Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       08-18-2015, 6:02 PM Reply   
I was one of the lucky ones that received a free bottle of the Spotless water spot remover from Chris at Spotless Boat. I have no affiliation with Chris or the company and the first time I heard of the product was when he mentioned it in the "Babes vs Hot Sauce" post.

I have a 2012 Super Air Nautique that receives 2 coats of wax in the spring and is kept on a lift with a canopy all summer. Unfortunately the cable on my boat lift broke so my boat had to be left in the water for a week while I fixed the lift. My boat has a black hull and blue sides so water spots show up big time. I used Spotless boat on a vast majority and left a few feet for Maguires hard water spot remover I already owned. Spotless was outstanding at removing the water spots and left a nice wax like shine on the boat (smells like carnuba too !!!). The Maguires works ok but I had to let it soak in for awhile before it would remove the spots. Spotless literally removed the spots in seconds. I then moved to the windshield which hasn't been cleaned all year. It absolutely looks brand new and again I simply sprayed it with spotless and wiped it off. I used 2 towels for all applications. The first towel was to wipe the spotless off and the second was to buff the wax left behind. I also used spotless on my dash and the aluminum frame around it. You would not believe how shiny the aluminum becomes after applying spotless.

I don't have any experience with Babes or hot sauce but I can't imagine they work better. This product removed water spots incredibly easy and smells great (if you like the smell of carnuba).

Unfortunately I lost my phone on Sunday and couldn't take pics of the before but I will take pics when I get home (I work out of town during the week).
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-22-2015, 7:30 PM Reply   
I got in on the product trial as well. I have an older boat but I take care of it very well and wipe it down after every use. I generally put wax on once a season. I'd like to do it more often but since my boat isn't stored where I live it's hard to find the time to work on it. I've tried babes and that didn't seem to be much better than just a normal wipe down. I gave spotless a try and even just using one towel to wipe down instead of the second wipe that Todd mentioned, it worked really well on water spots and left a good shine. Here are a few pics. It was hard to get other angles since I was wiping down in covered storage out of the sunlight. It looked closer to what it would if I had just done a wax job. I will continue to use it since I could tell more of a difference with this product vs just wiping it down.
Attached Images

Old     (robbo3)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-23-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
I've used Hot Sauce religiously since I bought a black boat and live in an area of extremely hard water with similar results that Todd describes. I wax in spring and wipe every time I pull it out of the water (sometimes the boat has been in the water for several days) and it shines up like it was just waxed.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-23-2015, 7:07 AM Reply   
I also got a sample. Up until this year, I've religiously wiped my boat every time it's used. This year we got a lift and it's hard to wipe it now. It comes out every weekend to get gassed up and wiped down but It was starting to get a little harder every time.

I've used Babes, and 50/50 vinegar/water. It gets waxed every year at least once.

I've always had a problem with the back shelf where my speakers are. The water spots are pretty thick. It actually feels rough to the touch. I figured what better spot to test this stuff out. To my surprise it cleaned the back effortlessly. It was literally spray on and wipe off! That area hasn't been this clean since it was new.

Not only did it cut the water spots fast, it left a nice coat of wax behind. I didn't buff it with a second cloth, but it still shined up pretty nice.

I tryed it on the windows and it worked great! After that I pretty much sprayed it on every hard surface.

I'll be using Spotless from now on. It does a great job and is very easy to use.

I didn't get any pictures, but I'll try to next week.

Thanks for the sample, you gained a customer.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
So is this something I could use after every use? Or once a month type thing? If it has wax in it, I'd rather not have to wipe it down 2-3 times to get all the residue off.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-23-2015, 6:10 PM Reply   
Chris I know you'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I bet you're stoked to see the reviews from some more people!!

As I said in the other thread, it's the best stuff we've ever used for our boats, and my dad said it's the best he's used in his 35+ years of boating, so we'll be ordering more over the off-season.

