Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (acrull)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-02-2015, 11:15 AM Reply   
I am looking at possibly purchasing a 09 Supra Sunsport 22V. I really don't know anything about the sunsport models so i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? do they have the same hull as the 22V launch? Do they have just as good as wake and size as the 22V launch?
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-02-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
I had an 08 Supra Sunsport, put 255 hours on that boat, same hull. In 09 they did improve the ballast pumps to Johnson reversibles which is a huge plus. The reason I got rid of that boat is because the wakeboard wake at lower speeds is near impossible to clean up. Even at 23+ mph the port side always seemed to wash out and require a lot of weight in the port locker to help this problem. The boat is also super weight sensitive side to side when wakeboarding. The sunsport lacks the ability to put a lot of bow weight in the boat, you will have a small 400 lb bag in the center locker and rear ski locker bags. The 22SSV has the larger bow area for the bigger bag which I heard makes a big difference in the size of the wakeboard wake. The bow also sits very low in the water with little freeboard and is super easy to take a roller over it. The surf wave on it was not bad, I never really focused on it much, I used a 750 lb locker bag and a 400 on the seat. Its a nice boat, I really enjoyed it, relatively problem free, but if you are looking for a boat that will provide a clean wakeboard wake for all levels of riders at different speeds I would encourage you to keep looking. This is why Skiers Choice redesigned the entire hull and came out with the SC.

And to answer your question, yes same hull on both boats, bow ballast capacity is the main difference between the SSV and Sunsport. Sunsport has the walk thru bow and 22SSV has the playpen.

Last edited by fman; 05-02-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-02-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
The wake on the 08 can get huge, but as was state above, if you weight it heavily, it just does not start to clean up until you hit 22.5 or so. If you let a little weight out, you can run a little slower and still have a nice big wake.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-02-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
Agreed with the others above. That boat honestly has one of the biggest wakes I have ever seen when weighted properly. The boat can be sensitive side to side, but if you get that all figured out you will dig the wake. Steep and big. You do have to ride at about 23.5-24.5 when loaded down. Interior quality and layout is good. New ballast pumps in 09' as Travis said. The boat will surf pretty well. Big wave, but just a slightly shorter pocket than some of the modern day surf system boats. It is a great boat...
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-02-2015, 2:27 PM Reply   
Lots of very good info here. If you don't mind running a bag or multiple bags in the walkway way where the playpen normally is you should be fine. Another thing to mention is you will most likely have to change the prop to run more weight. The sunsports rarely came with a wake prop or high alt prop.