Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-25-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1660

There is only one park in Germany for left foot forward riders and now we are getting one in TAMPA. I can't describe how excited I am.
Here is the website of the location:

and here is a picture of their lake setup!
Upload
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-25-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
So, would that mean that a majority of cable riders are goofy footed due to the way the parks are built?
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-25-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
Hmmm...I'm not sure if it's true that the majority of cable riders are goofy. I know plenty of left foot forward wakeboarders who ride cable, including myself!

Nevertheless, I'm stoked they're building a clockwise cable! It'll be so weird doing air tricks to the outside!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-25-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
its about time!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-25-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
I was meaning people that learned on a cable and don't ride behind a boat... Probably not a very big group of riders. But yeah, I guess natural is called natural for a reason.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-25-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
are they still digging the cable lake off to the left of the lakes in the photo?
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-25-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
I see what you mean, Jos. You may have a point, however, I have to say I learned to wakeboard on the cable without any previous board experience. I just knew off the bat I was more comfortable left foot forward. Hmmmm...this would make an interesting study, the influences of nature vs. nurture in determining a rider's dominant stance (I'm such a dork).
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-25-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Tim, not sure. I'm going to drive to odub on tuesday and i'll stop by the site on the way up to check it out
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-25-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
I would really like to believe that this website (www.tampawaterplex.com) is totally unaffiliated with the cable park that everyone is talking about in this thread... If they are that slow at establishing a real website, I can't imagine how much longer the cable park will be.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-25-2008, 11:25 PM Reply   
Curt: www.mcwatersports.com

(Message edited by kristian on May 25, 2008)
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-26-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
ok im a newb but this is going in close to my house so im sure i will go and check it out. but whats the deal with clockwise compared to counterclockwise? does this mean you cant ride it right foot forward? i have never been on a cable so i just dont understand. thanx
Old    mendo247            05-26-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
Yeha im a little lost also.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-26-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
A cable rider will be able to give you the pros/cons of the direction, but any rider can ride any cable. It is just a matter of which edge (heelside vs. toeside) you are on when you are on the outside of a turn.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
With a counter clockwise cable it is a lot easier for a right foot forward to cut outside into the turns, load the line and throw big tricks on there healside edge. With the clockwise running cable it will be easier for a left foot forward riders to do the same. I hope this helps.

I also heard it is opening June 14th. Not sure if it's true or not.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-26-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
Richard and Kevin,
The main company that makes the cable systems (basically the only company) has all of their cables travel counter clockwise. Basically when you are on the dock, you take off going Right (instead of left) down the lake. When you come around the corners, there is a very strong whipping effect that makes it difficult for people learning that are left foot forward to make the turn because they have to be on a hard toeside edge (which they most likely have a very hard time doing) to make it around the corner. When you are right foot forward you also get to use the corners to do Air tricks. The advantage can best be described as a surfer who is regular competing against a goofy surfer on a right wave, the regular surfer has the advantage almost always in competition. This analogy is also good though in the fact that if you are good enough, it doesn't matter if you are right or left foot forward because you can learn all your tricks switch.

I've been riding cable for about 8 years now and I'm just excited to see what its like to get to ride and do air tricks around the corner regular. I generally ride around the cable switch (which has greatly improved my riding over the years) but I'm excited to get to ride around it the other way. If you goto a cable park you will see that the good kids pretty much dont have a switch and regular. They learn how to hit all of the obstacles both ways which is why some of the guys hitting the pro tour right now are becoming so successful ie Adam, Jimmy, Nicola, Nick Davies etc..
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-26-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
CJ,
The North Ft. Myers park opens June 14th, and that will be run in the traditional counterclockwise direction. Ryan Doyle was in charge of designing all of the obstacles and I don't know if you have seen the Projects or the Phillipines park but it is going to be SICK
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-26-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
You can ride with either foot forward on either type of cable. The reason they say a counter clockwise cable is for goofy riders and a clockwise cable is for regular riders is that it is typically easier for beginners. If you're learning to wakeboard it's easier to heel edge all the way around the lake rather than toe edge. So, for example, if you're goofy you would heel edge around the corners on a counter clockwise cable. For more advanced riders who are learning air tricks, once again it is more natural to learn the load and release to the outside of the cable than to the inside. However, really, direction doesn't matter once you hit a certain level. At the Texas Ski Ranch there are riders throwing airtricks (both toeside and heelside) to the inside and outside of the cable with both their dominant foot forward and switch. My boyfriend Josh, who rides in all the pro cable comps, couldn't really even tell you which stance is dominant for him any more.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Kyle, Do you have a date for the Tampa park?

