Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-12-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
So my son and some friends took the boat out and in haste just looped the rope around the tow point. On a fall the handle popped and the rope got enough slack that it came off the tower. The handle sunk along with the entire rope before the rider could get to it. So there's $150 laying on the bottom of the lake. The handle was the Proline LG. We loved the handle but hated that it doubled as an anchor.

So I'm looking for a similar handle that floats. I was leaning toward the Totem or North but they be too thick and I wasn't sure if they floated. Any recommendations for a good floating handle similar to the LG. Thanks.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-12-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
What year was your LG? They seemed to have fixed the floating issue in the past couple of years.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-12-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
My North floats and feels so nice in my hands.... haha.

Glad I switched
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
carbon crap floats. will tear up your board and boat, but it floats!
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-12-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
I got the LG last year early summer. I'm not sure if it was 2007 or 2008 model.

How does the North size/thickness compare with the thickness of the LG and Totem?
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       05-12-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
We can swap you out. Email me caseyj@ridecwb.com and I'll get you straight. Yes, the sinking issue has been resolved but there are handles still out there. Technically, most rope and handle companies will not necessarily guarantee a handle to float unless the floats are included on the bridle. The problem lies w/ water filling the bar/end caps. In most cases you just need to pull the end cap off and drain. My new bars are 25% lighter than prior years and we have capped the bar to make them watertight. As wakeboarders we have it easy - all decent ski handles sink like rocks.

(Message edited by thedoubleupkid on May 12, 2009)
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-12-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
Just bought a boat and am looking into getting a handle and rope.....Was leaning to the '09 lyman handle and main line......after reading this post, does anyone know if this handle floats...do most newer handles float?
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-12-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
RONIX NORTH!
Old    thebiggmann            05-12-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hmm... Bought mine last year, definitely doesn't float... Gold/Black with a black line if that gives an idea what year it is.
Old     (ncsumalibu)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-13-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
Mine doesn't float either. I think I will send an email and see what we can work out.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-13-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Does the Totem or North float?
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-13-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
The new ones do.... Atleast 08 and 09's. I think Ronix might also replace the older ones that dont.... but dont quote me on that. I just overheard a rep saying that.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       05-13-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Chad - I'm pretty sure SL decided against putting the Lyman out on the market this year.

Biggs - send me a pic.

Dustin - 10-4

Remember to drain your handle once in a while and pull in your line after a set if you are just going to kick back.

Keep in mind when you purchase a handle w/o floats there is a possiblity it will sink.

No Floats -> Benefits -> lighter, unrestricting, simple, and sleek looking

w/ Floats -> Benefits -> it floats....
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-13-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
I noticed the North doesnt have the "anti roll system for handle passes"
What is the 'antiroll" system supposed to do, enable easier handle passes?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
one can always buy some pipe insulation and make their own floats real cheap *just a thought*
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
Accurate Era
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-13-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
Answered my own question after I took a second look at the SL website again....there are floats...CWB Board Co. A bunch of sites have the lyman handle and main line for sale
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Newest LG handle floats very well. Grip is great too.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       05-14-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
My bad - I heard differently around boat show season, they must have resolved the issue. The SL mainlines are for sure available for purchase.

Anti Roll technically eliminates the the small amount of roll created when a strong load is applied to the top of the bar. The bar itself rolls towards the rider about 5 degrees when this happens.

As for handle passes - I guess you can make a debate there. Having the static AR points keep the bar "open" so the yoke etc. are not in the way when spinning. Does it really make a difference if AR will help you make more spins - I kind of doubt it. A lot of guys think the static AR systems get in the way w/ spins. So it's a preference thing.