Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (WillyFire)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-17-2017, 1:16 PM Reply   
Which would you choose and why if price was the same and everything else pretty much equal like hours and condition.

Avalanche is storm 3 series so has all ballasts with no cruise. Black scorpion

MB also has ballasts and has gps pp. pcm 6.0 closed cooled 2 speed tranny
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       11-17-2017, 7:35 PM Reply   
Didn't those 2 speed tranny's have issues and why they did away with them? It was a good concept, just don't think it worked well in real world application, BUT, I don't know much about MB since not many on East Coast. I know Avy is a great surf boat and that engine is known to be reliable when taken care of. Course the PCM 6.0 is too.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-18-2017, 8:26 PM Reply   
Avalanche. Easy to set up for surf and the wave is nice. The MB is a good boat but doesn't it's much more difficult to attain a decent wave. Personally I don't think those older PCMs are any better than the Black Scorpions of that era.

Both boats will benefit from a suck gate like a Nauticurl. However, there is an easy asymmetrical wakeplate mod for the Centurions that can really make the goofy wave great.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-19-2017, 3:01 AM Reply   
THat 2 speed tranny in the mb was not good. Boat also handled like crap.

The Centurion hands down . Wakes are awesome , ride is excellent , and the engine is solid . One of the best factory wakes at that time . The only issue was the vinyl . But that was pretty much every boat in that era due to the new epa standards . Storm 3 usually includes the hydraulic bennet tab. If it doesn’t have that add it immediately. The Manual tab was awful . Centurion all day long in this case
Old     (WillyFire)      Join Date: Sep 2017       11-19-2017, 8:39 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. Anymore opinions? The centurion has only the manual wake plate. Plus without perfect pass which I can live with but your drivers will need to really be nice for them.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-19-2017, 2:48 PM Reply   
First think I'd do with the Avy is get a wake shaper with a Nauticurl and see how your wakes (particularly goofy) shape up. Your port wave should be great as is. The Nauticurl should help the goofy side. If the goofy needs a little more work then an asymmetrical wakeplate can be fitted. A lot of folks on Centurion Crew have had them fabbed up and they work great. You can find a lot of info there about them. All it requires is a plate (about $100 depending on the fabricator), a ram, and a momentary switch. A piano hinge gets welded to the plate and you copy the hole locations for your manual wakeplate and mount there.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-19-2017, 4:03 PM Reply   
No speed control? We would have mutany!
Old     (jaed)      Join Date: Feb 2012       11-20-2017, 12:53 PM Reply   
I own a 05 MB with the two speed so I am a little bias but.....

I like to the two speed it really helps when weighted down.
The wave is good from my take when you add some weight. Added 2 750 bags in the back filled about half way up depending on the amount of people in the boat. Then fill all the hard tanks up. Also upgraded the factory pumps and it fills much faster around half the time.

I can't vouch for the other boat but just my experience.
Old     (WillyFire)      Join Date: Sep 2017       12-16-2017, 12:09 PM Reply   
So I went with the avy. Very happy with the find after almost 4 months of searching can’t wait until spring now

Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       12-16-2017, 4:07 PM Reply   
Congrats, gonna be a great boat for you