Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-04-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
I want to get an anchor for my 20' Malibu VTX. Been looking at different anchor's on the internet and the box anchor looks like it would work well? By no means am I set on the box anchor, any advice on different anchors would be greatly appreciated. All I want the anchor for is to keep my boat off the beach....This will probably start a whole lot of hate.... Ocasionally I beach my boat! Only at location's where there's a fine sandy bottom, with all ballast totally empty. I would like to be able to drop off family and friend's then anchor my boat off shore. Okanagan lake can get a little rough at times, So the anchor will have to be able to sustain some chop (1'-3') without moving the boat around.
Old    mcbean7            11-04-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
What anchor you need depends on what your lake bottom consists of (sand, rock, mud, etc). I would start by asking local boat owners what they use and how successful it is for them. If $$ and storage space is not an issue, go for the box anchor. I don't think you can go wrong with that.
Our local lake has a muddy bottom and, so far, I have been successful using a mushroom anchor with a 4' chain and 150' of line. I like it because it's compact and has a rubber coating over it just in case you bang it on the hull during setting or retrieval.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
Get the box anchor rated for a 25' boat, and you will be good to go. And remember, for a traditional anchor, you need to anchor with 3' of line for every foot of depth, AT LEAST. This means a 100' anchor line will only allow you to anchor in aprox 30 ft of water. I think the ratio for the box anchor is 2:1, but double check this. Anchoring with too little rope is the main failure point for most boaters.

I say go wiht the next size anchor up from your boat size due to rough water conditions.

If you dont' want to spend the money on a box anchor, buy a standard hook style anchor kit. Like this one:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=31789&pdesc=8_Fluke_Style_Anchor_Kit &str=anchor%20kit&merchID=1008&r=view

I recommend against mushroom type anchors. They kinda suck in most conditions. SOme ppl have success, but once you use a properly set hooker style anchor, or a box anchor, you won't look back.

(Message edited by dhcomp on November 04, 2009)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-04-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Box Anchor and Anchor Buddy combo. That way you can drop people off and then let the boat float out deeper. When you want to load up, just pull it in and you're good to go!
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-04-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
box anchor
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-04-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
I got a 23' malibu and just use 2 mushroom anchors tied together with an anchor buddy. I only use the anchor like you described, tied up backward to a beach or shore. It's a lot cheaper than a box anchor.

What I like the best about these is I don't ever have to put any effort into it, just get close throw it out and reverse in. Works every time and I have never had it come loose. I've even used it in a current with a lot of wind and it held just fine. I think the biggest thing that makes this possible is the anchor buddy stretching in and out.
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-04-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for the quick feedback. The main area where we head into shore is real fine sand. The anchor buddy looks pretty slick as well.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-04-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
My days, that I anchor, are much more enjoyable with my box anchor than they were when I used conventional anchors. For me that pretty much covers the price.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
Yep Box anchor and Anchor Buddy is great. I use it and it alone no lead rope or chain and have no problems. Obviously this is in relatively shallow water.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-04-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
You can get a box anchor and not worry about whether the anchor is holding, or you can tie up with a different anchor and constantly have that uncomfortable feeling of wondering whether the anchor is holding.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
I've been using a 20# Navy anchor, it's like throwing a cement block in the water.
Works great. I think the weak link is the anchor buddy but it's a must for getting in and out to the boat.
Upload
It's fun watching the "ladies" pull the anchor
Old                11-04-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
+1 for the small box anchor with the anchor buddy. Works great and is easy to store. I have 100ft of rope that I can add if I want to go deep. The Danik Hook is also worth the money if you use rope.
http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=5F86B53E-B11B-451B-AD29-3AAE791F3D25
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-05-2009, 2:48 AM Reply   
Box Anchor = yes! And it folds perfectly with other items under one of the bow seats.

Anchor Buddy = Don't do it! I'm so sick of mine. As soon as wind comes, you have to re anchor, or swim extra long to your boat. Just get a regular rope. I was sold on this stretchable rope at first, but now I am just using regular marine rope.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       11-05-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
Box Anchor all the way.

Anchor Buddy works flawlessly when used properly.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-05-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
I've found river anchors to work the best, regardless of the bottom. And they're rubber coated so you don't bang things up. You can get two for the price of a box anchor. And I highly recommend that you get two to keep the boat in one spot (one at the bow, one at the stern). 16-18 pounders will work for you.

I've used them all. Navy anchors are the worst.

Upload
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-05-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
^^^^^these are what I meant when I recommended mushroom anchors. I use 2 10lbs at the bow and a rope to shore.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-05-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
"Anchor Buddy = Don't do it! I'm so sick of mine. As soon as wind comes, you have to re anchor, or swim extra long to your boat. Just get a regular rope. I was sold on this stretchable rope at first, but now I am just using regular marine rope."

Sounds like your just using an anchor buddy and anchoring and letting it float. The anchor buddy is designed to drop anchor, and back up to short, stretching the anchor buddy out. Then, use a sand spike or something at shore to keep your boat right where you want it. You make make a second, longer loop on the rope to the sand spike and let the boat float out away from shore a little. But, keep it connected to a sand spike on shore and you can pull the boat right back in, no swimming.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-05-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
I agree with Charlie,

When you use a Box Anchor, Anchor Buddy, and a Shore Spike properly it's a beautiful thing.

Whatever you buy, wait until the boat show comes to your area. I picked up all three of the above nicely discounted a few years ago. I'm sure the deals will be as good or even better now.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-05-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
Another vote for a box anchor.
Old                11-06-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have the standard Anchor Buddy and love it, but I wish I went with the shallow (shorter) one. The standard length does have a lot of stretch and may be the cause of Bu Coo's issues. You need to drop anchor at a good distance to allow it to stretch.

The stretch will also allow the anchor to hold better, but the standard Anchor Buddy when used with rope may have too much stretch for deep water cove type anchoring.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       11-06-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Do yourself a favor and get a box anchor.

(Message edited by family_deckhand on November 06, 2009)
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-06-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
I know what your saying Charlie. I have the sand spike that the anchor buddy company makes, and thats how I used it. And yes, I did the drag thing also. Maybe its where I boat, but when the wind comes in, it would stretch that anchor buddy so much, and push the boat towards the shore, we were just better with a normal rope.
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-06-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
Box anchor and Anchor buddy, you will never look back and well worth the money, also you do not have to use chain. Its funny how people will spend 50K on a boat but will not spend the extra $ on the great Anchor system so there 50K wont float away.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       11-07-2009, 12:08 AM Reply   
Box anchor is the only way to go. I use the small one and it is all I need.