread is for some advice, with my basketball background, everytime i spin i look upwards (like im trying to find the hoop) and of course that leads me with some bad crashes when I should be looking down to find my spot to stick the landing. My problem is, everytime i go up for a 3 i'll rotate perfectly, hell it even looks like i know what im doing, but then on my approach to landing i loose everything and feel just fall like an idiot..i need some advice on how to train myself to stop looking up when i go for a spin, and remember to look down..what types of "drills" do you guys to to keep yourself on point..?????

thanks in advance...I NEED to land my 3 this summer!
Old     (the_love_muscle)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-27-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
Don't look up or down. Keep your head level. Spot the landing with your eyes if you need to. As far as basketball and wakeboarding goes... I'll have to disagree with you. Maybe Spud Web would prove me wrong, but most b-ball players have a very high center of gravity which isn't optimal for wakeboarding. That's why you see so many ex-gymnists as wakeboarders. Of course there are exceptions.
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
most common problem with 3's...be patient to spin! You have to pop first like a normal wake jump, then pull the handle to initiate the spin. Spinning too early throws you off axis and usually results in a face plant.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-27-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
russell,
i agree with you, and you're prob more right than me. I guess in my case (point gaurd) im only 5'10 and look more like a gymnast/wrestler than I do a hooper. I spose I was thinking more along the agility/limberness...thanks for the tip travis, I really hope i can start landing that thing this summer!
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-28-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Jake

Learn good 180's FIRST. Then come over and I'll getcha landin that 3...