Yea, I know the projects and Doyle pretty well. One of my best friends runs his ski school on lakes 1 and 2 at the projects. About 4 years ago when I lived in Orlando I would go out and wakeskate with Doyle and BT. I have some sick footage of the 2 of them riding a midnight with our truck lights lighting lake 2. I haven't talked to those guys in years it's good to see both of them blowing up.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-26-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
CJ, about a year
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-26-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Thats sick glad to finally see a park go that direction. Where exactly in tampa really how far drive from Deland?
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
I will drive the hour there to ride instead of the 10min to get to OWC. I hate going and riding goofy all the time
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-27-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
I'm originally from Ft Myers and have family there. My niece lives only a couple miles from the N. Ft Myers cable location. I can't wait to go down there and give it a go. Kyle, do you know if that's a pretty firm date? I hope the obstacles are killer like you say.
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-27-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
learn to ride switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-27-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
So are they taking the existing Ski McCormick's place and making it a cable park? I hope for the boat lake they dig it much deeper than their existing lakes. I would be concerned that they will not. The lake is about 6 feet deep and regardless of the boat, will not throw much of a wake.

This is a very good location for those in the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area. John, this is more than a couple of miles from Ft Myeers, unless there is another park you are talking about.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-27-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
I think they're using the lakes they could never do anything with but trick... it has said that it will have a newer cheap version that just goes up and back, not a circle. I don't exactly get everything about that, but it sounds like it will open more opportunities for smaller bodies of water.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-27-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Skubz,

There is a park opening down south.

www.southernboarder.net
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-27-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
that would be awesome, I'd love to actually be able to do air tricks to the outside of the cable.....
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
There is a clockwise cable park in Toulouse, France. Never heard of such in Germany. And I think pro-riders learn both regular and switch because of the rules not because of the cable. If you are not riding both side you get low points on a competition. It is pretty progressive scoring system now in cable riding, you should be really all around rider to get high points. No more "best trick" guys around...
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-27-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Just to make sure no one is confused...

THIS IS NOT TAMPA WATERPLEX... that might never get off the ground!!

This is a seperate Cable!! Can't Wait
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-27-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Curt: McCormick is a ski school. They're adding a cable.

(Message edited by kristian on May 27, 2008)
Old     (dmak)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
The park in Ft. Myers is open now to just the family and friends. It will be open to the public in a month. Atleast thats what i've heard from a pretty reliable source who's been up there to ride.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-27-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
this was a famous ski school called McCormicks. they train ski jumpers, slalom people, and stuff like that. i went to a wakeboard camp there a few years ago. i guess now they are becoming more wakeboarding than skiing, idk havent been there in awhile.
it wasnt purpose dug to be a cable park, its been there for years and im glad theyre transforming it! i live in tampa and this place is like 45 minutes away!!!!!!!
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-27-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
I don't believe that Tampa Waterplex exists.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-27-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
Good for McCormicks! Can't wait to ride there... Thanks for the clarification.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-27-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
they probly havent updated that part of the website in awhile. used to be a ski instructional school. i think its home to a few ski and slalom record holders.

and im regular!!!!! hehe
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-28-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
The Ft. Myers cable is already up and running, it just hasn't had the official opening yet
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
McCormicks is probably just adding it to their other lakes. The cable to the middle lake and the up and back to the small one. The world jump record was just set there last year. That is the grossest water you have ever seen, straight green...
the down and back seems like a cool thing

Old     (jayscue)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
McCormicks location has been moving A LOT of dirt over the last few months. It's clear they are digging a new lake or making existing ones deeper. From what I can tell, the lakes being worked on are the ones on the left (west side). The dirt is also being placed on site making a way for a building pad (no concrete yet). They had a lot of dump truck activity recently. Drove by there this morning on way to work matter of fact.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-29-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
I really hope they make at least one lake deeper. I also hope they set the cable park up for wakeboarders. This place has never been catered to wakeboarders. It definitely is a place for skiiers. I hope this is changing, it would be nice for the Tampa area.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-30-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Hey skubz man what it is? I was at McCormicks in February and they had piles of dirt every where so something is going on. However as I was talking to Mike he said they were just making the lakes deeper and never mentioned cable park. Maybe it was a secret. But they did dig those lakes out for sure.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the official open date?
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-30-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
its definately too early to tell the date.
and A dub, i cant see my hand in that water if its only 6 inches under the deep.

(possible hijack) - in other tampa related news, how about the adrenalina store in international mall with the flow rider!!!! ill definately be there everyday!
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
moving to tampa in the fall. so pumped for the park, and now a flowrider!?!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
Adrenalina is locate at the Florida Mall which is near OWC.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-31-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
there is an adrenalina being built at the international mall in tampa also