Beleza, I would say it's up to you. It's nice to spray the boat down with a super light coat while it's still wet after every 1-3 uses so it's just a simple one-step wipe, then every couple months go with a bit of a heavier coat to get more wax from it. We actually follow up the Spotless with a Meguiar's hydrophobic spray wax every few weeks to help keep a nice coat of wax on there.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-23-2015, 6:11 PM Reply   
I wiped it down once and it looked great. I'm sure I could've buffed it out, but I don't care that much.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2015, 5:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post
So is this something I could use after every use? Or once a month type thing? If it has wax in it, I'd rather not have to wipe it down 2-3 times to get all the residue off.
Beleza, Spotless is safe for daily use. There is one particular component that I chose to actually soften the existing lake water when we take our boats out of the water or put up on the lift. Doing so, seriously reduces your clean up time. I formulated Spotless so I did NOT have to wipe it down 2-3 times to get all the residue off.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2015, 7:11 AM Reply   
So where is the link to buy and check it out?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-25-2015, 7:42 AM Reply   
^^^^ ditto and maybe a wakeworld code. I just ran out of boat bling and want to try something else.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-25-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
I will also order some. Been using hot sauce, but I wouldn't mind seeing how this stuff does.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
www.spotlessboat.com
Old    DocPhilMD            08-25-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
I tried this, hot sauce and a couple others and it didn't touch my water spots. This worked really well on the billet and the glass on the boat but I couldn't get it to work on the gel coat.

Was I doing something wrong?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-25-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
Went ahead and ordered it. I figured for 24.00 shipped it's still cheaper than boat bling.

We'll see how it goes on a black boat that is outside but covered 365 day's a year. But it is always wiped down after each use but I couldn't tell a difference between just wiping down or using boat bling so I'm willing to try something else.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-26-2015, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
I couldn't tell a difference between just wiping down or using boat bling
I'm surprised you don't see a difference using Boat Bling, especially on black. Here's the side of my hull after 4 years that also sits outside 365 days a year and always use BB. I have yet to wax my boat since the day I got it and this pic was taken 2 days ago.
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2941
Size:  58.6 KB
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-26-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
I wax mine twice a year and even cut and polish but I guess the black fades that much easier. You can see where the straps connect to the trailer in the black on the gel. Because where the strap is it's not as faded. And the transom is even harder to keep from fading.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-30-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
I am beyond happy with it. I started with babes (green stuff), which I still use on my dodge's dash interior, and the wife's jetta. Switched to Bling on my mb f22, and now going to try spotless on my centurion avy I switched to this summer. So far spotless is great. I agree it is basically scentless, and found it does wonders on metal (chrome and billet) ...I am very excited to give it a whirl on my gel coat. It did wonders on my racks (that had spots I couldn't get off with bling or Babes spot remover) on the boat which was all I could access while it was covered, and I put some on my bikes this morning. It doesn't seem to be a "all around product" like the Green babes stuff, but it DOES seem to outstanding for metal, glass, and hopefully gel. I will continue to use Bling for my seats, I love the conditioning sauce. I am comfortable saying I will be using Spotless from here on out for everything other than interior.
Attached Images

Last edited by WakeDirt; 08-30-2015 at 3:25 PM.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-07-2015, 12:35 PM Reply   
Update: after 2nd use I am even more sold on this product. My gel coat is in very good shape everywhere except the transom. The PO must've had it on a lift where the transom was getting a lot of sun exposure. It is oxidized pretty bad. After using spotless it shines better than it did after a wax. I was taking a few pics today of my ghetto-gate and I could tell the difference on the transom. You can still see the oxidation but it looks better. I'm going to fix that this off season with a polisher. But I will continue to use this stuff after that to keep it looking good. Might not need to wax every season since it looks like it's been waxed after using Spotless.
Attached Images

Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-07-2015, 6:26 PM Reply   
Where are you guys seeing this cheaper than Boat Bling? Hot Sauce is $19 for a 32 ounce and $49 for a gallon. Am I missing something?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-07-2015, 7:30 PM Reply   
It's 11$ to ship boat bling and spotless was 24.00 shipped
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-07-2015, 7:34 PM Reply   
1/3 windex, 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 water. Add some essence oil of something (i use cinamon) if you dont like the smell. Why do you guys waste money on these new products that i am sure do a good job but the old tried and tested vinegar and windex and water does just as well?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-07-2015, 10:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
1/3 windex, 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 water. Add some essence oil of something (i use cinamon) if you dont like the smell. Why do you guys waste money on these new products that i am sure do a good job but the old tried and tested vinegar and windex and water does just as well?
Doesn't vinegar remove the nice coat of real wax you applied once or twice a year?
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-08-2015, 5:35 AM Reply   
How does it compare to PBC Speedgloss? I found that Babes smells awesome but not near as good as Speedgloss for removing water spots.
Been extremely happy with PBC for the gel
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-08-2015, 5:40 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure nothing works as good as old fashioned vinegar does. I find it pretty much impossible to cut water spots and leave a wax at the same time. Doesn't seem that you can have a acidic cleaner that will remove minerals also leave a wax. I've used babes and boatbling and captain Gary's. They all work really well so long as u aren't in hard water and your boat is pretty wet when pulled out but over time water spots will build up and I end up resorting to vinegar to cut the spots down.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-08-2015, 5:59 AM Reply   
I bought a bottle of this and am very impressed. My black boat sat in the lake for 2 days this weekend I then pulled it out and my daughter got sick so the boat sat in the sun for a couple of hours before I cleaned it. The boat cleaned up perfectly.
In the past I had always used vinegar and windex and this worked just as well. Hopefully my wax will survive spotless better than vinegar.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-08-2015, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I'm pretty sure nothing works as good as old fashioned vinegar does. I find it pretty much impossible to cut water spots and leave a wax at the same time. Doesn't seem that you can have a acidic cleaner that will remove minerals also leave a wax. I've used babes and boatbling and captain Gary's. They all work really well so long as u aren't in hard water and your boat is pretty wet when pulled out but over time water spots will build up and I end up resorting to vinegar to cut the spots down.
Ron, I know that it doesn't seem like you could have acidic cleaner with a wax but the advanced technology Carnuba additives we use are extremely soluble in a low pH.

Years ago, I formulated a Vinegar/Carnuba product using similar chemistry. It was a good product that I never brought to market because of the smell. It took me 10 years to formulate the replacement of vinegar with a better additive package. The streak free finish of the new formula is why I named it Spotless.

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 09-08-2015 at 5:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2015, 7:05 PM Reply   
Chris
I am ready to sign up. Do you sell it by the gallon? Where can I order it?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-08-2015, 9:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsupralaunch View Post
Ron, I know that it doesn't seem like you could have acidic cleaner with a wax but the advanced technology Carnuba additives we use are extremely soluble in a low pH.

Years ago, I formulated a Vinegar/Carnuba product using similar chemistry. It was a good product that I never brought to market because of the smell. It took me 10 years to formulate the replacement of vinegar with a better additive package. The streak free finish of the new formula is why I named it Spotless.
I used a 1/3 water, 1/3 windex, and 1/3 vinegar spray for years on my metal and tower, spotless is better, and can be used on my gel coat, I haven't tested on gel yet, but am sold on aluminum, chrome, glass and paint so far.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-09-2015, 4:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
chris
i am ready to sign up. Do you sell it by the gallon? Where can i order it?
www.spotlessboat.com
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-09-2015, 7:08 AM Reply   
Was looking for a gallon. Anyway to get a gallon?
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
It's 11$ to ship boat bling and spotless was 24.00 shipped
Amazon has both with free 2 day shipping using prime.

32 oz

Gallon
Old     (dizzy1)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-15-2015, 9:20 AM Reply   
I just bought a bottle of Spotless to try. Was using Bass Pros water spot remover then going over everything with Meguiars quick detailer. Got to admit, the Spotless works great. Didn't have to scrub like a do now and work amazing on really old waters sports on the tower and speaker cans. Pricey at $24 compared to what I was using but for how much easier it was and better results, cannot complain at all.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-01-2015, 2:46 PM Reply   
I wanted to help out Wakeworld's Toys for Tots Auction. Get some twin packs of Spotless for a great cause!

