Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-27-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
I did a search on here and this hasn't been discussed since 09! We have a baby girl on the way and we want to get back on the lake ASAP! Just wondering what vests you guys have used for your newborns! We are hoping something new has come out in the last 5 years....
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-27-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
We got this one for our son. We really like it and he doesn't seem to mind it. When he outgrew it we loaned it to my cousin for her little boy, and now it's back in our hands again for our second son, and he wore it like a champ his first time out.
http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wake-Wa.../dp/B001MV6QKE
Attached Images

Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-27-2015, 10:23 PM Reply   
We bought this one for our daughter. Fits much better than others we have tried.
http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-nylon-i...nt+life+jacket

Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-28-2015, 5:07 AM Reply   
I find that the neoprene PFD are a lot more comfortable for the kids. They don't rub them as much and its a softer material.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-28-2015, 5:26 AM Reply   
Also try and get one without the front zipper, just the straps. The zipper comes up really high and squishes their face making it uncomfortable where without it it's like a deep v-cut allowing them to move their head better
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-28-2015, 6:04 AM Reply   
HO Sports one was comfy enough for a sitting up cat nap on the Pontoon.
Attached Images

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       05-28-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
We're having out first in June, and I am wondering how soon can they be taken out on the boat? When they can support their heads? Also, what about restraining them while the boat is moving? Do they ride on your laps or is there a way to restrain the carseat?
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-28-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
We're having out first in June, and I am wondering how soon can they be taken out on the boat? When they can support their heads? Also, what about restraining them while the boat is moving? Do they ride on your laps or is there a way to restrain the carseat?
My daughter was born March 21st 2012, we were out on the lake taking sets about 3 weeks later with her in the boat. In all honesty we weren't scared of her falling out of the boat, or it capsizing or anything of that nature, we were on a tiny lake in MN roughly 200 acres and most of the time were the only boat out. One of us would just hold her, or i'd have her in her car-seat between the observers seat/engine/drivers seat (direct drive), perfect spot for her.

I only had a jacket on her if i was out cruising around solo with her. The hum of the engine would knock her right out.

Now when #2 and 3 arrived 17 months later, that is a different story, haven't really got back in the swing of things since... LOL
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-28-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
We've had the neoprene HO that was used for both our boys (orange one above) which worked/works pretty well. If I had to do it again though, I'd get a nylon one for when they're an infant so that they stay cooler, and also to keep the neck chafing to a minimum. I like the neoprene ones for after they're a little bigger and mobile. Our almost 3-yr old is still in his as he's a little shy of 30 lbs yet.

The car seat is nice to lay them in with their life jacket on (just don't strap them in obviously - as a car seat will sink like a brick). If you've got a really young one, just take it easy and if you'll be heading over some rough water, it's best to have them in your arms to suck up some of the shocks.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-28-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   

We bought this one because it goes to a V like a diaper. We bought a cwb one but it was more square and rode up on his chin. He seemed to like this one.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-28-2015, 1:52 PM Reply   
Started our twins out at 3 months with two different vests. Both worked well but the best thing was bringing the infant seats with us so they could ride in the floor of the boat. They loved boat rides and it was an instant nap as long as the boat kept moving.
Attached Images

Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-28-2015, 9:12 PM Reply   
This is the best one we found.
http://m.rei.com/product/834895/stoh...mo-pfd-infants

I would say stay away from neoprene, they get hot and tend to fit real tight and both our kids hated them. They would stay in this one all day.

It has a zipper and straps, but the beauty is how low the zipper stops. Because of this it never bunched up in their face and had the security of the zipper.

Everyone we told to buy this has loved it.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-28-2015, 9:14 PM Reply   
I also second the life vest in the car seat but not strapped in technique. They are out like a light with engine and wind noise. If they do some how get thrown from the boat they will ideally desperate and float and the seat will sink.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-01-2015, 10:27 AM Reply   
Connelly Baby Safe Vest.

http://connellyskis.com/product/baby_nylon_vest

I have one for my 12lb daughter and another for my 14lb nephew.

The babies don't mind them. We filled up the bathtub and let the kids float around!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
Agree with those that have posted on the neoprene vest being too hot for the infants. At about age 2 the are more comfortable though.

Whatever you get, and for any age under three, the best favor you can do yourself is to have the kiddos wear the best around the house prior to going to the lake so they get used to it. You don't wanna fight a screaming kid who freaks out if the first time you put the vest on them is when you get out on the boat. If they are 2-3, make a big deal about the vest and how special it is and they'll want to wear it all the time, then it's not such a big deal when you get them on the boat.