Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (aryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-09-2015, 8:24 PM Reply   
I'm trying to pick up a wake boarding boat this summer (2-4 weeks from now) and found a very clean looking 2006 moomba outback for under 25k. The guy who is selling it has it owns a marine shop and picked it up from a customer who left it outside in the winter and let the block crack. The boat has about 350 hours prior to the engine swap, and the heater core was replaced as well. The marine shop only has 5 yelp ratings but theyre all 4-5 stars.

Replaced motors scare me, though I haven't personally had any dealings with them in a car or boat. Thoughts or anecdotes or advice of what to look for? I'm supposed to go take it out this week.
Old     (Valleywine)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-09-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
I bought my boat with a new long block last spring. The boat had 175 hrs and the motor had 4-5 hrs. I was careful for the first 20 hrs then ran it like normal with no problems. Had the oil changed at 20 hrs then all of the fluids at seasons end. I currently have 210 hrs (35 hrs on motor) with no issues. You shouldn't be afraid as long as you know what happened and make sure it was done right. Let the shop do the fluids for the first couple of times so they can keep an eye on it. This will also keep you in front of them. There should be paperwork if they used a crate engine or long block. I even have an 18 month warranty. If its a good shop, no worries.
Old     (aryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-09-2015, 8:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleywine View Post
I bought my boat with a new long block last spring. The boat had 175 hrs and the motor had 4-5 hrs. I was careful for the first 20 hrs then ran it like normal with no problems. Had the oil changed at 20 hrs then all of the fluids at seasons end. I currently have 210 hrs (35 hrs on motor) with no issues. You shouldn't be afraid as long as you know what happened and make sure it was done right. Let the shop do the fluids for the first couple of times so they can keep an eye on it. This will also keep you in front of them. There should be paperwork if they used a crate engine or long block. I even have an 18 month warranty. If its a good shop, no worries.
good to know. the block cracked when it wasn't winterized 2 seasons ago. He's since put about 10-15 hours on the motor with no issues - but of course he's trying to sell it. The boat looks to be in pristine condition, so I assume it's been well maintained other than that big mistake.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-10-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Which model is it. There is a long post about another 06 Moombs on here. Consensus was nice ones were only worth high teens. That was for an outback V.