Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-16-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
So my check engine light came on today in my 06 F150 Lariat with a 5.4L regular gas engine. I went to autozone to see what code it was and the P0182 code came up. It is the Fuel Temp Sensor and possibly faulty or loose according to them. Problem is i cant find anything online about and I refuse to go the dealer so they can take a $200 look.

A couple questions:
Anyone know where this is located so i can see if its wiring is loose?
Anyone know how to change it out?
Anyone know where to buy it? Part #? Web Link?
And any other help anyone can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-16-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
P0182 can come on for a number of reason, most commonly theres an issues with the wiring harness that connects to the sensor (Which sits on the fuel rail). I can't tell you the number of times I've seen these harness ruined by critters that climb up into your engine compartment and chew on wires. The sensor itself can also be bad and reading a low ambient operating temperature or just operating outside normal temps. The bad news is it could also be a bad PCM or a short in the PCM, which would mean some real money thrown at this to fix it.

My advise would be to inspect the wires running to your fuel rails and look for any damage. Also try cleaning your Mass Air Flow sensor, if this is reading too high or low it can throw off other temperature readings. How To: http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

If the wiring looks good you can try replacing the sensor, however you should probably know what youre doing before you go messing around with fuel rails. Also after the sensor is replaced you'll need to reflash the PCM.

Good luck and if you need any more info don't hesistate to ask.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-17-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Crap, dont have any critter damage and everythign looks ok on the sensor harness and fuel rail. It doesnt seem to be causing any problems. Do you think it will cause any problem leaving it for a month or so? Was hoping it was a simple replace the sensor job. Guess ill be making a trip to the stealership or similiar. Thanks very much for the response. If anyone else has some help please post!!
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-18-2011, 5:51 AM Reply   
Yeah, its unfortunate, that sensor is multi-purpose, provides fuel temp, pressure, flow, etc, etc. You might have some luck with just replacing that sensor, but it sounds too me like it might be a little more complicated. I don't think you'll have too much issue running it for a month or two like that, but thats just a guess, if it is in fact an issue with the PCM you could be doing some damage, if it starts to run funky or misfire any get it fixed quick, you dont want to frag your cats or blow a plug out of the head.

Good luck!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
Thanks again for the advice. It seems to be running normal but i will keep an eye on it. Gonna have a guy look at it tomorrow see if he can replace the sensor and hopefully that will solve the problem and clear the code. If not, well im sure it will not be fun. $$$
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Had my local mechanic clear the code. He thought possibly it was the gas cap wasnt closed properly. Havent had a chance to drive it yet but hopefull that dam yellow light of death wont come back. thanks again for the help.