Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (DylanSA)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-06-2011, 6:15 AM Reply   
hey guys,

just wanted to know if anyone out there knows how to properly weight a 230.
we rode one on the weekend but no matter what happened it seemed to crumble.

we tried weighting the front heavily, but nothing changed. we tried weighting the back heavily, but again it continued to crumble.

any suggestions on how to set up a 230 with ballast?

it would be much appreciated.

D
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
Inherant characteristic of the boat, the wake is never clean. It seems to be a major complaint of that boat. Maybe someone has it dialed but dont be suprised if you cant.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-06-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
This issue is one of the reasons I'm in an Axis this year as opposed to in another 230. The 210 is absolutely money, but the 230 wake washes and is inconsistent when a bunch of weight is thrown in the boat. 75% of the time, It didn't bother me that much because I typically rode with factory ballast and only a sac or two in the middle of the boat. When the wake is clean, it's awesome and is a really fun shape and a nice width, but when you try to slam that boat, you run into problems. My problem is that a bunch of my friends are really good riders and want that monster wake everytime they ride. I hated the fact that, when they wanted to ride, we always ended up behind my friend's 210 or behind an Axis A22.

The simple fact is that the 230 was a crossover boat to begin with when it came out in '07. People realized that you could get a really nice wake with factory ballast and with adding a sac or two or a few people. The boat became much more marketable when it was redesignated as a flagship wakeboat. People don't pay $100k for a crossover, they pay $100k for either a core wakeboard boat or for some monster party/family cruiser posing as a wakeboard boat - like an x-45, 55, 80.

I loved my 230's, except for the price, washy slammed wake issue, and the erratic speed control system. The quality of nautique's boats is tip top and the resale is really really good. I had no major problems with the '08, '09, and '10 230's that I owned. I just wish that Nautiuqe would go ahead and redesign the 230 hull to address some of the washing issues. Price increases would be more justified in my mind if they were driven by r&d with an eye towards wake and wave.

IMHO, a flagship wakeboat should produce the BEST wake - slammed or not - in your lineup.
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-06-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
I added extra weight to my 2010 230 all last summer. The issue with this boat has nothing to do with the amount of weight you put in but where you place it. My reco is to run factory and add a 500-750 bow sac but then add as much weight as you want in the center of the boat.

My plan this year is to put a 750lb and 400lb in the center walk way.

Its about side to side weight distribution. If one person moves from one side to the other the wake can wash over. After the boat is weighted the way you want it and see the wake washing over ask people to move and this will provide you a killer wake.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-06-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
The other problem I had with my 230 is when I tried to put weight in just the bow and center like Heath described, the wake would clean up when a rider cut out away from the boat and was holding tension on the line, but when the rider would let the line tension go slack and then cut back towards the wake, the wake on that side of the boat would wash right before the rider hit it.

Perhaps I was doing something wrong. I couldn't get it figured out.
Old     (DylanSA)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-06-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Chattwake, we had the same problem, all the riders were pulling the boat around and destroying the wake for themselves.

Heath, that idea about the weight in the center could work out well, we tried that and it ended up cleaning up a bit, but nevertheless, we couldn't get it to actually stop crumbling. even with only stock ballast.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-07-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
When weighting the 230 heavy it likes the weight mid ship. When we have a buddy training for Nationals or worlds we weight pretty heavy. I never run sacks in the rear lockers. We run Factory ballast full, 550 in ski locker, 400 in floor center, and 1 or 2 400's bow. I have another buddy that weights his heavier than this all the time and his stays clean, but they all ride 24.5. This is what we would run with very few people in the boat and only do it like twice a season. With this much weight you have to ride like 24-24.5 to keep it clean and consistent. When we have five or six people in the boat I run factory, 550 locker sac, and 400 in bow. Works great for me and I ride at 23-23.5.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-07-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
and a 2011 230 boat show price is 93 here in Orlando with no shipping to speak of....??? so they take 85 and the wake is a crumbler ??? I hear that the wake can be awesome but sensitive especially with wind....what a sad story for that kind of $$
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-07-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
SPEED UP - itll clean up.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-07-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
You really can't judge the wake until you ride it properly weighted at the right speed. I rode my old 210 at 21.5 and ride the 230 at 23-23.5 depending on weight.
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-07-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
This is honestly THE BEST way to weight it. My wake is giant and most importantly CLEAN.