Merry Christmas to all

View action at: http://www.ebay.com/sch/wakeworld/m....p2047675.l2562
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       12-02-2015, 4:19 PM Reply   
I've tried everything. Boat Bling hot sauce has been the most effective for me. I just ordered a bottle of Spotless to compare. The reviews here are compelling. I wouldn't want to lose my track record of saying that I have tried everything, anyway.
Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       12-06-2015, 1:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallredrider View Post
I've tried everything. Boat Bling hot sauce has been the most effective for me. I just ordered a bottle of Spotless to compare. The reviews here are compelling. I wouldn't want to lose my track record of saying that I have tried everything, anyway.
Eager to hear your opinion!
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-06-2015, 6:09 AM Reply   
I use vinegar, water and liquid wax mixed together. It works great, takes the water spots off and it feels like it has been waxed when I'm done. Ive been using this for over 15 years now and even use it on my truck after it has been washed.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-06-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
Like above I have my own mixture. I found vinegar won't even touch the water spots by me. I mix 50/50 $1 store toilet bowl cleaner with this inexpensive wash and wax spray on detailer.

Works fantastic.

P.S. the toilet bowl cleaner will not hurt the gel or the decals even if you use 100%. Which I do from time to time if I am too lazy to mix. But then you get the water spots off without much shine.
Attached Images

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-06-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Like above I have my own mixture. I found vinegar won't even touch the water spots by me. I mix 50/50 $1 store toilet bowl cleaner with this inexpensive wash and wax spray on detailer.

Works fantastic.

P.S. the toilet bowl cleaner will not hurt the gel or the decals even if you use 100%. Which I do from time to time if I am too lazy to mix. But then you get the water spots off without much shine.
That is interesting, I would be careful mixing, if someone on here adds a bleach base (like some toilet bowl cleaners) and a ammonia base (like a windex), they will get to wake up next to their boat.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-06-2015, 8:25 PM Reply   
lol. A few years ago, I was very careful when I first mixed....cause like you said you never know...

But it was fine...
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-07-2015, 5:43 AM Reply   
I have tried everything as well. For a over the counter bottle spray, BoatCandy SpeedGloss takes the win.
Now I'm gonna have to try this and compare
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-09-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
I have tried everything as well. For a over the counter bottle spray, BoatCandy SpeedGloss takes the win.
Now I'm gonna have to try this and compare
Truekaotik: Excited you want to try Spotless, I proudly manufacture in Muncie. Hit me up if you will be at the Indy Boat Show at 844-540-1080 or Info@spotlessboat.com
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-09-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
I bought several on the Live Auction so I will let you know as I get to start using it
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-09-2015, 3:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Truekaotik: Excited you want to try Spotless, I proudly manufacture in Muncie. Hit me up if you will be at the Indy Boat Show at 844-540-1080 or Info@spotlessboat.com
I get a lot of work from your area! I will hit you up for sure, now I know your in Indiana
Old     (jstenger)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-11-2015, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
I wanted to help out Wakeworld's Toys for Tots Auction. Get some twin packs of Spotless for a great cause!

Merry Christmas to all

View action at: http://www.ebay.com/sch/wakeworld/m....p2047675.l2562
Link is not working. Is the auction over?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-11-2015, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
Link is not working. Is the auction over?
Auction has ended. Congrats to all. I want to personally thank everyone for helping raise almost $200 for Toys for Tots. It is an honor for me to help this year, more than you will ever know.

Quick note to auction winners. Due to shipping regulations, I use Fed Ex Ground which require contact phone#. Please respond to Wakeworld request, so I can ship on Mon.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-04-2016, 5:16 PM Reply   
Tried the Spotless, Hot Sauce and Speedgloss.

The HS and SG did about the same in removing/covering up gel coat water spots.
The SG left more film on glass of the 3.

The Spotless took a little more elbow grease or applications than the other 2 on gel coat, but I would venture to GUESS that if the Spotless had wax in it, it would probably remove/hide the same as the others.

Last edited by rexlex01; 07-04-2016 at 5:20 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-04-2016, 5:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post

Works fantastic.

Do you wear any gloves at the ramp when using the toilet bowl mixture?
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2016, 9:40 AM Reply   
Based on my super scientific testing I think Spotless has the best product, hands down. I've been letting others try it out on their boats, or help me with my boat wipe-down at the end of the day, along with Hot Sauce, Boat Candy, and Babes. Spotless has come out #1 every time (and Babes last every time.) Hot Sauce and Boat Candy seems to be a toss-up depending on how people tolerate the smells.