Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       08-21-2015, 6:28 AM Reply   
Hey guys, a buddy of mine is looking to get his first boat and found a clean, original owner 1999 Tige 2100v for sale with 700 hours.

He wakeboards/kneeboards at this time from behind my boat and has just recently started learning how to surf, so I'm sure he'll want to be able to do that too.

Boat looks nice, but neither of us have ever been on a Tige/know anything about them so I'm wondering if this boat would be a good fit for him? Can you make a ghetto gate for them like people do on older malibu's and such? It appears to have a 'wake plate' in the pictures, like similar to what the new Moomba's have is the best reference I can think of.

Anyways, any input would be great, we're trying to lake test it on Sunday but the guy doesn't have any ballast bags or anything so can't really set it up or anything.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2015, 6:43 AM Reply   
I have a 1999 Tige. I bought it new in '99 and have over 2500 hrs on her. It's been a great boat. I do all my own service ( Water pump, oil, fluids etc...) and the only time it was in the shop was for a warranty problem with the Merc Mag skier about a year after purchase. Other than that its been flawless for almost 15yrs.
The Tapps system is what you are calling the wake plate. I does work good for making the wake bigger. I added extra weight in mine and I really like the shape and ramp of the wake when riding.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-21-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
I am a owner of one as well. And this boat will prob be great for what he is looking for. I board and surf. Mine has a aftermarket tower so I can't speak to that. Taps plate does work well for changing the wake. For the price i don't think u can beat it.
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       08-21-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
Good deal, thanks for the responses. Speaking of price...they are asking $18k....what should he be paying for it? It does have a tower/racks/bimini, is on a tandem trailer and as I said overall appears clean.

Also, the owner said it has a 2:1 transmission in his listing, is that right?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-21-2015, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
Good deal, thanks for the responses. Speaking of price...they are asking $18k....what should he be paying for it? It does have a tower/racks/bimini, is on a tandem trailer and as I said overall appears clean.

Also, the owner said it has a 2:1 transmission in his listing, is that right?
My personal opinion is I wouldn't pay more than 15 for any 99 Tige. How is the interior?

TAPs doesn't really make the wake bigger so much as it can help you fine tune the SHAPE of the wake.

These boats have spray pockets which, to me, would be difficult to make a ghetto gate with. They will surf well though with a traditional surf setup of slamming one side of the boat.

For 18, there are other models out there that are better in my opinion that will have better resale down the road. Get it for less and you got a good boat for a good deal.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
I would think that would be a ballpark price for a good condition boat. If it has always been garaged, has a good interior, sound motor, good gelcoat and no issues it would definately be worth that in my area.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-21-2015, 1:52 PM Reply   
I thought people talk about the vdrive unit? Either 1:1 or 1:1.5 or something like that I think new big boats have 2:1.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-22-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
I got my 98 2200V for a little over $17k 6 years ago with less than 300 hrs on it. I would not pay more than $15 unless it has a nice tower, perfect pass, Acme prop and is immaculate.

That said, we have put another 500 fantastic hours on it. Put 4 hrs on it today. Only wish it had more power. It was great at sea level; however, at altitude in Colorado I had to re prop. Would not be a big deal except I like to slalom and it has to go about 3850 RPMs to pull me at 33MPH.

Last edited by Bakes; 08-22-2015 at 7:58 PM. Reason: Update
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-23-2015, 6:40 PM Reply   
I had that exact boat. It was a social boat so it came with the extreme phat tower. Its a great boat to get into, especially for people new to inboards. The interior is massive for that generation of boats, it ride super well in rough water, has the potential to throw pretty decent surf wave. However, the only draw back to that boat is when you want to weight it for wake boarding. The hull just hates extra weight. Anything more than 1000lbs and all you get is a nice slab of white wash onto of the wake. But, if they plan on running it with no weight, then it doesn't matter.