750's in the back two storage compartments

Two 550's in the back part of the boat( like in front of where the seat goes)

A 350 in the aisle nest to the drivers seat to the front of the boat

Last a 1000 lbs. triangle bow bag

I ride at 24.8 and 82.5 and it is absolutley PERFECT even in the wind. Seriously weight it this way and you will be stoked you did.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-07-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by robholihan View Post
This is honestly THE BEST way to weight it. My wake is giant and most importantly CLEAN.

750's in the back two storage compartments

Two 550's in the back part of the boat( like in front of where the seat goes)

A 350 in the aisle nest to the drivers seat to the front of the boat

Last a 1000 lbs. triangle bow bag

I ride at 24.8 and 82.5 and it is absolutley PERFECT even in the wind. Seriously weight it this way and you will be stoked you did.
holy cow, thats nearly 4000 lbs of water-weight!!! dude i gotta see a pick of that wake with that weight
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-07-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Haha it's pretty much knee high
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-07-2011, 8:25 PM Reply   
i'll have a picture of it up by friday
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-07-2011, 9:03 PM Reply   
gnar gnar! i can somewhat picture the beauty, but seeing is believing
Old    mmcorrectax            03-10-2011, 7:07 AM Reply   
I want Colin to jump on this thread. The boat can be as slammed as possible and still get on plane and producing a killer wake. It is sensitive, but like stated earlier, just make sure your weight is even. Here is a pic...
Attached Images

Old    mmcorrectax            03-10-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
JD has the wake the most dialed out of anybody...They are using like 6,000LBS of weight.
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-14-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Sorry guys i didnt make it out my boat as soon as i thought but i will have a picture up by tonight
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-14-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
The other problem I had with my 230 is when I tried to put weight in just the bow and center like Heath described, the wake would clean up when a rider cut out away from the boat and was holding tension on the line, but when the rider would let the line tension go slack and then cut back towards the wake, the wake on that side of the boat would wash right before the rider hit it.

Perhaps I was doing something wrong. I couldn't get it figured out.
---------------
you have to counter steer when driving this boat. when the rider starts to cut in, just barely bump the wheel to the rider during his setup. I never hit a washy wake behind mine.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-14-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
^^^^^ counter steering into the rider eh? that sounds like the same issue with the older narrow SAN 210s. a good way to tell if the rider is pulling the boat that severly is to look in the rear view (while driving) and watch your prop trail (sorry im blanking out on the actual name but its white wash churned from the prop turbulance) if you see a long straight line then your counter steering and steering in general is good. but if its curved or has jagged movements (IE rider pulling boat) then youll want to work on your driving habits. your trail never lies
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-15-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attac...1&d=1300229848

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attac...1&d=1300229848
Attached Images

Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-15-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
^ Thats what my wake looks like
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2011, 4:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcorrectax View Post
I want Colin to jump on this thread. The boat can be as slammed as possible and still get on plane and producing a killer wake. It is sensitive, but like stated earlier, just make sure your weight is even. Here is a pic...
Colin and I had the 230 weighted nearly identical to what Hooligan does. We tried many different setups, and this is the one that seemed to be the best.

In addition to factory ballast we put:
750's in each rear locker
500 in the back of the cabin, in front of the rear seat
700 in the walk way
1100 bow triangle

Ride between 82.5-85 feet @ 25-26 mph (give or take a few tenths...can't quite remember exactly, but will tell you in a few weeks).

This summer we will probably be putting an additional 750 pound sack on the floor of the cabin (and possibly switch out the 500 in front of the back seat for a 750), and also an integrated bow sac up under the bow seats (between 350-700 pounds, depending on how full we can get it). You definitely need to make sure the wake is evenly distributed side to side.

Last edited by ironj32; 03-16-2011 at 4:30 AM.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-16-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
Whats up Robby? Saw on TBS that you landed a crow mobe! Sick!
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-16-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
Haha thanks man!! How've you been?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
Doing good...gettin my little girl ready to hopefully try some skis this summer! She just turned two. Hope you have a great season, tell the boys at TBS I said hey. Maybe I'll get down there in the fall...
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-17-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
Haha will do! Congrats on the new addition to the family too (Little late i know haha)!