Another thing to consider, keep water off the back hatches. I would tell people to dry off on the platform, or to hurry into the boat. Do not sit wet life jackets or wakeboard back there, the reason being, all the water drip of the rear center hatch and right onto of the engine belt and pulleys. I've replaced a few alternators, pulleys, and belts just because of it. Other than that, its a pretty good boat.
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       08-26-2015, 12:07 PM Reply   
Here's the link....we're planning to check it out this weekend.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/bod/5134945034.html

Owner said it has cruise, heater, shower, fat sacs.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by That_Guy; 08-26-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-26-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
That 21V will have a borg warner velvet drive transmission thats 1:1 and a Walter v-drive thats likely a 1:1 but could also be a 1.48:1.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2015, 8:00 PM Reply   
For $19k it is not really a great deal. If it has perfect pass and an upgraded prop maybe worth $17k....maybe. For $15k I would jump on it. The problem with $19k is that you are pretty close to $25k. For $25k you have a lot more options, Besides, in the end you will spend a few thousand on things like the alternator, starter and other odds and ends. Also, it is near the end of the season. That gives you 6-8 months to find a great deal.

My guess is that he just had the upholstery re-done and is throwing that into the price. Any way you look at it, it is still 15 yrs old and has 700 hrs. That sounds more like $15k than $19k.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2015, 12:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
For $19k it is not really a great deal. If it has perfect pass and an upgraded prop maybe worth $17k....maybe. For $15k I would jump on it. The problem with $19k is that you are pretty close to $25k. For $25k you have a lot more options, Besides, in the end you will spend a few thousand on things like the alternator, starter and other odds and ends. Also, it is near the end of the season. That gives you 6-8 months to find a great deal.

My guess is that he just had the upholstery re-done and is throwing that into the price. Any way you look at it, it is still 15 yrs old and has 700 hrs. That sounds more like $15k than $19k.
I would agree. Not nearly worth jumping on at 19k.

16,500-17,000 at most. Doesn't look like pp in gauge cluster and that tower was one of the worst towers ever made

Last edited by xstarrider; 08-27-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-27-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Just for a price point, I bought my 2000 21v RE from a dealership this past winter. I paid $17,850.

Came with a new engine/warranty (with paperwork), perfect pass, Wetsounds inboard/tower setup, 3 rear ballast bags/bow ballast bag (manual pump)..interior in great shape for a 15 yr old boat..

One negotiation point that you can fall back on is it has the Metcrap tower on it....that will be the first thing that needs to go....

Like most, I obsessively tracked this forum and a few others and I (personally) came to the conclusion that some on here will disregard a boat for some pretty petty reasons.

Personally, I think the 21v is one of the best budget v-drive boats out there. I have two small kids and a ton of family/friends that come out with me. Will an early 2000's SAN throw a "better" wake? I guess, but I won't ever be good enough to notice the subtle differences and if/when I ever seriously get that good, well it would probably be time to upgrade to a newer boat anyway so it's a moot point plus we will be crammed in that boat vs my Tige. There will also almost always be "that guy(s)" who come on here and claim that's too steep, you should pay 25%+ less that what is being asked. If you can negotiate down that low more power to ya but there were 3 other buyers behind me looking at this boat for the price point I paid so I don't feel as if I got a terrible deal...

You will be hard pressed to find a similar vdrive for that price that has the freeboard, storage, and size for under $20k in similar shape....

You throw an 1100 pd enzo sac from Mikes Liquid Audio in there and you will be ropeless with a great surf wave (for the age of the boat) and you won't have to literally take out a mortgage to do it....

Also, I'm from Dayton, OH so pending my schedule I might be able to go and kick the tires for ya if you want....

Last edited by BurnMac42; 08-27-2015 at 7:29 AM.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2015, 7:10 PM Reply   
$17.8k is a great price for your boat with a new engine, PP and a tower. Let's see some pics!

$19k is a lot of money for that boat in September. $15-16k is a decent price. In fact, there is a 99 21v on boat trader for $16k right now.